Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.22 - 4.24.2016

well if that happens...it will be crowded...but 150 or so would be awesome! Music booked for Friday night and fun at the fire pit Friday and Saturday night...this is going to be an other really fun event!
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / Yamaha WR250R "Slim"

Quote Originally Posted by alabeemer View Post
    well if that happens...it will be crowded...but 150 or so would be awesome! Music booked for Friday night and fun at the fire pit Friday and Saturday night...this is going to be an other really fun event!
    Vance, because I know you don't hear it enough, thanks for organizing this and other events. You stepped up 5+ years ago and many of us are beniffiting from yours and others hard work. I look forward to seeing you this weekend.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

first timer.

Just registered few days ago. It is my first MOA getaway. Looking forward to it.

I think we're going to have a good time helipilot2.
    MOA # 143779

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I think we're going to have a good time helipilot2.
    I hope so!!! It is my first one so I hope to get so me good advise from you guys about where to ride. I am from Eastern NC and not very familiar with the Western side of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by helipilot2 View Post
    I hope so!!! It is my first one so I hope to get so me good advise from you guys about where to ride. I am from Eastern NC and not very familiar with the Western side of the state.

I worked up a series of ride loops for the first event and they continue to use them. There are far more roads than those, though... but difficult to fit onto reasonably-sized map because of all the detail.

A very good source for reference is America Rides Maps.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

I am from lower Alabama, and completely in the dark regarding the ways of western North Carolinians, or their legendary curvey roads. We may go on this adventure and not return. And in the words of Ewan Mcgreggor in "Long Way Down" why would we go if we knew before we left that we were going to make it back home safe and sound. Might as well just go to the local carnival and ride the roller coaster.

I'll be relying heavily on my GPS and butler maps and the knowledge of those that have gone before me. I plan on having a motorcycle, a tent, a Kermit chair, a fire, an adult beverage, and new friends to share it with... The best I can tell this is what the MOA is all about.
    Last edited by rangerreece; 02-04-2016 at 12:32 AM.
    MOA # 143779

Ima coming!

Big ole me on my big purple 1995 K1100LT named Pōni (Hawaiian word meaning Purple. I am from Hawaii. Also sounds like a steel horse I ride) will be coming to the MOA Getaway Fontana, North Carolina, event. I attended MOA Getaway Pineville last year and had a blast. As long as flying bricks are welcome, I am there.

I will be registering for a room and all that tomorrow. Anything I should know? I bunked with BlueRidgeGS from here in a big muti-room cabin and it was awesome.
    Purple 1995 BMW K1100LT named Pōni with the license plate ICBMW

Chris,
    Pele cried when I left the islands. (Rain on the mountains) A flying brick loco boy always welcome around my camp fire.
    MOA # 143779

I will be driving from work with my bike on the back of a trailer, so yes, I will be that guy that will have a truck and a trailer in case it is needed. I will be more than happy to help anybody out with a lift if needed... I was planning on ridding there but I have to do some things for work early in the AM Friday ...I will be there Friday afternoon. It is like a 6 hr drive for me.
    2016 BMW R1200GSA

I will be driving from work with my bike on the back of a trailer, so yes, I will be that guy that will have a truck and a trailer in case it is needed. I will be more than happy to help anybody out with a lift if needed... I was planning on ridding there but I have to do some things for work early in the AM Friday ...I will be there Friday afternoon. It is like a 6 hr drive for me.
    Totally understandable. And having a truck and trailer available is always a plus. My ministry, His Blood Warriors, was able to obtain a trailer a few years ago. It's quite the ministry tool, as almost every time we have our chase vehicle and trailer on a ride, someone enievitably ends up with their bike on board. People really appreciate that level of support.

As a full time employee myself, with family, I've learned that it is difficult to squeeze in all the motorcycle life has to offer. This year, my approach is to be more strategic in my commitment and manage my calander more effectively. I've found if I wait till the last minute and simply keep the event as an "option" more often than not, something shows up on my calander that will compete with it. So Fontana and Hamburg have become my focal points, and I'll work around those two major events.
    MOA # 143779

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Totally understandable. And having a truck and trailer available is always a plus. My ministry, His Blood Warriors, was able to obtain a trailer a few years ago. It's quite the ministry tool, as almost every time we have our chase vehicle and trailer on a ride, someone enievitably ends up with their bike on board. People really appreciate that level of support.

As a full time employee myself, with family, I've learned that it is difficult to squeeze in all the motorcycle life has to offer. This year, my approach is to be more strategic in my commitment and manage my calander more effectively. I've found if I wait till the last minute and simply keep the event as an "option" more often than not, something shows up on my calander that will compete with it. So Fontana and Hamburg have become my focal points, and I'll work around those two major events.

May I ask who you work for there in Enterprise? Mother Rucker?
    2016 BMW R1200GSA

May I ask who you work for there in Enterprise? Mother Rucker?
    I'm a DAC teaching the BK 117 C2 Air Bus. Retired from the Army in 08 after 22 years as a Ranger and 58D pilot. Currently live in Enterprise.
    MOA # 143779

OK! Good!! I am a Lakota Pilot for the NCNG.. Was there in 06. Currently flying 145's for a hospital in Greenville, NC.

We'll talk later. Would like to hear how's the UH-72's doing the primary training job..
    2016 BMW R1200GSA

Campfire talk. I was the thunder flight platoon leader teaching 58D's at Hanchey in '06. I left in March of that year for an Iraqi deployment during the surge at my 20th year. Retired in '08 came back to Rucker with the DAC gig, been here ever since.
    MOA # 143779