• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.22 - 4.24.2016

Count me in

While my friend Bob and I were on our way to the getaway at Pine Mtn. State Resort Park in Kentucky this year from the Atlanta area the clutch cable broke on my 1984 R100RS. Since no one had a replacement in stock we had to cancel our trip. Fontana Village is only a 1/2 day ride and a great area to ride being so close to the Tail of the Dragon/Deals Gap/Cherohala skyway area.

I will definitely make this getaway and hopefully Bob will join us also.

We are excited about the return of the Fontana MOA Getaway to the schedule of events for 2016. I am excited to see that since this was posted there has been a lot of activity and in fact there are already several who have made the reservations with the lodge. You may do that at any time by calling the lodge directly at 800-849-2258 and booking your rooms or cabins (please note the cancellation clause). We will have more information posted here and online and expect to have registration open on January first for the event itself through the MOA website. The event fee again this year will be $89 per person and that includes a Friday night reception with appetizers, a Saturday buffet an event t-shirt and a shot at some great door prizes too! There will be maps available for review on Friday night of local rides and attractions in the area that you can visit while there or on the way to or from the event. If you haven't been to an MOA Getaway, talk to someone that has...they are a lot of fun!

So, there is much more to come so stay tuned online and here. We'll have registration open soon....and I hope you will join us in "Funtana"!

I just mapped this one and saw why it's so popular. Real close to tail of the dragon. Amazing how tail of the dragon has become such an established destination it shows up with a dedicated icon on google maps.
Man... I wish I could go. Maybe the stars will align this year.

I'm thinking the camp site may be a good option. Anyone got any feedback from previous getaways on the camp site and if it feasibly accommodates the getaway activities?

Hey there Ranger, the campground is located down near the dam about 1.5 miles from the main lodge. This is the 4th annual event and we have always had several campers either in tents or RV's in the campground. There is of course a bathhouse and typical campground amenities. It is an easy ride up to the lodge where all the group activities take place although it does get dark in them hills so one would want to be very careful returning late at night. I hope you can join us...it is an awesome area to ride in!

Hey there Ranger, the campground is located down near the dam about 1.5 miles from the main lodge. This is the 4th annual event and we have always had several campers either in tents or RV's in the campground. There is of course a bathhouse and typical campground amenities. It is an easy ride up to the lodge where all the group activities take place although it does get dark in them hills so one would want to be very careful returning late at night. I hope you can join us...it is an awesome area to ride in!

Thanks Vance. This is good to know. I bet if a half dozen or so of us camped it would make for a good after party party.

Post Your Favorites Around Fontana

Part of the Getaway concept is the self discovery of the surrounding area. This year, we would like to have your input on some of the destinations around western North Carolina for Getaway attendees. Can you help out and post your "can't miss" spots near Fontana? Think of your co worker who is taking a motorcycle trip to the mountains and you say 'You can't miss "x"?' What is "x" to you?

It doesn't have to be motorcycle related. It could simply be a roadside stop, restaurant, interesting view or the best place to stop and take five. The goal is to produce a list and maybe some routes that take in the "attractions." It also fuels some thought here for people who may not have ridden the area or considering attending. If you have a photo to post, that is cool as well. Roads and routes are appreciated as well.

Tell us your favorite!

Here are a few from previous years in and around the lodge and on one of the fantastic rides around the area. This was 2013 and we proved that rip that even pouring rain won't stop the fun!
IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1240.jpg

That's it! I'm Going! I think I'll go up early, Vance you and Mari riding up early? If so PM me we'll work out a road trip, and the details, and I'll help out with set up etc.

Thanks Vance. This is good to know. I bet if a half dozen or so of us camped it would make for a good after party party.
I am certain that is the case!

We will be riding up most likely on Thursday to get everything ready for setup. I'll get with you ahead of time and work out the details.... I look forward to seeing you guys there and we'll put the fun in "Funtana"!

I am certain that is the case!

We will be riding up most likely on Thursday to get everything ready for setup. I'll get with you ahead of time and work out the details.... I look forward to seeing you guys there and we'll put the fun in "Funtana"!

I'm looking forward to it already. Merry Christmas to you and Mari.

Cherohala Skyway

While at Fontana Village don't miss riding the Cherohala Skyway. It's a great motorcycle road that lasts for over 50 miles and has great sweeping turns and crosses over 5000 ft. elevation.
http://cherohala.org/

Also ride Hwy. 28 to Franklin. It's a 48 mile run with tight, technical turns. In my opinion it's more fun than Tail of the Dragon due to the fact that it has very little traffic.

Working out the details on attending this one this year with the same crew that I brought down to Pine Mountain. One of us has never made a trip to that area, so we have to break him in.:thumb

Back