Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.22 - 4.24.2016

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.22 - 4.24.2016

Information about this event can be found at:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/events/event_d....asp?id=751007
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Ambassador since 1984 macstudley's Avatar

Count me in

While my friend Bob and I were on our way to the getaway at Pine Mtn. State Resort Park in Kentucky this year from the Atlanta area the clutch cable broke on my 1984 R100RS. Since no one had a replacement in stock we had to cancel our trip. Fontana Village is only a 1/2 day ride and a great area to ride being so close to the Tail of the Dragon/Deals Gap/Cherohala skyway area.

I will definitely make this getaway and hopefully Bob will join us also.
    Mac McEnheimer
    facebook.com/mac.mcenheimer / 770-820-nine nine five four
    When approaching a corner stay on the gas until you see Jesus or Elvis, then brake HARD!

Mac, Julie and I also plan to attend...will be great to see you!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw)

Ambassador since 1984 macstudley's Avatar
    I'm so glad to hear that and look forward to spending time with you two.
    Mac McEnheimer
    facebook.com/mac.mcenheimer / 770-820-nine nine five four
    When approaching a corner stay on the gas until you see Jesus or Elvis, then brake HARD!

K1600GTL

Did I pass over the cost?

Curious of the fees for the event. Looking forward to it!

We are excited about the return of the Fontana MOA Getaway to the schedule of events for 2016. I am excited to see that since this was posted there has been a lot of activity and in fact there are already several who have made the reservations with the lodge. You may do that at any time by calling the lodge directly at 800-849-2258 and booking your rooms or cabins (please note the cancellation clause). We will have more information posted here and online and expect to have registration open on January first for the event itself through the MOA website. The event fee again this year will be $89 per person and that includes a Friday night reception with appetizers, a Saturday buffet an event t-shirt and a shot at some great door prizes too! There will be maps available for review on Friday night of local rides and attractions in the area that you can visit while there or on the way to or from the event. If you haven't been to an MOA Getaway, talk to someone that has...they are a lot of fun!

So, there is much more to come so stay tuned online and here. We'll have registration open soon....and I hope you will join us in "Funtana"!
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / Yamaha WR250R "Slim"

I just mapped this one and saw why it's so popular. Real close to tail of the dragon. Amazing how tail of the dragon has become such an established destination it shows up with a dedicated icon on google maps.
    Man... I wish I could go. Maybe the stars will align this year.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

I'm thinking the camp site may be a good option. Anyone got any feedback from previous getaways on the camp site and if it feasibly accommodates the getaway activities?
    MOA # 143779

Hey there Ranger, the campground is located down near the dam about 1.5 miles from the main lodge. This is the 4th annual event and we have always had several campers either in tents or RV's in the campground. There is of course a bathhouse and typical campground amenities. It is an easy ride up to the lodge where all the group activities take place although it does get dark in them hills so one would want to be very careful returning late at night. I hope you can join us...it is an awesome area to ride in!
    Vance Harrelson

Quote Originally Posted by alabeemer View Post
    Hey there Ranger, the campground is located down near the dam about 1.5 miles from the main lodge. This is the 4th annual event and we have always had several campers either in tents or RV's in the campground. There is of course a bathhouse and typical campground amenities. It is an easy ride up to the lodge where all the group activities take place although it does get dark in them hills so one would want to be very careful returning late at night. I hope you can join us...it is an awesome area to ride in!
    Thanks Vance. This is good to know. I bet if a half dozen or so of us camped it would make for a good after party party.
    MOA # 143779

Post Your Favorites Around Fontana

Part of the Getaway concept is the self discovery of the surrounding area. This year, we would like to have your input on some of the destinations around western North Carolina for Getaway attendees. Can you help out and post your "can't miss" spots near Fontana? Think of your co worker who is taking a motorcycle trip to the mountains and you say 'You can't miss "x"?' What is "x" to you?

It doesn't have to be motorcycle related. It could simply be a roadside stop, restaurant, interesting view or the best place to stop and take five. The goal is to produce a list and maybe some routes that take in the "attractions." It also fuels some thought here for people who may not have ridden the area or considering attending. If you have a photo to post, that is cool as well. Roads and routes are appreciated as well.

Tell us your favorite!
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

Here are a few from previous years in and around the lodge and on one of the fantastic rides around the area. This was 2013 and we proved that rip that even pouring rain won't stop the fun!
    IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    Vance Harrelson

That's it! I'm Going! I think I'll go up early, Vance you and Mari riding up early? If so PM me we'll work out a road trip, and the details, and I'll help out with set up etc.
    MOA # 143779

Done!

MOA # 143779

Note the dietary restrictions...
    MOA # 143779