• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lesson Learned

I normally am thoughtful packing for a ride and exercise common sense. Not this time, but I luckily dodged a bullet. I think this experience might be good fodder to Myth Busters show. How much heat does it take to explode a can of Slime Quick Spair (this is not the same as a plastic bottle of Slime, which is NOT under pressure). It is similar to Fix-A-Flat, but the Slime labeling. I know, I know...its UNDER PRESSURE, shoulda been my first clue to leave it in truck.:banghead

I was in the middle of 600 mile trip from Georgia to Maryland, I had about 400 miles under my belt on my '98 R1100RT. Running like a champ and traffic moving between 75-85 nearly all the way through GA, SC then NC and almost to the VA line. Fine, I hate the slab, but getting it over with and making it to my first destination (office) was ok with me this time.

I was getting a bit drowsing, pulled off to grab a coffee :coffee. Fortunately, nobody was behind me on the exit ramp :whew or I'd be looking for a good lawyer. Deccelerating down to 50, 40, 30...to merge onto the side road and BAM, like a shotgun going off next to my helmet. :uhoh I thought my rear tire blew out, but the bike was handling fine. Pulled up to a stoplight and glanced to my left, backward and saw green goo oozing out of the pannier. Whew, I thought, the can popped...but man was that loud.

When I pulled into a gas station, dismounted to take a look :brow ...it was still steaming! Took a closer look and :doh The first pic is right after I got off the bike to take a look--still steaming from the explosion]. The second if the pannier, emptied and wiped up mostly, before I trimmed the melted parts that dripped onto the exhaust. The last is a shot of it cleaned up, and ready for the road north. Hopefully, by the time I return to Georgia early next week, the used pannier will arrive.

The can itself was loooooong gone into the stratosphere, leaving its puke green innards in my case, along the road, on the muffler, wheel, even on the right side pannier. A pullover shirt was intact, but stained red (from the heat??) and green. My left side Kathy's Bag is a gonner, ripped through like it stepped on an IED. Note to self, do not ever carry pressurized tire medicine. And for pete sake, never take a chance on the muffler side. My left pannier did not have the heat shield when I bought it used, in great shape for a'98 with just 25k on it, but missing that piece. That will be remedied with requisite over engineering when I get the used bag from eBay.

I am ok. I had just sharpened my Marlinspike knife before leaving, so I shaved the melted pannier from the muffler and trimmed the melted parts on the bottom to forge ahead with my trip--a little wiser from the experience. Bike is fine, bought a left side from eBay and will YouTube the lock cylinder extraction/insertion vids. Could have been worse, for me and anyone behind me. Damn, was that loud!!!

I got lucky in my blissful stupidity. Sharing this for anyone else wandering down the path. That was dumb, yup. :nono

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Would not have believed it were it not for the pictures.

Me either, although my ears are still ringing. Fortunately, the can was oriented such that the can projected aft, and not into my left calf. It was a small bomb on board, complete with the sound and jolt.

There is supposed to be an insulating heat reflecting pad stuck on the bottom of the left side bag. Did it get blown off or was it missing? It really helps to keep things cooler in the muffler side bag.

And yeah, you were very lucky it blew out the direction it did. Those bags are surprisingly tough.

I'm pretty sure that was aliens dude. Consider yourself lucky, when those aliens hit you with green slime ray it does not end well.

Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but it looks like your bag is either hanging low or leaning towards the exhaust. I've never felt any excessive heat in the left bag when I get off my RT.

There is supposed to be an insulating pad on the bottom of the case: 46 54 2 316 611 HEAT INSULATION $21.62

My '99 RT heat shield gone also

I think that on most of these older bikes, the heat shield is missing--mine was and I never thought anything about it until seeing those photos. The most dangerous things I carry in the left bag is my dirty laundry after camping, and the heat really makes it "fragrant".
So anyway, I went to NAPA and bought a sheet of "Fel-Ramic 3009" for 8 bucks which is enough to do 8 bags. Its gasket material for exhaust duty, 3/16 thick and aluminum on one side. Should work well.:)

Back