Thread: Need advice: adventure bike or convert my own bike?

Need advice: adventure bike or convert my own bike?

I'm planning a trip up the PCH in spring/summer and wondering what I can do to my r1100s BCR to make it more comfortable on 4-8hr/day rides (barbacks, daylong seat, higher windshield, need luggage, etc). All these things cost money and wondering if it's better to just find a cheap used R1200gsa or R1150gsa....or something more suitable.? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by plexiform; 12-17-2015 at 08:30 AM.

The PCH is a beautiful ride! I've done it many times on my 12GS. Could be done on the BCR but not nearly as comfortable. If you decide to not use your BCR, renting something might make more sense than either trying to make do or getting a different bike. Enjoy the ride!
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I could ride my bcr all day long, I am 6'1", my set up was Rapiddog bar backs, Cee Bailey (early style) windshield, BMW comfort seat (1" taller stops forward slide), Peg lowering kit.

That said, the GS's are hard to beat Rental might be a good option Dubbelju Rentals in San Fran is Excellent, and the F800GS, aside from the seat is a great ride too, I actually prefer it to the R12GS in the twisty stuff.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by plexiform View Post
    what I can do to my r1100s BCR to make it more comfortable on 4-8hr/day rides (barbacks, daylong seat, higher windshield, need luggage, etc).
    Buy a set of BMW saddle bags, take a weekend trip and see how you get along with your current setup.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Buy a set of BMW saddle bags, take a weekend trip and see how you get along with your current setup.
    Good advice.

I take my S, which has an identical setup to a BCR, on multi-day trips and can easily do 1,000km in one day with no issues. Only change I've made is a Corbin seat. I had the taller windscreen and traded back to the standard one. No buffeting with the lower screen. If you don't want to invest in the excellent BMW System luggage, there are plenty of options for soft luggage.

If you think you need bar-backs, try www.rapiddog.net . Excellent product.

Having ridden my R1100S on several multi thousand mile trips my best suggestion is to install a peg lowering kit. My S also has the bars over the triple clamp so check that set up as well. BMW cases work fine and a taller windscreen may help, but that depends on your personal ergonomics. I also have a Corbin saddle and prefer the firmer seat. Personally I also prefer the S transmission over my 04' GSA 'box 'o rocks' clunky tranny and it makes for a smoother ride on a twisty highway like the PCH. I say make a few mods and enjoy the ride on the S.