• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need advice: adventure bike or convert my own bike?

plexiform

I'm planning a trip up the PCH in spring/summer and wondering what I can do to my r1100s BCR to make it more comfortable on 4-8hr/day rides (barbacks, daylong seat, higher windshield, need luggage, etc). All these things cost money and wondering if it's better to just find a cheap used R1200gsa or R1150gsa....or something more suitable.? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The PCH is a beautiful ride! I've done it many times on my 12GS. Could be done on the BCR but not nearly as comfortable. If you decide to not use your BCR, renting something might make more sense than either trying to make do or getting a different bike. Enjoy the ride!

I could ride my bcr all day long, I am 6'1", my set up was Rapiddog bar backs, Cee Bailey (early style) windshield, BMW comfort seat (1" taller stops forward slide), Peg lowering kit.

That said, the GS's are hard to beat Rental might be a good option Dubbelju Rentals in San Fran is Excellent, and the F800GS, aside from the seat is a great ride too, I actually prefer it to the R12GS in the twisty stuff.

what I can do to my r1100s BCR to make it more comfortable on 4-8hr/day rides (barbacks, daylong seat, higher windshield, need luggage, etc).

Buy a set of BMW saddle bags, take a weekend trip and see how you get along with your current setup.

Buy a set of BMW saddle bags, take a weekend trip and see how you get along with your current setup.

Good advice.

I take my S, which has an identical setup to a BCR, on multi-day trips and can easily do 1,000km in one day with no issues. Only change I've made is a Corbin seat. I had the taller windscreen and traded back to the standard one. No buffeting with the lower screen. If you don't want to invest in the excellent BMW System luggage, there are plenty of options for soft luggage.

If you think you need bar-backs, try www.rapiddog.net . Excellent product.

Having ridden my R1100S on several multi thousand mile trips my best suggestion is to install a peg lowering kit. My S also has the bars over the triple clamp so check that set up as well. BMW cases work fine and a taller windscreen may help, but that depends on your personal ergonomics. I also have a Corbin saddle and prefer the firmer seat. Personally I also prefer the S transmission over my 04' GSA 'box 'o rocks' clunky tranny and it makes for a smoother ride on a twisty highway like the PCH. I say make a few mods and enjoy the ride on the S.

Back