• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1972 R75/5 SWB Toaster

GordonPeters

Hi, fellow Beemer Riders

I've arrived at a fork in the road and have decided to sell my '72 Toaster. I'm hoping some of you can give me some feedback on pricing???

I've checked out our MOA Fleamarket, where prices range from U.S. $5,000 to $8,200 currently.

A review of oodle.com information suggests a range of U.S. $6,500 to $10,400 (with an outrider listed at $34,500).

My Bike
1972 R75/5 SWB Toaster
Black
Second Owner, purchased from first registered owner
Mileage: 7,738 miles or less
Original Owner's Manual
Original complete tool kit
Odo/Speedo rebuilt by Palo Alto 100 miles ago (after speedo crashed registering two miles/mile actually travelled)
Bike totally rebuilt (every gasket, seal, etc. replaced) by Judson Cycle, Lake Crystal, MN (then an authorized BMW dealer)
New tires, inner tubes, OEM mufflers, battery
Spare cables, etc.
Original paint (with garage rash from original owner storing it for 20 years)

Any feedback fellow owners can provide?

Many Thanks
Gordon

As the original owner of a '73 LWB, in similar condition, I think I'd be surprised if your brought $4,000. Fully restored (castings looking like new), restored chrome, cadmium plated nuts and bolts, new paint, accurate pin-striping, etc., would put it in the $7K+ market. At which point it is more garage-art than it is a motorcycle, IMHO.

Borisov Matkovic's bike comes to mind.

R75-5%20Borisav.jpg

Post some pictures of your bike for us.

As the quote goes, it's all about location, location, location! The markets appear strongest in northeast US, Chicagoland, and the west coast. Other than that, it will be hard to get more that $5K for a good condition R75/5. At least, that would be the case in my part of the world.

Hi, fellow Beemer Riders

I've arrived at a fork in the road and have decided to sell my '72 Toaster. I'm hoping some of you can give me some feedback on pricing???

I've checked out our MOA Fleamarket, where prices range from U.S. $5,000 to $8,200 currently.

A review of oodle.com information suggests a range of U.S. $6,500 to $10,400 (with an outrider listed at $34,500).

My Bike
1972 R75/5 SWB Toaster
Black
Second Owner, purchased from first registered owner
Mileage: 7,738 miles or less
Original Owner's Manual
Original complete tool kit
Odo/Speedo rebuilt by Palo Alto 100 miles ago (after speedo crashed registering two miles/mile actually travelled)
Bike totally rebuilt (every gasket, seal, etc. replaced) by Judson Cycle, Lake Crystal, MN (then an authorized BMW dealer)
New tires, inner tubes, OEM mufflers, battery
Spare cables, etc.
Original paint (with garage rash from original owner storing it for 20 years)

Any feedback fellow owners can provide?

Many Thanks
Gordon

Gordon sure sounds like a great bike . But why would the bike need the level of over hall with such low miles ?

Please supply detailed pictures I may have a interested buyer..

Thanks

Folks -

Let's please keep the buying and selling of something off the forum...that's what the Flea Market is all about. I don't have a problem helping a member out to get the range of price to expect for something or to help them get something sold, but moving the discussion towards the direction of working out deals is going too far. If someone wants to discuss things with Gordon about the bike in terms of purchasing it, please contact him via PM. You can exchange emails and go from there. :thumb

Thanks...

As the original owner of a '73 LWB, in similar condition, I think I'd be surprised if your brought $4,000. Fully restored (castings looking like new), restored chrome, cadmium plated nuts and bolts, new paint, accurate pin-striping, etc., would put it in the $7K+ market. At which point it is more garage-art than it is a motorcycle, IMHO.

Borisov Matkovic's bike comes to mind.

R75-5%20Borisav.jpg

Post some pictures of your bike for us.

Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate the help. I've since posting also checked with Mark at Re-Psycle in Lithopolis. He's recently sold bikes of my ilk in the price-range I queried. I imagine, as another poster stated, it's about location and if/how long I want to hold out for a top price. Truth is, I've met the fellow who had put a deposit on this bike and had it sold out from under him back in 1972. He says the bike is worth more than he can pay, which is about U.S. $6,200. Frankly, I'm inclined to sell it to him at that price even if the bike is worth more (which it may not be), because I'd much rather the bike were in the hands of someone who loved the bike as opposed to a collector who has the wherewithal to acquire whatever to flesh out a collection.

As the quote goes, it's all about location, location, location! The markets appear strongest in northeast US, Chicagoland, and the west coast. Other than that, it will be hard to get more that $5K for a good condition R75/5. At least, that would be the case in my part of the world.

Thanks, 71slash5. I agree with your assessment, and I did note from my review of bikes for sale through oodle.com that it's the U.S. Northeast where prices appear significantly higher. The Internet and relatively inexpensive shipping options have reduced the significance of location and distance but, as I commented to another responder, it's more important for me to find a buyer who loves the bike and whose life — rather than someone's bike collection investment — will be the better and richer for owning it. Then, too, it will be under 200 miles away as opposed to somewhere south of Hoboken or wherever where I won't be able to connect with it as easily.

Gordon sure sounds like a great bike . But why would the bike need the level of over hall with such low miles ?

Please supply detailed pictures I may have a interested buyer..

Thanks

Just to respond to the question about why the comprehensive rebuild. The bike had been unused for well over 20 years when I bought it. When I changed the fluids, it leaked from everywhere, as all the seals and gaskets had dried and/or deteriorated during that time. (It's important to exercise any kind of machinery on a frequent basis to keep everything tight.) I simply felt the bike deserved TLC after that period of neglect. :)

... decided to sell my '72 Toaster. I'm hoping some of you can give me some feedback on pricing...

Bike totally rebuilt (every gasket, seal, etc. replaced) ...

If I was wanting to buy this bike, then $500 would be a very attractive price. If I was selling, then a price between $2500 and
$3500 would be more reasonable.

I have a 71 R75/5 that I purchased 10 years ago for $2000. On the airhead list at the time there was some discussion about the high prices that airheads were selling for. I offered to help lower the average by suggesting a very low price ($2000) for bike owned by the person initiating the discussion. In a separate PM another airhead offered me his R75/5 for $2k. I thought that he was joking, but he wasn't. So, I purchased the R75/5 shown in picture below.

Elsewhere a comment was made about rebuilding the bike. In my experience, bikes much over 20 years old begin to experience degradation of seals and gaskets. I pretty much plan on the replacement of all gaskets and seals for older bikes that I obtain.

Attachments

• DSC02386.jpg
    DSC02386.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 123
If I was wanting to buy this bike, then $500 would be a very attractive price. If I was selling, then a price between $2500 and
$3500 would be more reasonable.

I have a 71 R75/5 that I purchased 10 years ago for $2000. On the airhead list at the time there was some discussion about the high prices that airheads were selling for. I offered to help lower the average by suggesting a very low price ($2000) for bike owned by the person initiating the discussion. In a separate PM another airhead offered me his R75/5 for $2k. I thought that he was joking, but he wasn't. So, I purchased the R75/5 shown in picture below.

Elsewhere a comment was made about rebuilding the bike. In my experience, bikes much over 20 years old begin to experience degradation of seals and gaskets. I pretty much plan on the replacement of all gaskets and seals for older bikes that I obtain.

I'm sorry, am I misunderstanding you? I bought my toaster in 2003. It had been stored (no riding) for 20 years. I bought it expecting that all gaskets and seals would be dried, cracked, etc. They were. A BMW shop rebuilt it; every gasket, seal, brakes, tires, new OEM mufflers. They said the guts looked factory new. Palo Alto rebuilt the speedo for $500. It had 7,137 miles when I bought AND when I rebuilt a few years ago. It's had 600 miles on the rebuild. And the bike has $500 value??

Did I get that right?

Sorry for the misunderstanding... I was trying to make a joke... As a buyer, one would want as low a price as possible - I made up an absurd value ($500) as a low price. Insofar as a seller, you would want to maximize your return. If you as a seller can get $5000, great. All it takes is one willing buyer.

In my case I was not actually looking to purchase an R75/5, but there was a willing seller and we made a deal for what seemed to me a very good price ($2000).

But, I like airheads...

Just for fun, value this one...

1973 600 Toaster tank. Carbs off, [but there] hasn't run in some time. needs restored . Points cam broken off in the past ?? welded on incorrectly, broken bolt in the final drive, needs battery, tires,seat, etc & so-on.

The owner/neighbor thinks it's worth in the 2500-3000 dollar range :scratch I disagree :dunno

His reasoning is ...it's the one everybody wants [again] :scratch If it were ? they would still be making them..

Sorry for the misunderstanding... I was trying to make a joke... As a buyer, one would want as low a price as possible - I made up an absurd value ($500) as a low price. Insofar as a seller, you would want to maximize your return. If you as a seller can get $5000, great. All it takes is one willing buyer.

In my case I was not actually looking to purchase an R75/5, but there was a willing seller and we made a deal for what seemed to me a very good price ($2000).

But, I like airheads...

Hey, thanks for the clarification. Ironically, $2,000 is what I paid for this bike. I certainly agree with the buy/sell psychology. Actually, I already know how much the local buyer is willing to pay — U.S. $6,200, and more if absolutely necessary. My reason for asking for feedback like yours is to make sure I don't gouge him. Back in '72, he had put a deposit on this very bike only to find it had been sold (to the guy I bought it from in '03) when he returned to complete the purchase! I'm hoping he and I can arrive at a price that allows me to realize a price reflecting the mid-range market value of the bike, and for him to feel he got a fair deal on the bike he's missed for 43 years.

Just for fun, value this one...

1973 600 Toaster tank. Carbs off, [but there] hasn't run in some time. needs restored . Points cam broken off in the past ?? welded on incorrectly, broken bolt in the final drive, needs battery, tires,seat, etc & so-on.

The owner/neighbor thinks it's worth in the 2500-3000 dollar range :scratch I disagree :dunno

His reasoning is ...it's the one everybody wants [again] :scratch If it were ? they would still be making them..

I would tend to agree that this seller is in not in touch with the market. My understanding is that the R75 is more sought-after than the smaller displacement models. Secondly, Re-Psycle for example has "project bikes" in good operating condition in the $3-4,000 range. I'd also guess this seller is not a bike lover or a lover of the brand. I tend to go a little overboard and think of a fine piece of engineering as having been imbued with soul of some kind. It's my responsibility to value that soul by caring for the bike just as its reliable operation gives me pleasure. The more care I provide, the more it keeps me safe.

I would tend to agree that this seller is in not in touch with the market. My understanding is that the R75 is more sought-after than the smaller displacement models. Secondly, Re-Psycle for example has "project bikes" in good operating condition in the $3-4,000 range. I'd also guess this seller is not a bike lover or a lover of the brand. I tend to go a little overboard and think of a fine piece of engineering as having been imbued with soul of some kind. It's my responsibility to value that soul by caring for the bike just as its reliable operation gives me pleasure. The more care I provide, the more it keeps me safe.

Seems so,...he has an 82 CBX he thinks is worth a fortune as well. IMO the motorcycle is in 'tacky' condition. Not very well maintained & or cared for.

He keeps saying he'd like to sell both due to medical needs, but basically " no one wants to come up with any money" [or words to that effect]. I tried talking reality with him once, and he took issue with me. So I keep my nose out of it now.

Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate the help. I've since posting also checked with Mark at Re-Psycle in Lithopolis. He's recently sold bikes of my ilk in the price-range I queried. I imagine, as another poster stated, it's about location and if/how long I want to hold out for a top price. Truth is, I've met the fellow who had put a deposit on this bike and had it sold out from under him back in 1972. He says the bike is worth more than he can pay, which is about U.S. $6,200. Frankly, I'm inclined to sell it to him at that price even if the bike is worth more (which it may not be), because I'd much rather the bike were in the hands of someone who loved the bike as opposed to a collector who has the wherewithal to acquire whatever to flesh out a collection.

i recently picked up a 73 75/5 toaster from mark - 4500 - pretty clean, i believe original paint - but some of the bolts re-plated and needs a good cleaning along with the carbs need a good cleaning/rebuild.
DSC09969.jpgDSC09972.jpg

Sidenote

In December of 1971 I purchased a Brand New 1972 R60/5 for $1600 ($USD). Extra Sweet !
Just could not afford another $150 for a R75/5.

Charlie

p.s. I hope to have another opposed twin before "The End"
I think a nice R1200R would bring back a lot of twin memories.
Maybe all of 'em. :thumb:thumb:thumb

In earlier posts there was mention of re-plating fasteners. As I recall the old fasteners used a cadmium plating rather than zinc. Cadmium is a toxic material and one should be quite careful around it. Following is a link to a MSDS for cadmium plated fasteners -
http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/environment/msds_view.asp?LoadMSDS=181829

For my older bikes I've been replacing many fasteners with stainless steel. Some care should be taken to not use stainless steel where the higher strength of carbon steel is needed. For example, the bolts securing the subframe to the main frame are higher strength class 12.9 rather than class 8.8 fasteners used most other places. (Although I have seen "display" bikes using polished stainless bolts in those subframe locations - looks nice but lacks the tensile and sheer strength of carbon steel. Following is a link with info on the classes of fasteners -
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx

Locations where such strength is not necessary are good candidates for stainless steel fasteners. It is a good idea to use either anti-seize or blue loctite when placing stainless in aluminum. Lack of some anti-seize can result in a "cold weld" referred to as galling. Removal of the galled stainless steel fastener can also result in removal of aluminum threads. [Use of heli-coils, timeserts, or keenserts is another whole discussion!]

Following are some links for kits for replacement of OEM fasteners with stainless steel -
http://www.theboltguy.com/R75-5-SWB.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-AIRHEAD...ash=item25ae06b434:g:QKUAAOSwpDdU3itv&vxp=mtr

Following is an interesting article on BMW fasteners -
http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_1.htm
http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_2.htm
http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_3.htm

Snowbum also has some thoughts on fasteners (and torque wrenches) -
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/hardware.htm
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/torquevalues.htm

Anton has a pretty comprehensive list of fasteners by part number -
http://www.largiader.com/articles/hardware/

Back