• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter riders

You are not really trying to get us to believe that there is such a thing as winter in Alabama and Florida, are ya? :dunno

You are not really trying to get us to believe that there is such a thing as winter in Alabama and Florida, are ya? :dunno

Nope, just, that if you see me riding down the road with my middle finger extended its not a biker salute, I'm just showing people which finger is cold. :wave

For the record the coldest I've ever been in my life was in Florida phase ranger school, and I attended MMIC, military mountaineering instructor course, in black Rapids Alaska in the winter temps of -60F, and I grew up in central Illinois back in the 70's. I know your response was light hearted, but I'm using it as an opportunity to illustrate that sometimes it's not necessarily the ambient temperature that affects the rider as it is so many other factors. In Florida phase the big danger of hypothermia was accelerated due to the state of emciation we were in. I think they put control measures in after 95 when they lost 4, I think it was 4, West Point cadets to hypothermia. It pays to have a little fat sometimes.

I lived in Alaska for 16 years and winter camped, but I was never as cold as I was in the swamps of Florida in January during the Ranger course.

Yes, I live in Alabama. Yes, it can get cold. I will ride in temps down to about 18 degF (dry roads only). Heated gear, heated grips, lots of appropriate layers.

Winter is the only time I miss the K1200LT. I had aftermarket wind protectors for the foot pegs, BMW heated vest, First Gear Leather jacket, heavy Harley mittens and a balaclava. Rode several times in the 20s in total comfort.

I never rode the 2 wheeler when it got below freezing, ice on the road too hazardous. Now with the Ural I'm good to low teens, no heated gear. Something about plugging myself in just does not seem right. And taking the bike to work when others fear to drive is a blast!

Springfield MO to Minot ND

In the late fall I did an Iron Butt from Springfield MO to Minot ND when temps were in the hi 20's to mid 30's. Thank God for Gerbing top and bottom liners and the heated seat and hand grips of the '13 R1200RT.

Yes, Definitely

Ride all year. As long as the roads are dry. With the right gear, the cold is not a factor. Just make sure you don't have any little gaps where the cold air can get in. The views are totally different in the winter, sometimes nicer.
Val
03 K12RS
I ride as long as there is dry pavement. Here in WI that may not be very long but last year was good except for Feb. I've had no breaks in riding till today. We are at 8" of snow and counting right now. I guess it is the start of Farkle season now. I did get a couple hundred miles in on Christmas. 20's - 30's, no problem. It's kind of cool looking at Christmas lights from a GS saddle.
Happy New Year Everyone!

After the weather fiasco on Voni's birthday in 2005 in Kansas - what with zero degrees and snow and all, we decided to move south to get away from the snow, ice, slush and frigid air of winter. We moved to far southwest Texas, in the desert, amidst the rock and cactus, 30 miles from Mexico. . .
http://web.bigbend.net/~paul.glaves/birthday 2006.htm
The snow was late this year, but I did get to ride in it!

Voni
sMiling

I lived in Alaska for 16 years and winter camped, but I was never as cold as I was in the swamps of Florida in January during the Ranger course.

Reminds me of the famous Mark Twain quote (which he perhaps never really said): “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”

Back