• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600GT Tool Kit suggestions?

IBA# 5819
Happy owner of a 2012 GT. The tool kit is a bit anemic.
Just wondering what you guys are carrying.
:scratch

A 3/8" ratchet with a full complement of Torx ratchet heads (good quality ones), Tire repair kit, and a BMW MOA roadside assistance with tire and wheel coverage.

touring tool kit

For touring, we carry a cruz-tools basic tool kit and GS-911 with wifi which pairs with samsung tablet or smart phone. Both fit in tank bag. Tool kit contains all needed sockets and bits (even includes electrical tape and zip ties). It has even become my go-to tools for modifications and service at home in my garage. I have not had to use GS-911 on my bike but was able to help MOA member broken down on the way to Billings Rally to ID failed fuel pump. It is really necessary for knowing what is going on beneath all that Tupperware.

For touring, we carry a cruz-tools basic tool kit and GS-911 with wifi which pairs with samsung tablet or smart phone. Both fit in tank bag. Tool kit contains all needed sockets and bits (even includes electrical tape and zip ties). It has even become my go-to tools for modifications and service at home in my garage. I have not had to use GS-911 on my bike but was able to help MOA member broken down on the way to Billings Rally to ID failed fuel pump. It is really necessary for knowing what is going on beneath all that Tupperware.

Thanks Doc.
I made up a kit from bits and pieces I had been carrying over the years. I need to pare it down a bit.

20151206_112559 (1).jpg

20151206_113808-1 (1).jpg

Cruz Tools plus

Wow. Your kit looks amazingly like the one I put together. I'm paranoid so if I'm going any kind of distance, I pack that kit in one bag and my Cruz Tools in the other. Oh yeah, and my credit card, enough cash for the "Deliverance" - types who won't take a card, and my BMW Roadside Assistance Card as well as my Good Sam's Roadside Assistance card.

Many of my co-riders just believe in the cards. :)

Wow. Your kit looks amazingly like the one I put together. I'm paranoid so if I'm going any kind of distance, I pack that kit in one bag and my Cruz Tools in the other. Oh yeah, and my credit card, enough cash for the "Deliverance" - types who won't take a card, and my BMW Roadside Assistance Card as well as my Good Sam's Roadside Assistance card.

Many of my co-riders just believe in the cards. :)

I need to look into the Good Sam plan.
I've already cut some tools out.
My philosophy is that I don't want to get stranded just because I didn't have a pair of pliers (or screwdriver, or torx driver)

The one thing you have that I am lacking is a suitable breaker bar. I think I would be in trouble with a stubborn bolt or screw. I also have a first-aid kit which attaches to bottom of seat (in the straps for the owner's manual).

I agree, if you had to take off rear wheel with that torx wrench it could be tough - wonder if you could use one of the larger box end wrenches as a cheater on that?

I agree, if you had to take off rear wheel with that torx wrench it could be tough - wonder if you could use one of the larger box end wrenches as a cheater on that?

Its a 3/8" breaker bar I carry specifically if the rear wheel has to come off for some strange reason.

The one thing you have that I am lacking is a suitable breaker bar. I think I would be in trouble with a stubborn bolt or screw. I also have a first-aid kit which attaches to bottom of seat (in the straps for the owner's manual).

I've already cut back on a few tools. The breaker bar will stay. I need to update my First Aid kit to something a bit more compact.

I carry a tire plugging kit (sticky worms and rubber cement), a Best Rest Cycle Pump, a good pocket knife, a little tool kit to do very basic things , black tape, my MOA Book, AAA Card and Paul Glaves's phone number. :) This has worked for me for 600K KM's.

When I was riding the IBR it was during the BMW reliability carnage era of 2003-2009. I bought and rode a Goldwing for two rallies and finished them both. There was simply too much much time and money at stake in riding the IBR to risk a likely DNF due to a foreseeable mechanical issue.

Back