• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member from Idaho

taterjoe56

Greetings from Idaho. After 39 years of riding, the last 27 on Harley's, have moved on (up) to BMW's. After all these years, riding just lost its spark. Always admired the BMW's, esp the boxers. Got the OK from the war dept to get a second bike so picked up a new 15 F 700 GS. The spark reignited into full flame!! What fun this machine is. So now, although I'm taking a loss on the new bike, have sold the Harley and have a new 16 R1200 RT on the way in. Is on the North Atlantic as I type. Last 9 years my bikes have been baggers and I have grown accustomed to storage space.

My question/concern is, after reading several issues of MOA mag, it seems a fairly significant amount of BMW owners are unhappy with their rides reliability. I can still back out of this deal…should I? See you folks on the road.

Greetings from Idaho. After 39 years of riding, the last 27 on Harley's, have moved on (up) to BMW's. After all these years, riding just lost its spark. Always admired the BMW's, esp the boxers. Got the OK from the war dept to get a second bike so picked up a new 15 F 700 GS. The spark reignited into full flame!! What fun this machine is. So now, although I'm taking a loss on the new bike, have sold the Harley and have a new 16 R1200 RT on the way in. Is on the North Atlantic as I type. Last 9 years my bikes have been baggers and I have grown accustomed to storage space.

My question/concern is, after reading several issues of MOA mag, it seems a fairly significant amount of BMW owners are unhappy with their rides reliability. I can still back out of this deal…should I? See you folks on the road.

No you should not. The incidence of problems becomes vastly exaggerated by the internet. One failure becomes, in the retelling many failures as people pass on what they have heard.

Sure there are some issues. Many are little electronic glitches easily cured by a reflash or update bet they are still reported and tallied as a problem. Buy it. Ride it. If it breaks use the warranty to pay the dealer to fix it.

Welcome to the BMW riders of Idaho. Not sure you're located in the state but there's a pretty good network of riders, particularly in the Boise area. Regarding reliability, I've had forty plus years on BMWs. The four I currently ride have a combined 500,000 miles. I can't speak to the reliability of current bikes but with regular maintenance, all done at home, reliability hasn't been an issue. I've never been left on the road. Paul is right. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it. If an issue develops, deal with it and make the most of your warranty and your dealer. Ride easy,
gp

Welcome Tater:wave
There are a few H-D converts here, some still have both.I made fun of the tiny brake pedal on my 05RT after getting off a Heritage ...until I touched it the first time! Good times.

We own a few high mileage/ low failure bikes, ride them with confidence as others have mentioned. Things happen, so worry about that IF it ever happens.

...and don't you dare ask which oil is best during winter around here:D

I kid:jester

Thanks for the replies. Was 99.99% sure I was going through with this regardless of response unless I got a big "WAKEUP STUPID". Turned 59 on Thanksgiving, have artificial knee and shoulder. The Harleys just got too big, too heavy and too hot..and I'm not ready to throw in the towel. Time to invest in a little technology I figure. To 6322, I live in Mountain Home, retired Air Force, Avionics Tech. Not afraid to turn a wrench, just not too sure what's under the covers on this bike. Am seriously psyched about this. And what can only be a good omen, the bike is on a Maersk ship. The name? "Idaho". Again, thanks for the input.

Still riding and still here. Still working too, so ride time varies. Riding a K bike , huh? And an officer? Well, I'm not too picky so I guess I can look the other way. Is almost 5 AM Sat. morning and getting ready to sack out for night shift. I work Micron. You a Legion Rider? I'm retired and belong Legion, but never joined the LR. I'll be on the lookout for your bike. Mine looks like the cop bike in town without all the lights.

I’m a Legion member, too, but, like you, not a Legion Rider. Don’t they require Harley’s, or at least a Gold Wing. So, you have an RT? Is it the black one? The K Bike is new to me; sadly they all are now. It’s enrout from the dealer in Dallas. I have an R1200RS that I ride.

BMW reliability

I agree with the folks who tell you to buy and ride it. I ride a 1976 R60/6 with just shy of 90,000 miles. It takes me everywhere and I expect it to. Pushes a newly purchased steel sidecar. Cheers from Canada

Hello Tater!
I’m pleased that you’re so pleased with your Lil Beemer that you’re Excited enough to get an LDR touring model! That said, the Mrs (USN ret) has ~150K on her ‘09 F650GS-twin. It’s covered all of the lower 48. Next summer, after moving to Rocket City in 18-19, we plan to ride it (and my GT) to #49! Our Sage acquaintance told us to “Don’t think of riding to AK on a new bike.” So we’ll let K abuse her GS in Canada & Alaska before shopping for some other BMW upgrade....

So as I like to recommend, get some competent training on your new stablemates. You might be surprised at what you & your bikes can do! It might be harder to accomplish in Mtn Home, but it’s just another excuse for you to plan a trip. We both enjoyed three days of specialized coaching with Ken Condon in CT. Check out Riding in the Zone! K has also taken Stayin Safe thru Larry Grodsky’s organization. She gave them good marks!

Hope to see you at a future MOA event. The Getaways R a great way to introduce yourself into the MOA community!:thumb

Ciao, HSV-Phil (USAF Ret) & HSV-Karen

‘75 R90S,
‘09 F650GS,
‘14 K1600GT,
‘14 Time-Out trailer (our new glamper).

Back