• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

G650GS or G650GS Sertao?

Woodsy Wheels can make your spooked wheels tubeless for about 100 $ (rear only) or you can do it yourself for 1/4-1/2 that cost.
Between the 700 and 800 I'd pay for the 800 with more puwer and "better" suspension, same weight, but if you want tubless wheels go with the 700. I like the 650. If you want a bigger bike include the Tiger in you search.
The 700 & 800 have the same frame so add ons should fit either. Slightly different body work.
My next upgrade will probably be a trip to Woodys in Denver.

Another consideration in wheel choice. In the unlikely event of a slightly bent rim, say hitting a pothole at speed, a tubless rim becomes trash. A tube will still hold air.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Amazing how some things come to fruition: My wife and I traveled about 1 1/2 hours to buy a 2012 F650GS with approx. 340 (that is correct - 340) miles on it. Practically new. The seller is a member of this forum; he bought the bike less than a year ago after it languished unappreciated and unpurchased on a local dealership floor for a couple of years. I did a modest test ride and we sealed the deal. The first change that must be made to the bike is a taller and wider windscreen. My K1200LT has me spoiled! I also think there should be a brake flush, coolant flush, and (especially) an oil change done soon.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments. I guess I'll be spending more time over in the "F-twins" area.

Congrats! Sounds like a union that was bound to happen.

Checkout F800Riders.org. Good info over there as well.

Amazing how some things come to fruition: My wife and I traveled about 1 1/2 hours to buy a 2012 F650GS with approx. 340 (that is correct - 340) miles on it. Practically new. The seller is a member of this forum; he bought the bike less than a year ago after it languished unappreciated and unpurchased on a local dealership floor for a couple of years. I did a modest test ride and we sealed the deal. The first change that must be made to the bike is a taller and wider windscreen. My K1200LT has me spoiled! I also think there should be a brake flush, coolant flush, and (especially) an oil change done soon.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments. I guess I'll be spending more time over in the "F-twins" area.

Awesome! :dance I bought a 2012 F650GS new. I went on a search for a 650 single online, looking for one that was in great shape and a good price. No luck for weeks. Next I went to the dealer looking at the 1200...rode the 1200...800...and 650 single. Two trips to the dealer later, they had a 650 twin. I rode all of the GS bikes that day. The next day I bought the 650 twin. I do some off road riding, but 80 something percent is on road. almost 30,000 miles and a couple of tire replacements...I could not be happier. Good luck and enjoy!

I know the Haul road is the destination but remember there are a lot of miles between WA and AK. Some might not be as nice as the Dalton.

Tubes are OK

I did the AK trip including the Dalton on my 1150GS and Akbeemer is right on with excellent advice.

I traded my 1150 for the 650 Dakar and had some reservations about the tire repair challenges tube type tires bring to the decision. What I have found is that getting comfortable with changing tires yourself and patching a tube on the side of the road are important skills to learn. I just received a set of TKC80's for my Sertao (current thumper) from an excellent supplier Rocky Mtn., and installed them on my bike in the garage for under $200. Yes, I run the softer compound TKC80 full time for the outstanding bite I get on the backroads I ride. If I was paying a shop to provide and install my tires ( $$$ )I might run longer lasting tires and deal with the lesser performance in the backcountry. Anyway, once one is comfortable changing tires in the garage, which this geezer has no problem with, fixing a flat along the road is no longer a big deal.

My riding buddy David, has put together some good videos on how to change a tire and fix a flat

Technique and lots of lube is the trick.

...and btw...Those softer and grippy TKC80's are fun to ride in the twisties after the knobs are worn down a bit. They may not be race compound rubber but they are good in the corners.

...and btw...Those softer and grippy TKC80's are fun to ride in the twisties after the knobs are worn down a bit. They may not be race compound rubber but they are good in the corners.

:eek Yeah, but...compared to what on wet asphalt:laugh:laugh:laugh

Back