• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cross Canada Ride – Destination Salty Fog

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

I then made my way into New Brunswick where I had booked into Riverside RV Park & Campground off two lane Route 144 near Edmonston NB. I had really taken my time getting there, night was falling and I made a wrong turn because of an ambiguous rural address in my GPS sending me 40 Km out of my way. Duh, I finally figured that out when I saw a bridge ahead ‘Hey there isn’t a river crossing on my route!’ and a sign letting me know that the border crossing to the USA was on the other side! I consulted my detailed paper map via flashlight and quickly realized my error, turned around and set off in the correct direction. By now I had to set up camp in the dark and only then noticed that I was hungry – very hungry! One of my camping neighbours had ridden a lot in his youth stopped by, took pity on me and brought over a couple cobs of corn left over from his family’s meal which I gratefully consumed while we swapped riding stories. However, I was soon back on the bike retracing the highway looking for a place that was still open for more food. Found a wonderful place serving poutine! It was such a massive lump of gravy, curd, fries, and gooey goodness and I was so ravenous that I ate ¾ of it before I stopped for a picture.

IMG_2514.jpg

Last edited:
New Brunswick - Day Nine

My Edmonston NB camp this morning after the rain overnight – not my chair – folks who run the place must have brought it to me in the dark.

IMG_2515.jpg

As had become my normal routine, I quickly split camp, and headed out in search of coffee and a muffin – almost always at a Tim Hortons which is institutional in small town Canada. Success! I quickly spot a Timmies in the tiny hamlet of Saint Leonard, pull off and get a coffee and muffin to go. Returning to where I was parked, I proceeded to sip coffee and do a routine check of the bike.

Yep. That would be a nail.

IMG_2516.jpg

After looking at the nail considering the options (pull the nail and plug the tire, call the nearest shop with a tire that would fit my bike) I decided to at least see if there was a tire to be had nearby before doing anything at all. I had pre-loaded my iPhone contacts with BMW and other motorcycle shops along my general route and found the nearest to be Atlantic Motoplex in Dieppe NB just outside Moncton. Atlantic is a multi-vendor shop that includes BMW so I put in a call to their service area, was greeted pleasantly. Once I had explained where I was and my need they checked and indeed had a supply of Michelin PR4s which suited me perfectly. They also said that if I could make it there today (a Friday) before closing they would squeeze me in. I checked and it was about four hours away and only 100 Km off my intended route. I told them I was heading there and gave an approximate ETA. Now to decide whether or not to plug the tire or just ride. I checked the pressure (tire warm) with both with my digital meter from my toolkit and riding around the parking lot with the bike TPS; it appeared I was down about 3-4 PSI from normal. I opted not to plug it reasoning with my TPS I could top the tire up now and watch the pressure as I rode and therefore take action if I started suddenly losing air. As it turned out after topping up, I lost only 4 PSI before I reached Dieppe loosing roughly 1 PSI per hour so nothing alarming.

IMG_2517.jpg

Last edited:
I was warmly welcomed at Atlantic Motoplex and they took my bike immediately to an open lift to begin working on it. I was invited to go up to their customer lounge, have a coffee and watch the work from above through large picture windows overlooking the service bays below.

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

By mid-afternoon my bike was wearing a shiny new tire and ready to go. As usual they gave the safety warning that new tires are slippery until worn in for a 100 or so Kms depending upon riding conditions.

IMG_2521.jpg

Last edited:
Prince Edward Island

I crossed into Prince Edward Island over the 14 Km (8 mile) long Confederation Bridge with clear sky and light winds. This bridge is the longest in the world that crosses ice-covered water, was opened in 1997, and cost $1B CAN to build.

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Last edited:
After a brief stop I decided to head to the west-most end of the island at the West Point Lighthouse following the coast instead of proceeding directly to my destination. That option doubled the distance but I never saw a road with lines on it until I got to Cabot Beach Provincial Park where I would camp for the night.

IMG_2527.jpg

After setting up, I went back to a quaint home I saw about 20 Km back that advertised Art for sale and hot food and indeed when I checked it out they were selling fine oil paintings and served meals composed of locally sourced fish and vegetables. I was the only evening customer since it was now off-season and near the end of the tourist run for the year and the home made food and hot gourmet tea hit the spot for sure!

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

Time for bed and fell asleep being serenaded by a large group of campers singing maritime songs – lovely.

Last edited:
Beautiful maritime day! Got to see the inside of another lighthouse, examined the bright red mud they have here to grow potatoes in, saw a lot of pretty homes with manicured lawns, a lot of rural churches, won an award receiving a blue ribbon and frame-able certificate for my effort, and made what could have been a 270 km ride into over 400 ending in Red Point Provincial Park. I spent the evening as a guest around the fire swapping tales and sharing routes we enjoyed in the past with three Maritimers who happened to also be motorcyclists.

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Last edited:
Onward to Nova Scotia

DAY 11

What a gorgeous morning as I started with a short ride without a breath of wind to Wood Islands and the ferry from PEI over to Caribou Nova Scotia.

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

The ferry was quite large allowed those on motorcycles to get on, park deep within the hold and get off first so that was great. I was joined by only two other bikes so had and excellent place to park and tie down. It was a perfect morning so I spent the entire crossing on the deck enjoying the sea breeze and taking pictures.

IMG_1385.jpg

Next - Larrys River

As I traversed south following Bob’s excellent directions on the remaining roads towards Larry's River south of Monastery became narrower with more and more curves and became much more scenic. With very little traffic on the road I fell into a Zen-like rhythm that happens so seldom but which is the nirvana of motorcycling until suddenly I saw one of these:

IMG_3074.jpg

As I continued, I saw several other similar signs until I came to a short section of gravel and I had arrived!

As I traversed south following Bob’s excellent directions on the remaining roads towards Larry's River south of Monastery became narrower with more and more curves and became much more scenic. With very little traffic on the road I fell into a Zen-like rhythm that happens so seldom but which is the nirvana of motorcycling until suddenly I saw one of these:

View attachment 53037

As I continued, I saw several other similar signs until I came to a short section of gravel and I had arrived!

That sign's a 'Collectors Item' for sure! Enjoying your report and pictures. :thumb - Bob and Mary

That sign's a 'Collectors Item' for sure! Enjoying your report and pictures. :thumb - Bob and Mary

Well right now it is hanging in my garage where I park my bike along with one of the MOA Banners used at the yearly Calgary Motorcycle Show. An honoured spot indeed. Periodically I touch the sign and take a sip of Glenora (yeah I snagged some), then sigh and look out the door at the snow and think about this ride. Now next year...

Well right now it is hanging in my garage where I park my bike along with one of the MOA Banners used at the yearly Calgary Motorcycle Show. An honoured spot indeed. Periodically I touch the sign and take a sip of Glenora (yeah I snagged some), then sigh and look out the door at the snow and think about this ride. Now next year...

whoa! from collector's item to shrine is quite a leap eh? :ha "Now next year".... is that a 'teaser line'? See you in NY maybe? Again, enjoying the report.

In the next couple of years I'm looking to complete two "bucket list items." One, crossing the US from coast to coast and then returning via Canada - coast to coast. I'd be interested in following your route - in reverse, east to west. Any chance I could bother you for GPS tracks or routes? I would very much appreciate it.

In the next couple of years I'm looking to complete two "bucket list items." One, crossing the US from coast to coast and then returning via Canada - coast to coast. I'd be interested in following your route - in reverse, east to west. Any chance I could bother you for GPS tracks or routes? I would very much appreciate it.

Don, I will see what I can dig up and will PM you later.

Back