• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cross Canada Ride – Destination Salty Fog

I see you were still working on this at midnight! :D

That must have been tough, leaving the group at the Causeway. Did you schlep that barbecue the whole way, or was it Bob and Mary's?

Your gas mileage is almost identical to my ST's. I continue to be impressed with how efficient these bikes are.

Yes, for a nickel I would turned around and rode the Cabot Trail around the other way. That was definitely Bob & Mary's BBQ... you did see Bob's Weber apron no? Not sure, he might be CEO of the company :) I should have done an east/west mileage split to see how the environment impacts economy because I know I had a several favourable tailwinds going east and mostly headwinds coming back west. I might just do that.

Last edited:
Excellent indeed! :thumb I especially enjoyed your commentary with those fine pictures. Mary and I have enjoyed following your trip to and from our little gathering. We think your report a nice way to see our event through someone else's eyes. Thanks! Funny how those road signs became so popular but to see how they are now displayed in new homes is quite heart-warming. Very kind. - Bob

Glad you both liked it - I was trying to integrate it as much as possible without doubling up anything. Yes, I love that sign. Next year I plan to make a more permanent mount for it - although I think Harry's example of how to do it was really superior. BTW I put a small piece of political humour in post #19 that I thought some of the Canucks might catch when speaking about our new PM.

Yes, for a nickel I would turned around and rode the Cabot Trail around the other way. That was definitely Bob & Mary's BBQ... you did see Bob's Weber apron no? Not sure, he might be CEO of the company :) I should have done an east/west mileage split to see how the environment impacts economy because I know I had a several favourable tailwinds going east and mostly headwinds coming back west. I might just do that.

:whistle If you look a little closer you can see the 'fine print' about that CEO business.......

weber_zpsbx2j7k2e.jpg

...from Rimouski to Ottawa...I eventually deviated off QC Highway 132 to Highway 20 to make better time...

How difficult was the transit through Montreal?

I've been tracing your route this morning, and it looks like you had scoped out some pretty nice places to stay. That sign in your garage will be a continuing reminder of the trip of a lifetime.

...I put a small piece of political humour in post 19 that I thought some of the Canucks might catch...

Yes I saw that, and resisted the temptation to comment about our new PM....:(

Great ride report. I now oh so want to do it myself. Such beautiful country, great pics, good storyline, well done!

Thank you, now start planning for next year for your own trip. The only advice I would give if this is likely a trip that you will not repeat, is to give yourself enough time to leave the main 4 lane highways at least once a day to see a town, river, attraction, event etc. Makes it a lot more interesting and sometimes even surprising.

Last edited:
How difficult was the transit through Montreal?

I've been tracing your route this morning, and it looks like you had scoped out some pretty nice places to stay. That sign in your garage will be a continuing reminder of the trip of a lifetime.

Yes I saw that, and resisted the temptation to comment about our new PM....:(

Funny you mentioned Montreal. I had the route in my TomTom App on my iPhone in both directions and BOTH times it routed me through a long tunnel and when I popped out on the other side the now signal-less GPS took too long to tell be to turn right or left and BOTH times I picked the wrong direction. grrrr. West to East it was a simple matter of circling a couple blocks and rejoining the original route. East to West it was in a big rainstorm and heavy traffic with lots of vehicle spray. Quebecers also drive very fast, change lanes without warning, and assume motorcycles are pylons in the rain so I maintained the street I was on too long and ended up seeing a lot of downtown Montreal that I had no desire to.

Yep, I love the sign. A true original - and you are right, nice reminder every time I see it. :)

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned Montreal....

I had noticed that the Trans Canada runs right through it, and I thought that it might be well signed. We have two Garmins, and I don't fully trust them, but one that I got with a rental car gave us two flawless transits through Dublin in June, and I was really impressed. No tunnels, though. :)

Had signs alright but the traffic is heavy and if you are not in a lane reasonably close to the correct one, it can be very difficult to safely filter over in a 4 or 5 lane situation - especially with road spray blocking rear/side view. I also do not have bluetooth audio in my helmet so I was visual on the phone/gps only - which I will rectify next year with a Sena or such. Also there was some construction (electronic signs) which in Quebec were French only describing the issue ahead and (sometimes) the lane closed etc. They have bilingual signs everywhere else - just not electronic and that applied throughout the whole province.

Last edited:
Thank you, now start planning for next year for your own trip. The only advice I would give if this is likely a trip that you will not repeat, is to give yourself enough time to leave the main 4 lanes highways at least once a day to see a town, river, attraction, event etc. Makes it a lot more interesting and sometimes even surprising.

Thank you. Yes, I avoid the 'superslab' as much as possible and go for the 'off-the-main-road places.' And yes I am planning. Perhaps not next summer but within the next couple of years.

Atlantic Motoplex - Great People

I too ended up there for a new rear tire. Had picked up a cotter pin. I really liked the people there.

The following morning found me back on the bike again with a delayed start to let three thunderstorms play out in and east of Winnipeg. You know why if you have ever ridden through the storm fronts of these beasts on the wide open prairie. Once I did get going it turned to be a typical day on the Canadian Shield - crazy beautiful lakes surrounded by granite and trees for hundreds of kilometres as I passed through Kenora and on to Thunder Bay Ontario.

View attachment 52930

View attachment 52931

View attachment 52932

I remember driving much of this route with my daughter on the way to Dalhousie University in Halifax. It would be great to do on the bike too!

Great ride report.

Possibly a little off topic and I'll apologise if this has been discussed already - but what is the orange and black device mounted behind the screen?

IMG_1494.jpg

Great ride report.

Possibly a little off topic and I'll apologise if this has been discussed already - but what is the orange and black device mounted behind the screen?

View attachment 53395

Hi Mark, that is a Satellite GPS Messenger; mine is one of the original SPOT Personal Tracker and they have updated models from this out there. It drops breadcrumbs along the way and there is a website that one can give access to others to follow along. There are a couple of buttons to press that send pre-programmed text/email messages such as 'I'm okay' or a custom message to specific numbers and/or email addresses that you input. There is also an 'SOS' function for emergencies. I have read that for emergency and especially off road use a PLB device is better suited. Details on SPOT can be found here: http://findmespot.ca/SPOTOFFER/lander.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=text&utm_term=spot%20global%20phone&utm_campaign=FREEHoliday2015

Back