Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Onward to Nova Scotia

DAY 11

What a gorgeous morning as I started with a short ride without a breath of wind to Wood Islands and the ferry from PEI over to Caribou Nova Scotia.

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

The ferry was quite large allowed those on motorcycles to get on, park deep within the hold and get off first so that was great. I was joined by only two other bikes so had and excellent place to park and tie down. It was a perfect morning so I spent the entire crossing on the deck enjoying the sea breeze and taking pictures.

IMG_1385.jpg
    Ken Dittrick

Next - Larrys River

As I traversed south following Bob’s excellent directions on the remaining roads towards Larry's River south of Monastery became narrower with more and more curves and became much more scenic. With very little traffic on the road I fell into a Zen-like rhythm that happens so seldom but which is the nirvana of motorcycling until suddenly I saw one of these:

IMG_3074.jpg

As I continued, I saw several other similar signs until I came to a short section of gravel and I had arrived!
    Ken Dittrick

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    As I traversed south following Bob’s excellent directions on the remaining roads towards Larry's River south of Monastery became narrower with more and more curves and became much more scenic. With very little traffic on the road I fell into a Zen-like rhythm that happens so seldom but which is the nirvana of motorcycling until suddenly I saw one of these:

IMG_3074.jpg

As I continued, I saw several other similar signs until I came to a short section of gravel and I had arrived!
    That sign's a 'Collectors Item' for sure! Enjoying your report and pictures. - Bob and Mary
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    That sign's a 'Collectors Item' for sure! Enjoying your report and pictures. - Bob and Mary
    Well right now it is hanging in my garage where I park my bike along with one of the MOA Banners used at the yearly Calgary Motorcycle Show. An honoured spot indeed. Periodically I touch the sign and take a sip of Glenora (yeah I snagged some), then sigh and look out the door at the snow and think about this ride. Now next year...
    Ken Dittrick

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Well right now it is hanging in my garage where I park my bike along with one of the MOA Banners used at the yearly Calgary Motorcycle Show. An honoured spot indeed. Periodically I touch the sign and take a sip of Glenora (yeah I snagged some), then sigh and look out the door at the snow and think about this ride. Now next year...
    whoa! from collector's item to shrine is quite a leap eh? "Now next year".... is that a 'teaser line'? See you in NY maybe? Again, enjoying the report.
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Hey Ken, just spotted your thread. Great pics and narration. Thanks for posting.
    Rinty

In the next couple of years I'm looking to complete two "bucket list items." One, crossing the US from coast to coast and then returning via Canada - coast to coast. I'd be interested in following your route - in reverse, east to west. Any chance I could bother you for GPS tracks or routes? I would very much appreciate it.
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, and '16 R1200GSA (wife's)

Quote Originally Posted by nakwakto00 View Post
    In the next couple of years I'm looking to complete two "bucket list items." One, crossing the US from coast to coast and then returning via Canada - coast to coast. I'd be interested in following your route - in reverse, east to west. Any chance I could bother you for GPS tracks or routes? I would very much appreciate it.
    Don, I will see what I can dig up and will PM you later.
    Ken Dittrick

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

Shortly after I arrived and found a spot to park I doffed my riding jacket and was greeted by Bob as he appeared over the ridge above the house saying “you must be Ken” with a wide smile and then by other riders who have arrived prior to myself. Bob and Mary immediately welcomed me, showed me the location of the famous soup cooking in the kitchen that, and described the sleeping options which included a nice warm bed in the Mary’s studio on the second level of the ‘barn’ at the top of the hill next to the house. I couldn’t ask for anything better. I claimed one of the beds with my bags and made a bee line to the soup!

I will be posting a few pictures (mostly scenic) of my time the SFRR that did not make it into Bobs ride report but will not repeat the tale of the journey as it has already most ably been done: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....al-Ride-Report

That afternoon and evening was spent eating, consuming local beer, a few cigars and sharing many a tale (some of which may have been true). No doubt everyone gelled as a group very quickly.
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 11-27-2015 at 04:28 PM.
    Ken Dittrick

Day 12

Wow what a difference a day makes. Started out calm and peaceful with a beautiful sunrise.

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

Then the wind kicked up. Many of the group spent time fixing Lin and Kathie’s broken tent trailer and lashing the bikes down so they wouldn't blow over. Next up I joined Quinn and Mo for a walk along the beach to see the waves. Got to see a paper boat race on the river which included some judges that must have retired from the Olympic skating events as the ‘winner’ may have been disputed if it were not such a harmonious community. We also met 97 year-old John D. who runs the only store In Larry's River – what a treat to witness someone so happy to be doing what he loves at that age.

IMG_1402.jpg
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 11-27-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    Ken Dittrick

Ken Dittrick

Ken Dittrick

One correction on John: he's 83 years old. He still maintains his little store like he has for over 50 years and just might still be there when he's 97! "If John doesn't have it; you don't need it", some say. A very interesting person to talk with. This is a picture from that group visit we had with him

We are enjoying your report very much..... - Bob and Mary
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com