Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Canada Ride – Destination Salty Fog

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar

Day Six

This day, planned to be an easy jaunt from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie started with temperatures hovering in the single digits (C) while riding in light to medium fog for the first six hours. It was possible to find spots where I was alone on the highway for periods of time if I set my speed to do so – which I tend to like to do. The sun did cut through the fog to break out in the late afternoon and crank the heat rapidly up to 32C. Wonderfully, somewhere around Wawa and after ~2600 km the skies returned to blue with no sign of smoke! The day was only slightly marred by construction along the route. I captured a few scenic views of Lake Superior along the way.

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

I couldn’t resist stopping to snap a few pictures of the RT dwarfed by a giant baseball at my arrival in Sault Ste. Marie ON.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg
    Ken Dittrick

Day Seven

Well it was fog, construction and thunderstorms this day until late afternoon which meant I had cameras tucked away to stay dry for much of the time. I was the only bike on the road and the only person dumb enough to keep riding but traffic was not too bad so I continued even though it was a torrential downpour near Petawawa. The sun finally broke out near Ottawa ON so I dried off as I rode on and managed to get a few shots of the lakefronts visible from the road – sure are some nice spots to build a cabin retreat.

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg
    Ken Dittrick

Upon arrival in Ottawa I decided to go downtown and ring up PM Harper (Prime Minister) for an election discussion but the drapes were clearly drawn closed at home and he didn't come out at work. (I guess this post is now moot since this government has a new PM in Vogue). I arrived at the tail end of rush hour with zero downtown parking so had to quickly stop and grab a few shots of the downtown of Canada’s capital city featuring the Parliament and Supreme Court buildings.

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

I didn’t stay long and proceeded to find a motel and somewhere to clean up since someone turned up the heat and humidity inside my riding suit in the downtown low speed streets. Time for a shower!
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 11-27-2015 at 12:49 AM.
    Ken Dittrick

Day 8 - Quebec

I have been looking forward to this day travelling through Quebec for a while planning to take two lane roads only up the St. Lawrence River and enjoy the slower pace of rural QC. I was able to do so as I made my run up QC highway 132 (highly recommend this route). It was so nice to toddle along at whatever the local speed recommended (which was widely varying BTW) and truly enjoy the area. For the first time I saw a large number or motorcyclists on the roads with me who were also joined by an equal number of Can-am machines as well as Mazda Miata’s. Beautiful day.

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 11-28-2015 at 06:19 AM.
    Ken Dittrick

Ken Dittrick

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

I then made my way into New Brunswick where I had booked into Riverside RV Park & Campground off two lane Route 144 near Edmonston NB. I had really taken my time getting there, night was falling and I made a wrong turn because of an ambiguous rural address in my GPS sending me 40 Km out of my way. Duh, I finally figured that out when I saw a bridge ahead ‘Hey there isn’t a river crossing on my route!’ and a sign letting me know that the border crossing to the USA was on the other side! I consulted my detailed paper map via flashlight and quickly realized my error, turned around and set off in the correct direction. By now I had to set up camp in the dark and only then noticed that I was hungry – very hungry! One of my camping neighbours had ridden a lot in his youth stopped by, took pity on me and brought over a couple cobs of corn left over from his family’s meal which I gratefully consumed while we swapped riding stories. However, I was soon back on the bike retracing the highway looking for a place that was still open for more food. Found a wonderful place serving poutine! It was such a massive lump of gravy, curd, fries, and gooey goodness and I was so ravenous that I ate Ύ of it before I stopped for a picture.

IMG_2514.jpg
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 11-26-2015 at 12:37 AM.
    Ken Dittrick

Great ride report! Love the pic of poutine! Made my mouth water.
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, and '16 R1200GSA (wife's)

New Brunswick - Day Nine

My Edmonston NB camp this morning after the rain overnight – not my chair – folks who run the place must have brought it to me in the dark.

IMG_2515.jpg

As had become my normal routine, I quickly split camp, and headed out in search of coffee and a muffin – almost always at a Tim Hortons which is institutional in small town Canada. Success! I quickly spot a Timmies in the tiny hamlet of Saint Leonard, pull off and get a coffee and muffin to go. Returning to where I was parked, I proceeded to sip coffee and do a routine check of the bike.

Yep. That would be a nail.

IMG_2516.jpg

After looking at the nail considering the options (pull the nail and plug the tire, call the nearest shop with a tire that would fit my bike) I decided to at least see if there was a tire to be had nearby before doing anything at all. I had pre-loaded my iPhone contacts with BMW and other motorcycle shops along my general route and found the nearest to be Atlantic Motoplex in Dieppe NB just outside Moncton. Atlantic is a multi-vendor shop that includes BMW so I put in a call to their service area, was greeted pleasantly. Once I had explained where I was and my need they checked and indeed had a supply of Michelin PR4s which suited me perfectly. They also said that if I could make it there today (a Friday) before closing they would squeeze me in. I checked and it was about four hours away and only 100 Km off my intended route. I told them I was heading there and gave an approximate ETA. Now to decide whether or not to plug the tire or just ride. I checked the pressure (tire warm) with both with my digital meter from my toolkit and riding around the parking lot with the bike TPS; it appeared I was down about 3-4 PSI from normal. I opted not to plug it reasoning with my TPS I could top the tire up now and watch the pressure as I rode and therefore take action if I started suddenly losing air. As it turned out after topping up, I lost only 4 PSI before I reached Dieppe loosing roughly 1 PSI per hour so nothing alarming.

IMG_2517.jpg
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 12-02-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    Ken Dittrick

I was warmly welcomed at Atlantic Motoplex and they took my bike immediately to an open lift to begin working on it. I was invited to go up to their customer lounge, have a coffee and watch the work from above through large picture windows overlooking the service bays below.

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

By mid-afternoon my bike was wearing a shiny new tire and ready to go. As usual they gave the safety warning that new tires are slippery until worn in for a 100 or so Kms depending upon riding conditions.

IMG_2521.jpg
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 11-26-2015 at 06:34 PM.
    Ken Dittrick

Prince Edward Island

I crossed into Prince Edward Island over the 14 Km (8 mile) long Confederation Bridge with clear sky and light winds. This bridge is the longest in the world that crosses ice-covered water, was opened in 1997, and cost $1B CAN to build.

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 01-17-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    Ken Dittrick

After a brief stop I decided to head to the west-most end of the island at the West Point Lighthouse following the coast instead of proceeding directly to my destination. That option doubled the distance but I never saw a road with lines on it until I got to Cabot Beach Provincial Park where I would camp for the night.

IMG_2527.jpg
    Ken Dittrick

After setting up, I went back to a quaint home I saw about 20 Km back that advertised Art for sale and hot food and indeed when I checked it out they were selling fine oil paintings and served meals composed of locally sourced fish and vegetables. I was the only evening customer since it was now off-season and near the end of the tourist run for the year and the home made food and hot gourmet tea hit the spot for sure!

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

Time for bed and fell asleep being serenaded by a large group of campers singing maritime songs – lovely.
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 11-26-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    Ken Dittrick

Beautiful maritime day! Got to see the inside of another lighthouse, examined the bright red mud they have here to grow potatoes in, saw a lot of pretty homes with manicured lawns, a lot of rural churches, won an award receiving a blue ribbon and frame-able certificate for my effort, and made what could have been a 270 km ride into over 400 ending in Red Point Provincial Park. I spent the evening as a guest around the fire swapping tales and sharing routes we enjoyed in the past with three Maritimers who happened to also be motorcyclists.

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg
    Last edited by KenDittrick; 12-02-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Ken Dittrick

East Point Lighthouse

Ken Dittrick