• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harbor freight tire changer

neilf

I was wondering if anyone has a way to use a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changing attachment on a BMW rim. An R1150RT to be exact.

If it is the same changer I have, I bet it is, I purchased a set of black nylon round "buttons" that I bolted to the tops of the three existing tire mounts. They allowed the thick BMW rims to be held in place. I dumped the tire changing bar in favor of a bar from No Mar and I use their changing lubes and third hand tool. I also use a cam tie down strap to help hold the rim in place because it will just rotate around as you turn the tire bar.

Oh ya, I also keep a pack of band-aids on hand and don't allow young children in the area :laugh

Quick edit
I just saw the second post, good find, Mojo blocks!

As for his comment about not liking the changer, I completely understand. It is not user friendly, but it is cheap and does work with upgrades.

Good luck

Have one

I have one and have modified it with the same round buttons sold by Never Mar.

They still allow the wheel to slip when using the Never Mar bar.

Would not recommend this stand except to hold wheels while using tire irons.

The only good thing I can say about it is it's inexpensive

They still allow the wheel to slip when using the Never Mar bar.

Yup, that is what I use the cam lock tie down web strap for, to prevent the wheel from rotating, just loop it around a mag spoke and then back against the wheel rotation under the tire and then loop it around the changer frame and the wheel can't move at all. A "third hand tool" is a must when two hands are needed to rotate the bar. "Third had tools" are really clever and I think No Mar sells them.

On easy tires I use irons but find a wood square, made of 2x4's, on the ground with the wheel on it much easier for I can stand or kneel on the wheel as needed.

I too use a HF tire changer with mojo bar and after 5 years I am pleased with it. Does take up some garage floor space as it works best when bolted to concrete. I have heard of some folks attaching to a wooden platform but concrete works best, imo. Where I lived in Eastern Oregon both mc shops refused to mount tires on BMW wheels. Thus began my DIY tire changing and now I wouldn't have it any other way.

I too use a HF tire changer with mojo bar and after 5 years I am pleased with it. Does take up some garage floor space as it works best when bolted to concrete. I have heard of some folks attaching to a wooden platform but concrete works best, imo. Where I lived in Eastern Oregon both mc shops refused to mount tires on BMW wheels. Thus began my DIY tire changing and now I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have a 4'x4' piece of 3/4" plywood with 4 carriage bolts attached than I throw down wherever I want when it is time to re-shoe my beast.

I also have my No Mar mounted on a 4' x 4' sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. Allows for moving it about in the shop, yet it is very stable while in use.

I also have my No Mar mounted on a 4' x 4' sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. Allows for moving it about in the shop, yet it is very stable while in use.

No Mar, wish I had one. I just have their bar, and that is totally sweet.

Back