• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

06 K1200S Idle Grating Noise

smsmith

Just purchased 06 KS, 11,000 mi. Looks and runs perfect except grating vibration / noise at idle. Had new timing chain tensioner installed, hasn't helped. Can this be corrected? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sam

Just purchased 06 KS, 11,000 mi. Looks and runs perfect except grating vibration / noise at idle. Had new timing chain tensioner installed, hasn't helped. Can this be corrected? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sam

What did the mechanic who installed the tensioner tell you when it didn't make the noise go away??

Does the noise change if the clutch is pulled, and does the bike make any unusual noises or vibrations when getting underway? Also, when the tensioner was replaced did they pull the cam cover and verify that the cams are still timed correctly? Just wondering if the tensioner replacement was a preventative measure or if the bike had experienced a possible cam chain jump...

Best,

DG

Sam

I had an 06 K1200R with similar mileage, which I purchased from Max BMW, a pretty reputable shop. First ride, when I shifted into neutral at a red light, I had what I think was the same grinding sound. When I pulled the clutch in, it disappeared. Max told me this was "normal", but I was skeptical, so had it inspected by another dealer and they said it wasn't a problem. It still seemed odd that a "normal" bike in this price range would have such a strange and bothersome noise, but must say I drove it for a few years until I sold it without any issue. It's a quirky bike, I think, with a number of small, but niggling issues. But I loved it and had zero problems during ownership.

J Had new timing chain tensioner installed, hasn't helped.
Welcome to the forum.

Did the shop install the updated OEM tensioner with the reservoir, or a aftermarket tensioner that you manual adjust?

Here's a pic of the updated OEM tensioner.

5231e1d6-6556-44ce-9042-5545718e0793_zps25208b30.jpg

I am new to a freshly serviced '06 K1200R with 6k miles and the very first thing I noticed was this "grating" noise. It does stop with the clutch engaged, and my tensioner appears to be as originally delivered. The bike runs out fine, but does have some throttle modulation quirkiness below 3k --I have noted this described in many different ways with various solutions.

Is there a bulletin for the tensioner update pictured above and/or is there a site that lists bulletins and recalls for all BMW motorcycles?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure the topics of "clutch grinding" and the cam chain tensioner/cover are all over this site and others. I have also seen a link to all of the recalls as well.

I just picked my new to me '06 k12s last night with 34k on it. It also has a very pronounced grinding at idle which goes away with the clutch pulled in. The PO was told by a local deal when he bought it that it was the clutch (though I think it is really a gearbox issue) and again "it was perfectly normal for these bikes". He was also told that if it didn't cause a more serious problem in the first 10k miles or so, it would be fine.

Now this could all be bs by either the dealer or the PO, who was inclined to not have me back out of the deal, but it has run fine in the hour drive home last night (!), so I'll take it one step at a time.

I am going to visit the dealer who has done all of the service on the bike today and see if they won't give me a copy of the service history and ask about the grinding to see what the answer is currently... If I don't have to replace the clutch basket and pack I beleive I have gotten a nice deal on this bike, if not, well, such is life.

Curious to hear what you find out and what you end up doing with yours!
David

Update: went through this the service history with dealer and discussed gearbox noise: pretty much the same story that it's fine and if I can live with the sound then it would not be a problem. He did indicate it was an all or nothing remedy with clutch basket and assorted parts from the k13s model and a cool $1000++ to fix, so I'll live with the sound for a while (or get a louder exhaust ;)

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum David and burangs:wave

We have two S 05 builds. One clutch chirps, the other doesn't. Doesn't happen all the time, usually only when the Ducati and Aprilia guys are nearby at startup:banghead
I just tell H to pull the clutch in:whistle Then the looks as it bangs into first are equally annoying...for her.

Be careful on that rocket...it's smooth and quickly into ticket zone.

Thanks and agreed...I have owned and ridden a number of big sport bikes but there is something amazing to the "rush" with which the 'S' brings on the speed :brad

Pretty sure the topics of "clutch grinding" and the cam chain tensioner/cover are all over this site and others. I have also seen a link to all of the recalls as well.

I just picked my new to me '06 k12s last night with 34k on it. It also has a very pronounced grinding at idle which goes away with the clutch pulled in. The PO was told by a local deal when he bought it that it was the clutch (though I think it is really a gearbox issue) and again "it was perfectly normal for these bikes". He was also told that if it didn't cause a more serious problem in the first 10k miles or so, it would be fine.

Now this could all be bs by either the dealer or the PO, who was inclined to not have me back out of the deal, but it has run fine in the hour drive home last night (!), so I'll take it one step at a time.

I am going to visit the dealer who has done all of the service on the bike today and see if they won't give me a copy of the service history and ask about the grinding to see what the answer is currently... If I don't have to replace the clutch basket and pack I beleive I have gotten a nice deal on this bike, if not, well, such is life.

Curious to hear what you find out and what you end up doing with yours!
David

Update: went through this the service history with dealer and discussed gearbox noise: pretty much the same story that it's fine and if I can live with the sound then it would not be a problem. He did indicate it was an all or nothing remedy with clutch basket and assorted parts from the k13s model and a cool $1000++ to fix, so I'll live with the sound for a while (or get a louder exhaust ;)

I have an 06 K12s as well, I have been reading a fella on I-bmw.com site ( http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=51004 ) about a fix he has come up with.. you might want to check it out.. I will post more, once I have finished the process.

Ride Safe, Long and Happy. :)

Back