• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Naked K100 conversion

donmystic1

Donmystic1
I have a very low milage 1985 Naked K100.

I would like to convert this to a RT with a full fairing and lowers. ( I have a complete fairing, lowers Battery covers and tail piece )

What problems am I going to run into ? Everything looks compatible except for some wiring harness issues.

I have not tried this/done this so I am winging this answer. But, I do have a couple of naked K75s and a K75RT and Voni has a K75s. It seems to me that this is a lot like putting a fairing on a naked bike back when Luftmeister and Vetter were in their prime.

You will need to make sure you have clearance for the headlight bucket, but will probably have to remove the whole thing back to the backing plate.

You will have to extend wiring for the high beam, low beam, parking light, left turn signal and right turn signal to the fairing.

There may be some switches at the fairing that need to be connected.

Plan the wiring changes in advance. Get a good assortment of colored wire - original colors would be nice but not absolutely necessary as long as you document which is which.

K 100 Fairing

Paul is right, get the same color wires. It is hard enough to trace wires without mixing colors.
:wave
I do not know about the lower section but I have had the top of an RT fairing on my K since 1986. Works ell and wiring is simple. Biggest problem for me was getting "tilt" of fairing correct so light stayed focused. This is probably not a problem with lowers installed. Good luck with job.

Funny thing is I went the other route. 85K100RT into a Naked. Very low miles but all the front plastics were worn down like it had been in a sand storm.
I believe the hardest part on front end electrics was the sharing of the brown ground wire. One wire supplied ground for many locations. Buy lots of brown wire.:thumb

RT to K100 standard

I'm doing that conversion. Like the bike; '87, just tired of the fairing. I've got the fairing removed. Just need to find a headlight bucket assembly. I've got the BMW windshield assembly and spot lamp kit to install. The bike has about 50,000 on the od. I figure the bike is just broke in and I gottabout 500,000 miles left in service life. :) Will get a roll of brown wire as recommended in previous post. Thx

I realize this is an old thread but recently I was given a collection of BMW Service Bulletins covering the early years 84-87 BMW K100 & K75. One of the bulletins advises to not put a RT fairing on a stock naked bike. The reason in those days was because the front frame mounts to the engine where shimed on the faired bikes and not shimed on the naked bikes. That apparently had something to do with vibration. If you had the engine out of a faired bike you also had to torque the frame mounts to the transmission first and then measure the gap in the front frame mounts to the engine and install the proper shim. There were several shim sizes. I'm not sure if they were just being careful or if there really was a problem.

You also would have to add more fork oil for a faired bike, 360 cc verses 330 for a naked bike. Other than that just all the electrical stuff and I think there was something about the rubbers in the gauge cluster, also related to vibration.

Just posting for future reference.

Back