Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What is long distance?

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    ... NO.

A bunch of us have been pondering your question around campfires and rally's the last 5 years.
    And you deserve an answer before the Forum Five Year Opinion Verdict expires. (no such thing actually exists)
    John - I need a ruling: does traveling ~35,500ish miles in only 1 state count as low, medium or long distance? "No distance" since I started and ended at my house over the whole "ride"??? A bored-at-work mind needs to know!!!!

At the end of the day, I subscribe to Danny Liska's quote: "It's only far if you don't go"

We should drag up more threads like this...
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Strange to visualize Texas like that - then I check and find out it is 830 miles from Pensacola to Key West in our tiny little state. Also 1350 miles of coastline ranks second only to Alaska. Michigan is second if you count shoreline instead.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Careful or Alaska may split into two states and make Texas the third largest state.
    And creating two states with the fewest people among the then 51.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

The guy who rode 30 consecutive 1,000 mile days, or Voni who rode 72 consecutive 500 days in 1999 is long distance riding. Or a 49 state ride in 10 or fewer days is long distance riding. Or 1,000 miles in 24 hours is long distance riding. Even 92 Dairy Queens in 13 days might be long distance riding. And a new rookie rider riding his or her first 300 or 400 miles in a day may be long distance riding. The metric is in the mind of the beholder.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 09-19-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The guy who rode 30 consecutive 1,000 mile days, or Voni who rode 61 consecutive 500 days in 1999 is long distance riding. Or a 49 state ride in 10 or fewer days is long distance riding. Or 1,000 miles in 24 hours is long distance riding. Even 92 Dairy Queens in 13 days might be long distance riding. And a new rookie rider riding his or her first 300 or 400 miles in a day may be long distance riding. The metric is in the butt of the beholder.
    Fixed it.....
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Never have more ambition than adhesion.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    And creating two states with the fewest people among the then 51.
    This is just between you and me.....

I was a key player in the development of a plan for the Yukon Territory and Alaska each to secede from their respective countries and to unite to form a new country. The plan was hashed out at the annual bonspiel in Whitehorse after an exhausting evening of curling. The plan never got off the ground because: A) We ran out of sufficient funds for beer, and B) An agreement on the name of the new nation could not be agreed upon (Yulaska or Alaskon). But, one of these days someone will spring for an extra round or two and my suggested name compromise for the country (Rupert) will be taken. Then watch out, because a new nation will be born.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Never have more ambition than adhesion.

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    John - I need a ruling: does traveling ~35,500ish miles in only 1 state count as low, medium or long distance? "No distance" since I started and ended at my house over the whole "ride"??? A bored-at-work mind needs to know!!!!

At the end of the day, I subscribe to Danny Liska's quote: "It's only far if you don't go"

We should drag up more threads like this...

First off Thom... your "flat" crazy. Minnesota only and 40k+ in one year... There has to be lot's of cornering tread-life remaining on all the tires you went through!

However, during the BMWNEF Winter Rally this year (pre-covid), your scenario and undertaking was discussed at great interest by MOA Distance Guru's.

You Sir, were easily bestowed the title and credentialed a Long Distance Rider... belated Congratulations from the assembly of guru's! (no actual group)

The 100+ riding days alone, all within MN... was punishment enough to justify your qualification.

It's also true that, MOA High Milage man "Skeeter" (MN)... advised we never buy a used bike from you.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    This is just between you and me.....

I was a key player in the development of a plan for the Yukon Territory and Alaska each to secede from their respective countries and to unite to form a new country. The plan was hashed out at the annual bonspiel in Whitehorse after an exhausting evening of curling. The plan never got off the ground because: A) We ran out of sufficient funds for beer, and B) An agreement on the name of the new nation could not be agreed upon (Yulaska or Alaskon). But, one of these days someone will spring for an extra round or two and my suggested name compromise for the country (Rupert) will be taken. Then watch out, because a new nation will be born.
    Unlike Alaska which is stuck with a mere two US Senators forever, Texas might someday have ten US Senators. The 1845 joint resolution that admitted Texas to the Union provided that Texas could be divided into as many as five states. This gets talked about every now and then at bars, tailgate and fraternity parties, and family conversations with an old weird uncle but nobody can figure out what to do with Amarillo so the discussion dies.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Strange to visualize Texas like that - then I check and find out it is 830 miles from Pensacola to Key West in our tiny little state. Also 1350 miles of coastline ranks second only to Alaska. Michigan is second if you count shoreline instead.
    Fl isnít that tiny. Until the 90s Florida was one of and sometimes the number one beef producing state in the US. Itís actually much bigger than most think. I hated driving from homestead to visit family in Jacksonville. And driving south to see my grandmother in key west on those tiny side walks that passed as highways in the 60s seemed just as long with a much better view.

On a side note I put 9800 miles on my KLR 650 last year. No where near as comfortable as my f 800gs.

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Steve,

California is 770 miles long. It's 840 miles of coastline makes for a nice ride or it's over 500 miles of Sierra Nevada and Cascades ( north to south) can keep you in the state for weeks.

We have done the S- N and N-S a few times... we missed the last Oregon MOA rally headed up from Redondo Beach visiting family and laughed everytime folks called asking where we were all weekend. All good!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Ummmm...Maine's coastline is 3,478 miles total, and that doesn't include all the islands. Michigan's is 3,288.

I never would have guessed that FL at 8,436 and LA at 7,721 topped the list behind AK at 33,904.

In any case, there's a lot of shoreline to see in this country.
    Dave K.
    1971 R75/5, 2016 R1200R

Newfoundland has 10 900 miles of coastline and you can ride quite a bit of it.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Newfoundland has 10 900 miles of coastline and you can ride quite a bit of it.
    ... Most of us down here in the States, are still working on the three provinces of The Maritimes!
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    ... Most of us down here in the States, are still working on the three provinces of The Maritimes!
    Watch out there - - Newfoundlanders may not appreciate being written out of the Maritimes!
    2013 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Watch out there - - Newfoundlanders may not appreciate being written out of the Maritimes!
    The Maritimes are Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. When you add Newfoundland to those three provinces, it's referred to as Atlantic Canada.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure