Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is long distance?

Rally Rat

What is long distance?

Just finished reading a Panjo ad, now wondering what the term "long distance travel" (annual mileage) means. Ad suggests "cross country" riding with multi 600 mile days, yet bike has had only 29,000 miles put on it in 8 1/2 years (3,400 mile annual average). What stats are there on average annual mileage for registered bikes in US? For BMW bikes in US?

The MOA has an annual mileage contest. From a quickly diminishing memory, the average rider who enters the contest rides around 9000 miles in the 6 months of the contest. On the one hand, the number may be skewed high because it includes only BMW riders and only those who choose to compete in the contest. On the other hand, the number may be skewed low because it includes only mileage ridden in the six best riding months and excludes miles ridden by folks in the more gentle climes in the other six months. In any case, riding less than 4000 miles a year is Harleysque in nature, meaning low.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Interesting question. I don't think long distance can be statistically defined. Average riding distances I think can be defined.

I had a science teacher in high school tell me once, "there's no such thing as cold... Only lack of heat."

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Interesting question. I don't think long distance can be statistically defined. Average riding distances I think can be defined.

I had a science teacher in high school tell me once, "there's no such thing as cold... Only lack of heat."
    Ah, so there is no such thing as long ... only a lack of short???

Fifteen or so years ago when I was MOA President I had gathered some seemingly decent statistics. The average MOA member was riding about 9,000 miles a year. The average AMA member was riding about 3,000 miles a year. And - a pretty fuzzy statistic about the average motorcycle rider in the U.S. riding about 1,800 miles a year.

I suspect those statistics remain relevent if not exact, today.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

Fifteen or so years ago when I was MOA President I had gathered some seemingly decent statistics. The average MOA member was riding about 9,000 miles a year. The average AMA member was riding about 3,000 miles a year. And - a pretty fuzzy statistic about the average motorcycle rider in the U.S. riding about 1,800 miles a year.

I suspect those statistics remain relevent if not exact, today.
    Thanks. I assume our MOA numbers would be quite a bit less without the Glaves' totals

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I think it is the other way around " no such thing as short, only lack of long".
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    I think it is the other way around " no such thing as short, only lack of long".
    Yeah, I didn't want to touch that one... I thought maybe one of the ladies would chime in and extol the virtues of short verses long.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    In any case, riding less than 4000 miles a year is Harleysque in nature, meaning low.
    Hey I had a bad year. Lets keep this civil

Wayne Koppa
    #71,449

It kind of is what you think it is. Lots of factors to consider, to many to quantify. If you do a lot of other stuff, maybe you make one big 2000 mile trip a year, and then just get to scoot about. Maybe a 150 mile ride is a long ride for you. This is just one of those subjective things. Personally, I feel a bit robbed if I don't ride my expensive BMW 5-6 thousand miles a year. But maybe there's someone else with a different schedule, who still rides a long way but gets less rides in.

A long distance is any distance where the rider feels they are venturing far from home would be my statement. For a new rider that may be 100 miles, for a seasoned rider maybe they don't feel long distancy until they cross that 4th state line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think long distance riding is when you get used to and don't mind your stock BMW seat after a few days.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I think long distance riding is when you get used to and don't mind your stock BMW seat after a few days.
    Nice.

A stock BMW seat is only good for a few feet, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by f650624 View Post
    A stock BMW seat is only good for a few feet, not days.
    I'd disagree having done 14k on my stock RT seat of which three trips were over 2000 miles in under 4 days each with zero complaints.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    To me, long distance has nothing to do with annual mileage. I used to commute 50 miles each way to work on the bike, every day the weather permitted (8 months of the year usually) so I racked up a lot of miles in a year but was unable to do long trips during that phase of my life. Compared to my 1,000 mile days when on a 'long' trip a time or two, these commute days did not seem long distance. So, as implied in several posts above: apples, oranges, kiwi, banana, canteloupe. All good but very different.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >138,000 miles -- Black, 01/10/2000 to present
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/

Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by 58058D View Post
    To me, long distance has nothing to do with annual mileage. I used to commute 50 miles each way to work on the bike, every day the weather permitted (8 months of the year usually) so I racked up a lot of miles in a year but was unable to do long trips during that phase of my life. Compared to my 1,000 mile days when on a 'long' trip a time or two, these commute days did not seem long distance. So, as implied in several posts above: apples, oranges, kiwi, banana, canteloupe. All good but very different.
    Totally agree, used to ride 1,200 miles round trip from Sarasota FL to Suches GA every two weeks for 3 yrs put a lot of miles on the bike but did not get anywhere.
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA