• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is long distance?

And creating two states with the fewest people among the then 51.

This is just between you and me.....

I was a key player in the development of a plan for the Yukon Territory and Alaska each to secede from their respective countries and to unite to form a new country. The plan was hashed out at the annual bonspiel in Whitehorse after an exhausting evening of curling. The plan never got off the ground because: A) We ran out of sufficient funds for beer, and B) An agreement on the name of the new nation could not be agreed upon (Yulaska or Alaskon). But, one of these days someone will spring for an extra round or two and my suggested name compromise for the country (Rupert) will be taken. Then watch out, because a new nation will be born.

John - I need a ruling: does traveling ~35,500ish miles in only 1 state count as low, medium or long distance? "No distance" since I started and ended at my house over the whole "ride"??? A bored-at-work mind needs to know!!!!

At the end of the day, I subscribe to Danny Liska's quote: "It's only far if you don't go"

We should drag up more threads like this... :brad

First off Thom... your "flat" crazy. Minnesota only and 40k+ in one year... There has to be lot's of cornering tread-life remaining on all the tires you went through!

However, during the BMWNEF Winter Rally this year (pre-covid), your scenario and undertaking was discussed at great interest by MOA Distance Guru's.

You Sir, were easily bestowed the title and credentialed a Long Distance Rider... belated Congratulations from the assembly of guru's! (no actual group)

The 100+ riding days alone, all within MN... was punishment enough to justify your qualification.

It's also true that, MOA High Milage man "Skeeter" (MN)... advised we never buy a used bike from you.

This is just between you and me.....

I was a key player in the development of a plan for the Yukon Territory and Alaska each to secede from their respective countries and to unite to form a new country. The plan was hashed out at the annual bonspiel in Whitehorse after an exhausting evening of curling. The plan never got off the ground because: A) We ran out of sufficient funds for beer, and B) An agreement on the name of the new nation could not be agreed upon (Yulaska or Alaskon). But, one of these days someone will spring for an extra round or two and my suggested name compromise for the country (Rupert) will be taken. Then watch out, because a new nation will be born.

Unlike Alaska which is stuck with a mere two US Senators forever, Texas might someday have ten US Senators. The 1845 joint resolution that admitted Texas to the Union provided that Texas could be divided into as many as five states. This gets talked about every now and then at bars, tailgate and fraternity parties, and family conversations with an old weird uncle but nobody can figure out what to do with Amarillo so the discussion dies. :)

Strange to visualize Texas like that - then I check and find out it is 830 miles from Pensacola to Key West in our tiny little state. Also 1350 miles of coastline ranks second only to Alaska. Michigan is second if you count shoreline instead.

Fl isn’t that tiny. Until the 90s Florida was one of and sometimes the number one beef producing state in the US. It’s actually much bigger than most think. I hated driving from homestead to visit family in Jacksonville. And driving south to see my grandmother in key west on those tiny side walks that passed as highways in the 60s seemed just as long with a much better view.

On a side note I put 9800 miles on my KLR 650 last year. No where near as comfortable as my f 800gs.

Steve,

California is 770 miles long. It's 840 miles of coastline makes for a nice ride or it's over 500 miles of Sierra Nevada and Cascades ( north to south) can keep you in the state for weeks.

:dance:dance:dance

We have done the S- N and N-S a few times... we missed the last Oregon MOA rally headed up from Redondo Beach visiting family and laughed everytime folks called asking where we were all weekend. All good!

Strange to visualize Texas like that - then I check and find out it is 830 miles from Pensacola to Key West in our tiny little state. Also 1350 miles of coastline ranks second only to Alaska. Michigan is second if you count shoreline instead.

Ummmm...Maine's coastline is 3,478 miles total, and that doesn't include all the islands. Michigan's is 3,288.

I never would have guessed that FL at 8,436 and LA at 7,721 topped the list behind AK at 33,904.

In any case, there's a lot of shoreline to see in this country.

Watch out there - - Newfoundlanders may not appreciate being written out of the Maritimes!

The Maritimes are Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. When you add Newfoundland to those three provinces, it's referred to as Atlantic Canada.

The Maritimes are Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. When you add Newfoundland to those three provinces, it's referred to as Atlantic Canada.

Ahhh. We were taught NL belonged to the Maritimes.

Well, I guess now I can say I’ve visited all of the Maritimes. :thumb

Ahhh. We were taught NL belonged to the Maritimes.

Well, I guess now I can say I’ve visited all of the Maritimes. :thumb
Well, if things return somewhat to normal and Canada reopens their borders to the United States, I intend to hit D2D, Tuktayak, Translab and the Canadian Maritime Provinces next summer. That will be "Long Distance" in my feeble mind.

Well, if things return somewhat to normal and Canada reopens their borders to the United States, I intend to hit D2D, Tuktayak, Translab and the Canadian Maritime Provinces next summer. That will be "Long Distance" in my feeble mind.

I've replied to your (this) proposed itinerary on another thread, this would simply be incredible. It would put you in an elite club... of maybe one!

Whether it's from somewhere in South Dakota or Saskatoon Saskatchewan... The Dempster and The Trans-lab in one summer, did I mention incredible?

Back