• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do the Service Techs at most shops warm the bike before draining the fluids?

wvpc

I was in the process of doing a 36K mile service on my Camhead when a thought occurred to me. Conventional Wisdom calls for the bike oils to be warmed by riding for several miles before draining. OK. Yes the oil does drain faster and any suspended matter should flow out.

Then I started to think how do the Sevice Techs at dealers worldwide drain bike oils? I can't recall ever seeing any techs warming bikes prior to service. Has anybody else?

Sure. I've seen them warm a bike at idle, sometimes on a lift with the bike connected to an exhaust hose.

After riding 2.4 hours to get my bike to the shop, it's usually pretty warm when they pull it. This Saturday though, I'll have em do the throttle body synch and valve adjustment, buy the oil and filter and do it myself when I get home, for no other reason other than I love servicing the oil on my bike.

But to answer your question, yes, a good service department will change the oil hot or warm.

Ok but that would not warm the transmission or final drive.

When on the centerstand, BMWs since the 80's K and Oilhead typically rest on the front tire, so those models could be idled in gear. It wouldn't warm the gearbox and rear drive much, but would get those oils stirred up.

After riding 2.4 hours to get my bike to the shop, it's usually pretty warm when they pull it. This Saturday though, I'll have em do the throttle body synch and valve adjustment, buy the oil and filter and do it myself when I get home, for no other reason other than I love servicing the oil on my bike.
They're adjusting the valves with hot heads? That's a specific no-no for BMWs.. too much expansion of different metal components (and they don't give a hot-valve-clearance value..)

To me, thinking the oil must be warm to drain out is akin to believing a battery will discharge if placed on a concrete floor.
Old wives tale, somehow adopted by some motorcycle guys.
You are not dealing with molasses there, nor old crystallized honey.
The preposterously different amount of oil you might, and I say might get out is so minuscule as to make it not worth my while. On any vehicle.
Unless it was running molasses.
dc

To me, thinking the oil must be warm to drain out is akin to believing a battery will discharge if placed on a concrete floor.
You are not dealing with molasses there, nor old crystallized honey.
The preposterously different amount of oil you might, and I say might get out is so minuscule as to make it not worth my while. On any vehicle.
Unless it was running molasses.
dc

It isn't the amount of oil that you are trying to influence, it is the contaminants IN the oil. If you warm up the motor, trans and FD, the contaminants are suspended in the oil and flow out more readily when draining it.

Jim :brow

Yes. you'd get more contaminants out.

But see Don's email, above - the valve clearances wouldn't be correct if the valves and heads were hot when adjusted.

They're adjusting the valves with hot heads? That's a specific no-no for BMWs.. too much expansion of different metal components (and they don't give a hot-valve-clearance value..)

Sorry for the confusing post. No they do the valves cold. This weekend I'm having the switches on the right handlebar replaced... cosmetic. While there I'll get the throttle body since and valve adjustment. The techs at Pensacola simply time the list of services I usually show up with to be conducive to a warm or cold engine. When I show up with fluid changes, which is rare as I usually do it myself, they do at first to take advantage of the warmth of fluids.

Life is not always perfection. And life has compromises.

Yes, best shop practice is to drain lubricants hot. Yes, valves really need to be adjusted cold. Yes, good customer service would not require keeping the bike over night or a few hours to cool.

The ideal is to ride the bike (to the dealer shop or DIY shop), drain the lubricants as soon as cool enough not to cause injury, then allow an hour or two to cool down and then adjust the valves.

In my mind the crucial thing with the lubricants is to get them stirred up. This will allow most if not nearly all of the crud to be swept away with the draining.

dc

What D13 said. If you have so much particulate matter in your oil that it will settle out overnight, you have some serious issues. As far as it draining more, BS! After the bike sits several hours, gravity has returned most of the oil to the pan. Start the bike and it is spread all over the inside of cases, pistons, cams, valves etc, and will take hours to return to the crankcase. I think the tradition is carried over from when straight 30, 40 and 50 weight oil was the norm, and if it was cold, the stuff was like honey.

I actually try to park my vehicles overnight before draining.

True. My dealer tells me to drop the bike off the night before the appointment because of this.

My FJR retains over a quart of oil in the engine, transmission and clutch during an oil and filter change (drains 4.1 quarts, holds over 5 ouarts). Guys have tried various techniques to get more oil to drain with no significant in the amount drained. FJR engines are known for their reliability for high mileage, so I guess retaining 20% of the oil at a change is not particularly harmful. I suspect that BMWs with a wet clutch retain a similar proportion of the oil when the oil is changed.

It isn't the amount of oil that you are trying to influence, it is the contaminants IN the oil. If you warm up the motor, trans and FD, the contaminants are suspended in the oil and flow out more readily when draining it.

Jim :brow

And the contaminants don't separate from the oil and hide in there somewhere. They remain in the oil and flow out with it.
Like another has mentioned, I think the theory that you actually spread contaminants and leave them hanging on engine parts by running is probably more valid than what you would ADD in taking it out hot.
I mean, how many mini micro milli grams difference do you really think it makes.
You do remember there are some who use an eye dropper to add or subtract EXACTLY the right amount of oil after draining. What do they add?
dc

I remember getting a few more ounces of oil to drain by turning the engine over a few times with the kickstarter. I suppose that would be more difficult today. :D

Back