• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07RT Left Pannier locking tab missing

mikegalbicka

Back in the saddle again
I have been meaning to fix this since I bought this bike over a year ago and found it missing but now it seems to be getting harder to dismount the left pannier so I better quit putting it off. In the pictures below you will see a tab missing from the left pannier lock and two shots of the right pannier lock with the tab (I am assuming they are supposed to be identical based on the mating surfaces of both). Can anyone help me identify and purchase this part? I am hoping it is available and easy to snap on.

Left

left.jpg

Right

right1.jpg

right2.jpg

The standard part # is 46 54 7 699 847 (two for ~$8.50). BMW also sells a set of these parts in larger sizes to get a good fit, Part #46 54 7 712 002, about $5.50 at MAX BMW(scroll down to bottom). Your dealer should be able to help pick the right size.

Replacement instructions in the attachment:

Attachments

• 46 006 07 (059) Play at Saddlebag Mounts.pdf
    72.6 KB · Views: 25
Apparently this part changed over the years. My '06 (built August, '05):
Locking tab.jpg

No horizontal tab, or provision to add one, on either side. They can move a little, less than a quarter inch at the extremities.

Mike, I think the lack of a tab would make it easier to dismount, not harder? :dunno

Though I'd still replace it.

Thanks a lot for the info Larry. I am not entirely sure the tab is the cause of the dismount problem but figured I would start there. I was thinking perhaps without the tab the alignment might be off a little putting more pressure on the locking mechanism causing the handle to stick while sliding into the full release position. Sometimes I have to wiggle and jiggle the pannier and pull what seems like a little too hard on the handle to get it to release.

I'll throw this out for consideration...REI. I had a buckle break on a tank bag. REI had replacement buckles...probably fixed. Admittedly, the tank bag buckles are fairly generic, but it's worth a shot. Check them online to see if anything would work.

Thanks a lot for the info Larry. I am not entirely sure the tab is the cause of the dismount problem but figured I would start there. I was thinking perhaps without the tab the alignment might be off a little putting more pressure on the locking mechanism causing the handle to stick while sliding into the full release position. Sometimes I have to wiggle and jiggle the pannier and pull what seems like a little too hard on the handle to get it to release.

Mike,

those tabs ARE needed to properly secure the pannier to the bike....AND they come in different thicknesses to accomodate wear and variations in assembly....

i needed to add the thicker of the 5 to my bags to get a more snug fit when locked on my RT...

wyman

That is excellent Larry and will be the next step if necessary. Thanks so much for taking the time to track that down. I appreciate it big time.

Tabs come in different thickness... This is good to know as I have a little play in mine after 101000 miles. I need to check with my dealer.

Curses, foiled again!

I went to order the locking tab and decided to get the set of thicker ones because my other side had quite a bit of play when locked. Wouldn't you know it. They are too tight. Any one want to trade a standard size for a thicker one?

I went to order the locking tab and decided to get the set of thicker ones because my other side had quite a bit of play when locked. Wouldn't you know it. They are too tight. Any one want to trade a standard size for a thicker one?

Offer still stands.

Mike,

those tabs ARE needed to properly secure the pannier to the bike....AND they come in different thicknesses to accomodate wear and variations in assembly....

i needed to add the thicker of the 5 to my bags to get a more snug fit when locked on my RT...

wyman

Hi there Wyman!

I am experiencing movement with both panniers on my '12 RT. I thought I had the part number from the Max Fiche but after talking with my dealer I am beginning to doubt it. You mention a qty of 5, like they come in a set. The only thing like that I saw was PN 46 54 7 712 002 (Set of Clamps with Bracket, qty 4, $7.50) but it sounds like that PN was superseded by PN 46 54 7 699 847 (Support, qty 2, $11.00).

Please advise.

Aloha.

Scot

PN 46 54 7 699 847 (Support, qty 2, $11.00) Two brackets, one for each side, the standard thickness, which you already have.

PN 46 54 7 712 002 (Set of Clamps with Bracket, qty 4, $7.50) Four brackets of different thicknesses. Personally, I'd buy one set and see what works best. Only buy the second set if you need two of the same thickness.

Hi there Wyman!

I am experiencing movement with both panniers on my '12 RT. I thought I had the part number from the Max Fiche but after talking with my dealer I am beginning to doubt it. You mention a qty of 5, like they come in a set. The only thing like that I saw was PN 46 54 7 712 002 (Set of Clamps with Bracket, qty 4, $7.50) but it sounds like that PN was superseded by PN 46 54 7 699 847 (Support, qty 2, $11.00).

Please advise.

Aloha.

Scot

Scot,

mike has your solution....

ride well!!!

wyman

Back