Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: feeler gauges for valve settings

feeler gauges for valve settings

Hi: I have 2009 RT and am getting together the tools to adjust my valve and was wonder where to get the proper feeler gauges for exhaust and intake valves, is it something from BMW or can it be purchased at Auto parts.Thanks Woody

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woody99 View Post
    Hi: I have 2009 RT and am getting together the tools to adjust my valve and was wonder where to get the proper feeler gauges for exhaust and intake valves, is it something from BMW or can it be purchased at Auto parts.Thanks Woody
    beemerboneyard has the tools you need....or just get two feeler gauge sets from an auto parts store

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/wurthoilhead.html

wyman
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Quote Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post
    One set will do!

Jim
    +1

Be sure to get a set that's held together with a screw, so you can pull out the individual blades.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I like the feeler gauge sets made by Hornig, available here: http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories....R-21072110.htm

I like these because they are designed as metric from the outset, so they go up in .02mm increments instead of the weird and variable increments on most sets that are marked with standard and metric numbers. Very helpful.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    I like the feeler gauge sets made by Hornig, available here: http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories....R-21072110.htm

I like these because they are designed as metric from the outset, so they go up in .02mm increments instead of the weird and variable increments on most sets that are marked with standard and metric numbers. Very helpful.
    I think I have spied a great Christmas present for myself!
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Wunderlich has the four-piece set (two of each size) for $20.

Don't forget you also need the thing to pull the coil off.

Pete
    Pete
    When life throws you a curve, lean into it. (Seen on a t-shirt at MotoGP Indy)
    '06 R1200RT, '12 F650GS, '04 K1200GT (Sold)

Oh my. Special feeler guages. After I get my special BMW motorcycle feeler guages I will then get my special BMW motorcycle screwdriver.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Oh my. Special feeler guages. After I get my special BMW motorcycle feeler guages I will then get my special BMW motorcycle screwdriver.
    Nope it is generic, just wanted to have something on my list that was affordable for the kids to get me that I can use. This fits the bill, has 21 metric blades nicely stamped gap sizes with an easy thumbscrew to get them apart into single blades. I also get to do one more maintenance thing that I never have done myself before which is nice.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post

Except for one little issue. This set has a .14mm and a .16mm blade, but does not have a .15mm blade which is the intake valve specification on R1100 and R1150 bikes we own. I can get closer with my .006" blade being .1524mm.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Except for one little issue. This set has a .14mm and a .16mm blade, but does not have a .15mm blade which is the intake valve specification on R1100 and R1150 bikes we own. I can get closer with my .006" blade being .1524mm.
    Well, not all sets are going to be best for all engines. I was very happy using them with my wethead.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

Paul - time to contact the mothership.. your bike was shipped with a special BMW motorcycle screwdriver. It's sitting there all lonely in the minimalist current model toolkits (and.. and.. AND... A N D . . . the blade reverses in the handle giving you Philips and flat screwdrivers all in one tool - and there is a T25 Torx bit that also plugs into it. A virtual toolbox in a single tool!)

BTW - that isn't THAT far fetched - if you ever wrenched on Japanese bikes from the 70's you'd find that the metric philips heads used (made out of solidified cheese) WERE a slightly different shape then a US philips bit. Combined with the soft metal, this was a recipe for learning how to remove stripped-head bolts.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    BTW - that isn't THAT far fetched - if you ever wrenched on Japanese bikes from the 70's you'd find that the metric philips heads used (made out of solidified cheese) WERE a slightly different shape then a US philips bit. Combined with the soft metal, this was a recipe for learning how to remove stripped-head bolts.
    I still have the impact driver that I rode my bicycle to purchase so I could work on my Honda(s).

Kinda a "must have" even nowadays.
    OM
    Last edited by Omega Man; 11-14-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: manually correct auto correct
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Still have the one I bought with my paper route money to break apart my first Honda 90 as well...and still sees use, especially on old Hondas

But back to the feeler gauges, I use the color coded ones 'cause I can't read the little a$$ numbers on my many loose ones w/out my glasses, which I can't find half the time. TEHO
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Paul - time to contact the mothership.. your bike was shipped with a special BMW motorcycle screwdriver. It's sitting there all lonely in the minimalist current model toolkits (and.. and.. AND... A N D . . . the blade reverses in the handle giving you Philips and flat screwdrivers all in one tool - and there is a T25 Torx bit that also plugs into it. A virtual toolbox in a single tool!)

the Japanese bikes STILL use JIS fasteners....you can buy JIS screwdrivers at McMaster-Carr.....

and i ALWAYS thought any reasonable shade tree motorcycle mechanic had an impact driver for the "cheesy" fasteners......
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic