• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new R1200RS

CANADIANSTEVE

Go Leafs Go
Well I test rode one ... and when I got back to the dealer lot I sat there and said to myself " if I bought this bike, and was pulling out of the lot to go home with it right now, would I be excited ? ". Well the answer was no ... I wanted to like it but it just didn't do anything for me ... perhaps the bare R with windshield and bags would be more to my liking ? I am very used to my 24 year old R100RS so am used to a classic feel ... hard to replicate I think !!!

Well I test rode one ... and when I got back to the dealer lot I sat there and said to myself " if I bought this bike, and was pulling out of the lot to go home with it right now, would I be excited ? ". Well the answer was no ... I wanted to like it but it just didn't do anything for me ... perhaps the bare R with windshield and bags would be more to my liking ? I am very used to my 24 year old R100RS so am used to a classic feel ... hard to replicate I think !!!

I too prefer the new R1200R to the RS model. Just seems to "feel more right" to me somehow. The R does sit a tad more upright than the RS, and also seems to feel lighter and more flickable to me. None of this can be quantified, but were I to buy one it would be the R model.

It is clear the new R1200RS is not the bike for every one. What bike is? That is why BMW and all the other Manufactures offer so many models.

Having owned an R100RT, which was quite similar to the R100RS, I can say there are huge differences. Good or bad is a matter of personal preference.

I preorder the new R1200RS after sitting on one a a motorcycle show. I like brisk riding and long distance touring. For me the new generations of the RT had gotten to big, to bulbous, and the GS are just too tall and top heavy. The new R1200RS answered my needs.
All the benefits of the new wet head engine, the new suspension and electronics with a fixed adequate fairing. That is why I bought one.

But like most BMW owners, I have tailored my RS to best suit my needs, lower foot pegs to unfold older knees, bar risers to sit up a bit straighter, and a bit wider wind screen. 9000 miles and loving it.

... But like most BMW owners, I have tailored my RS to best suit my needs, lower foot pegs to unfold older knees, bar risers to sit up a bit straighter, and a bit wider wind screen ...

I admit I am not like most BMW riders, but I have not modified the ergonomics of any of my bikes; never modified the pegs, the seat, the bars, no risers, and although I have experimented from time with a taller/lower windshield, I have always gone back to the original as the best one for me. My bike-purchasing approach is to find the bike that fits me the best from the factory, and then I simply get used to whatever small adjustments needed for my body to ride comfortably. This has worked well for me on six or seven bikes, nearly 200,000 miles and all lower 48 at least three times on three different bikes. If it were up to me, most after-market companies would go broke.

I'm in the same boat.........Really wanted to like it.

More annoyances than charms....

I'm in the same boat.........Really wanted to like it.

More annoyances than charms....

When I read that, I had to laugh....really hit home
That's sums up how I felt about my departed '14 RT, and feel about my current '15 GS.

Last edited:
It is clear the new R1200RS is not the bike for every one. What bike is? That is why BMW and all the other Manufactures offer so many models.

Having owned an R100RT, which was quite similar to the R100RS, I can say there are huge differences. Good or bad is a matter of personal preference.

I preorder the new R1200RS after sitting on one a a motorcycle show. I like brisk riding and long distance touring. For me the new generations of the RT had gotten to big, to bulbous, and the GS are just too tall and top heavy. The new R1200RS answered my needs.
All the benefits of the new wet head engine, the new suspension and electronics with a fixed adequate fairing. That is why I bought one.

But like most BMW owners, I have tailored my RS to best suit my needs, lower foot pegs to unfold older knees, bar risers to sit up a bit straighter, and a bit wider wind screen. 9000 miles and loving it.

I couldn't have said it better my self....I did the same except lowering the foot pegs...9K miles and loving it as well.:thumb

Ive got 8000 km on my RS and the only thing I've changed is to add an outlet on the right side for my electric jacket. It's a stunning bike, so much fun to ride, so composed over bumps, so agile yet steady in the corners. Definitely the best bike BMW makes - for me.

R1200R > R1200RS for me

after grieving for a dead '00 R1100RS for too long, i was all ready to go get the '16 R1200RS. but after riding them both, i brought the naked R1200R home.

still early days, but i am in pretty deep love. i thought i'd miss the RS's narrower bars and tucked stance, but I'm even starting to like the wider bars leverage. i will need to put some bigger fairing on it (it came with BMW's smaller one).

i wish i could get the R1200R in the same gray paint (mine is the red/white/black), but the rest of the RS plastic & weight just did not add anything for me.

after grieving for a dead '00 R1100RS for too long, i was all ready to go get the '16 R1200RS. but after riding them both, i brought the naked R1200R home.

still early days, but i am in pretty deep love. i thought i'd miss the RS's narrower bars and tucked stance, but I'm even starting to like the wider bars leverage. i will need to put some bigger fairing on it (it came with BMW's smaller one).

i wish i could get the R1200R in the same gray paint (mine is the red/white/black), but the rest of the RS plastic & weight just did not add anything for me.

Check out Parabellum windshield for fairing.:wave

I got my RS back in June - haven't changed the ergos at all and I love it to bits. It is uncannily stable and precise in turns, the seat's the right height, the engine is about perfect, the dynamic suspension is amazingly comfortable compared to my '09 RT, the riding position suits me. Sure there are a few niggles - the revcounter and speedo should have been reversed, the power outlet is on the wrong side, the navigator position isn't ideal. But what bike is perfect? I found the K1600 too much, the R1200RT too porky, the GS too tall, the K1300 too unwieldy, the 800's too small. It's just a matter of what you like - and I LOVE the RS!

I've not ridden an R1200R or RS but just looking them over and sitting on them I believe it would be the RS for me. It's fairing is beautifully styled and a nice size not too big, and only 12 pounds heavier. The slight forward reach to the bars would probably feel just right once moving. I can't help but believe I'd feel like a sail at speed on a R1200R which is probably why a lot of owners add windshields. But they're essentially the same bike get whichever one feels right.

Love my new RS. A perfect bike for me in ride height, ergonomics, power delivery, maneuverability, etc. Perfect for long hauls, or a quick commute. I'm hooked.

What options are available?

I have tailored my RS to best suit my needs, lower foot pegs to unfold older knees, bar risers to sit up a bit straighter, and a bit wider wind screen. 9000 miles and loving it.
I pick up my new RS next weekend and of course am already shopping for farkles. I'll spend some time on it first before messing with the ergos, it might be great the way it is, but in case I need to lower the footpegs or raise the bars a bit would you mind posting what options are available for it?

I pick up my new RS next weekend and of course am already shopping for farkles. I'll spend some time on it first before messing with the ergos, it might be great the way it is, but in case I need to lower the footpegs or raise the bars a bit would you mind posting what options are available for it?

Check out http://r1200rsforums.com/. More information than you can shake a stick at!

For me the new generations of the RT had gotten to big, to bulbous, and the GS are just too tall and top heavy. The new R1200RS answered my needs.

Thing about the old Airheads is that the market demanded the ability to carry more weight. Most Airheads used for touring these days are grossly overloaded. BMW did NOT approve top boxes on Airheads (until the '85-on models and the box is miniscule) and the weight rating for the saddlebags is pretty low. Many think the OE saddlebag mounts are weak and prone to breaking, but they'll be fine if the bags aren't overloaded.

I've looked over the new RS but haven't ridden it or actually seen the saddlebags. I did do a constant dollar price comparison with the price I paid for a new R100RS in Dec 1983, and the prices are the same ... making the new bike quite a bargain and quite an accomplishment by BMW.

Well heck Steve, what did you expect? You already have the best motorcycle ever produced.

DSC04181-M.jpg

Footpeg lowering

My dealer suggested instead of the pricey OEM footpeg lowering, I go with the highest seat, which added an inch to the ergo height. Great idea, more cushion, I feel a little less like I'm sitting "in" it, works for me. Suburban Machinery makes a much cheaper foot peg lowering kit but it interferes with the side stand.

Ergos . . .

3k on my '16 R 1200 RS without any ergo changes except adjusting the gear shifter.

Can't imagine loving it any more than I already do. For me the position feels very upright, but I am coming off a Ducati, so ymmv.

Been on short 'round towners with the guys and longer overnighters with the lady. Again, cannot imagine liking it more.

Suburban Machinery makes a much cheaper foot peg lowering kit but it interferes with the side stand.

This is not correct. I've had the Suburban Machinery lowering kit for over a year now. It does not interfere with the stock side stand.

When I added a Wonderlich "big foot" it did, but I filed the offending corner a bit and all is well now.

Back