• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Tender

bigmon70

I've been using a Battery Tender connected to my '13 RT since new. When battery is fully charged the tender light is a constant green. I came home yesterday to find the tender blinking quickly red to green, any thoughts on what may be the issue? Do Battery Tender products fail after long periods of use? Or is it time to replace the battery?

I assume the tender has a maintenance function. When it senses that the battery is fully charged the green light comes on and stays on. As the charge lessens, for whatever reason, it goes into the charging stage again and the light will reflect that.

I've used a Battery Tender Jr for about 10 years and have not experienced a failure.

I'd start by checking the connections/connectors between the tender and the battery to ensure that they are seated well and that oxidation is not causing a decreased voltage on the sensing circuits.

I use a powerlet adapter to connect my 85 K100RT via the accessory port and had one winter where light was green but the battery was not "happy". Removing and reconnecting the plug restarted the charge cycle and all has been good since then. Only now I periodically reconnect just to be proactive.

Hope that helps

I called Deltran and was told if the unit blinks red when not connected to the bike it is good to go. I'll try that and go from there. Thanks for the reply.

I actually wore one out a few years ago. Threw it out and replaced it. They work well for a long time, but, won't last forever.:thumb

Battery tender

I actually wore one out a few years ago. Threw it out and replaced it. They work well for a long time, but, won't last forever.:thumb

Follow up to my original post: The unit did fail and,fortunately, I still have the receipt from January 2013. They are warrantied for 5 years so maybe,after shipping costs, I'll get some compensation. I may replace it with the full size model or take a chance on another Junior. Thanks ,again, for your input.

Back