• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New SoCal member back to BMW with a 2009 R1200RT Biarritz Blue

rangerdog

Time to say hello. Long time rider but haven't had a BMW since I sold my R100RT to buy a new '93 Honda ST1100. I've had a dozen or so bikes since then and still have the ST1100. However, Honda stopped making a lot of parts for it and figured it was time for an update. Thought about a number of other bikes, but every time an R1200RT went by, that's what turned my head. After months of shopping and keeping an eye out, found the 2009 R1200RT with ESA, heated handgrips (a must for me), heated seats and trip computer. It was in my favorite color I've seen on an RT, Biarritz Blue and, the best part, on the ride home is when it turned 6,000 miles.

Yup, pretty much a brand new bike. It just had the 6K service and brand new tires, so it's ready to roll for awhile before I need to do anything. I got the dealership to toss in the factory tank bag, which is great because I could never bring myself to pay $350 for a tank bag!

About the only thing that doesn't look brand new are some very minor scuffs on the saddlebags. Now I'm looking for touch up paint. Any recommendations? Heck, the right shade of blue Sharpie would work for these little blemishes.

I put a Givi e193 adaptor on the rack so the Maxia case that has been serving me very well for years just snaps into place. I also just ordered a Ztechnik VStream windshield. Was between that and CalSci but a BMW dealer had a brand new VStream on ebay for $158 with lower shipping than any windshield manufacturer so I went for the deal.

Things to do:
Bar risers, maybe.
Cylinder head protection. The one thing I'll miss about the ST1100 is how you can lay it down gently and it has outriggers that result in absolutely zero damage. I love the way the cylinder heads look on the RT so will probably go with some crash bars. Wunderlich seems like the best bet between looks and price, but open to suggestion.
Seat: Haven't had a problem with the stocker, but also haven't done a long ride yet. I've loved Corbins and my Bill Meyer custom saddle on the ST. I'll wait on this unless there's a real good deal on a lightly used one to my liking around.

I'll probably sell the ST1100 but haven't yet. Still love that bike and it certainly has a different feel to it than the RT. I've rarely owned only one bike, but as I get older, I ride less and want just the one right ride. And my wife likes putting her car in the garage.

One thing I wish I could fix but doubt is possible: That LCD panel is so darn hard to read in many light conditions. Is there any way to fix or improve that?

So nice to meet you all. I'm finding searching this forum challenging so I'd appreciate anyone who points out the most useful threads for this particular bike.

Congrats on your amazing low mileage purchase, I too love that colour! Have a look under the seat but I believe the colour code is 847. I went to a local car shop that paints BMW, Mercedes etc. cars and they had no problem matching the blue perfectly when they fixed a right saddle bag gouge on mine. I didn't ask, but would hope they could spare an ounce or so for a price. As to the V-Stream - once I put mine on along with the Sergeant seat I definitely needed bar risers/backs.

Color rite has touch up pens. In fact I have a Biarritz blue touch up benefit over from my 2007 rt. Pm me an address and its yours.

Color rite has touch up pens. In fact I have a Biarritz blue touch up benefit over from my 2007 rt. Pm me an address and its yours.

Thanks much for that offer. Here are photos of the bike right after bringing it home and the scratches. The scratches aren't deep at all and a touch up should hide them easily.
A casual observer wouldn't see them, but one of us "nuts" looking for them would.

R1200RT-left-side-small.jpg
Scratches-1-2015-11-11.jpg
Scratches-2-2015-11-11.jpg

Tech Mount for phone, etc.

I also ordered one of these to mount my iPhone, mostly to use for GPS features. Curious: Anyone tried mounting one of these together with bar risers? I imagine it might require different length bolts, but that should be about it.
And if anyone knows a particular brand of bar risers that might work best, let me know. "Best" might mean having the proper thickness to use the bolts that comes with the mount.

Attachments

• Tech-Mount-BMW-center-mount.jpg
    Tech-Mount-BMW-center-mount.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 62

Thanks for the touch up pen. It matches perfectly and only those who know where to look (that would be me) would ever notice those scratches now. Really appreciate it!

Love the color!

Welcome from a returning member that used to be in your neck of the woods. OK Country!

Ranger dog
Their is a socal BMW club, they do have monthly rides
Several of us retired or semi retired riders meet up at H E L L S Kitchen on the Ortega hwy at 1130 a couple Friday's each month, we lend class to the joint, not!!!

Ranger dog
Their is a socal BMW club, they do have monthly rides
Several of us retired or semi retired riders meet up at H E L L S Kitchen on the Ortega hwy at 1130 a couple Friday's each month, we lend class to the joint, not!!!

Is this the club you're talking about: South Coast BMW Riders Club?

Someone (maybe you?) gave me a card from the at a gas station soon after I bought the bike. The calendar doesn't say anything about Friday rides though.

Back