• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 BMW MOA National location?

That is not particularly comforting info Recce.

So as an MOA member I was in Utah in October conditions were mild. When I was in Utah in desert phase ranger school in '89 it was cool at night warm in the day. I rubbed my drive on tab and it made it all right. As a motorcycle rider I personally have given up being completely comfortable to enjoy my sport/pastime. My wife who I consider somewhat delicate, will be there for a week. I fully anticipate she will be able to handle it. Of course, we do live on the sun aka lower Alabama... So there's that.

That is not particularly comforting info Recce.

At the end of the day, I think it's important to realize that motorcycle riding, and camping, are outdoor sports and will always be subject to the whims of the weather. If someone could come forward who could accurately grantee the weather for a specific location for a selected number of days two years in advance, I'm sure our Rally Site Selection Committee would be all over that. The rally site history of both the MOA and the RA is littered with sites which were supposed to be "cool" but weren't, and others feared as hot who were not. So, until that happy day of accurate future predictions, we'll have to rely on historic weather data and trust to good luck.

Salt Lake City is slightly above 4,000 feet and that can make a big difference, not withstanding big storms, a hot spell, or some other act of nature. However, it's also fair to say that we expect it to be in the high 80's or low 90's in the daytime, and about 60 at night, based on historic averages. The rally team is fully aware of this and we will be planning accordingly. We will have misters as needed, there is a relatively large amount of shade, and all the primary buildings are air conditioned, or designed for use in the local climate. We are also going to have some "water sports" to turn warm weather into an advantage - so my advise is to bring some swimming trunks, and extra towel, and a sense of humor. :dance

In August of this year, on my motorcycle ride to the Pacific, I had to backtrack a bit on I-80 (to Rock Springs, WY) due to a nasty storm blocking my path to Utah one evening. But once that passed and I entered the "Beehive State," my sight of Salt Lake City next morning was inspiring.

I spent lunch and the better part of the day there before continuing westward, as the high temps at that altitude were quite bearable, and the city friendly.

With the nearby salt flats and impressive national forests south and southeast of SLC, I suspect it will be a memorable location for a Rally. :thumb

Weather or not, there WILL be weather!

At the end of the day, I think it's important to realize that motorcycle riding, and camping, are outdoor sports and will always be subject to the whims of the weather. If someone could come forward who could accurately grantee the weather for a specific location for a selected number of days two years in advance, I'm sure our Rally Site Selection Committee would be all over that. The rally site history of both the MOA and the RA is littered with sites which were supposed to be "cool" but weren't, and others feared as hot who were not. So, until that happy day of accurate future predictions, we'll have to rely on historic weather data and trust to good luck.

Salt Lake City is slightly above 4,000 feet and that can make a big difference, not withstanding big storms, a hot spell, or some other act of nature. However, it's also fair to say that we expect it to be in the high 80's or low 90's in the daytime, and about 60 at night, based on historic averages. The rally team is fully aware of this and we will be planning accordingly. We will have misters as needed, there is a relatively large amount of shade, and all the primary buildings are air conditioned, or designed for use in the local climate. We are also going to have some "water sports" to turn warm weather into an advantage - so my advise is to bring some swimming trunks, and extra towel, and a sense of humor. :dance

Right on, Greg!
:thumb

For what it's worth, I was stationed at Hill AFB about 25 years ago and can't remember any time during the 4 years we lived there that the summer heat was unbearable. Although there might have been some (rare) 100+ degree daytime highs in July, it usually cooled down rather nicely after sunset. Typically superb camping weather, as I recall. Maybe my experience and memories are skewed. Nonetheless...

Here's what I do remember: Many awesome summer rides through the Wasatch mountains and canyons with spectacular scenery, great camping, and friendly people all around. Maybe a few slightly uncomfortable days here and there, but nothing approaching the epic Bloomsburg-esque heat and humidity one sometimes encounters near the east coast in July. But then again, I don't remember any flaming cars rolling through closing ceremonies in Utah either. :doh :stick :rofl

BTW, in addition to plenty of air conditioned space, the misters are a great idea. They should work very well even if SLC gets hit with higher than average temps during the rally. There's a good reason many homes in Utah have "swamp coolers" instead of a/c.

Perhaps global warming has changed the climate over the past couple of decades, but I seriously doubt we'll be suffering from "Triple-H" (hazy, hot, and humid) weather in Salt Lake City like we have at other rally sites.

Any hot days in Utah are just a good excuse to go play in the mountains!

Looking forward to the 2017 rally!

:bar

-MTS

I'm planning to attend, so it should be hot. I've only managed to make two previous rallies, Spokane and Redmond, both of which were hot and dry. Based on that pattern, I predict Salt Lake will be hot too. Just doesn't get more scientific than that. :D

Did I mention I love the heat. :thumb

I'm planning to attend, so it should be hot. I've only managed to make two previous rallies, Spokane and Redmond, both of which were hot and dry. Based on that pattern, I predict Salt Lake will be hot too. Just doesn't get more scientific than that. :D

Did I mention I love the heat. :thumb

+1... and I am going BECAUSE it will be hot.

There is a UT state liquor store within walking distance of the rally site and they will be happy to sell you all the high-point bottled beer you'd like, including local craft brews, along with a full range of other spirits. Between that and das beer garden, if you go thirsty it will be your own doing...

:drink

Best,
DG

Seems that culture changed after the Winter Olympics a few years back, when the powers to be realized how much money there was to be made in alcohol sales.

Seems that culture changed after the Winter Olympics a few years back, when the powers to be realized how much money there was to be made in alcohol sales.

The 2002 Winter Olympics caused a lot of changes in Utah and Salt Lake City. It is very accommodating and entertaining. Just Google up Salt Lake City breweries. :dance

Back