• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are the best roads in phoenix az area?

frankrca

I am looking at smooth, technical roads with speeds of at least 55mph for the rest of the November. I tried hwy 88 but rough bumps every 5 feet (similar to speed bumps) coupled with speeds that were 25 to 45 was just too much for the s1000rr. Then off to Bush highway the surface was better BUT speeds of 35 to 45mph was just too slow. Cars in MESA have speeds that are faster.

I am looking at smooth, technical roads with speeds of at least 55mph for the rest of the November. I tried hwy 88 but rough bumps every 5 feet (similar to speed bumps) coupled with speeds that were 25 to 45 was just too much for the s1000rr. Then off to Bush highway the surface was better BUT speeds of 35 to 45mph was just too slow. Cars in MESA have speeds that are faster.

There are none. :) You have to get a ways out before the roads are good. I do like the road up to Roosevelt Dam.

I think Paul's right. You have to get out of town a ways. Not sure exactly what you're looking for but some that I like: AZ 87 up to Payson and on toward Winslow is nice. Or take 260 east from Payson toward Show Low...it's mostly 55 but some 45 and some 65 but not very challenging. Watch for cops around Heber. US 60 from Show Low to Globe goes thru Salt River Canyon. US 191 from Alpine to Morenci is a favorite for twisties. So is 89A from Prescott thru Jerome to Cottonwood. Take US 60 to Superior and take 177 and 77 to Winkleman and Globe...it's a nice ride past some copper mines. Google 'az motorcycle rides'. Problem is that it'll be snowy up in the high country pretty soon (already had some but I think it's mostly gone by now). It's a good time to ride some of the desert roads in the southern part of the state now that it's cooled down into the 80's. I don't know if any of these will really challenge your RR, tho. I'm not sure of your location...if you live around here you probably already know about these.

I think Paul's right. You have to get out of town a ways. Not sure exactly what you're looking for but some that I like: AZ 87 up to Payson and on toward Winslow is nice. Or take 260 east from Payson toward Show Low...it's mostly 55 but some 45 and some 65 but not very challenging. Watch for cops around Heber. US 60 from Show Low to Globe goes thru Salt River Canyon. US 191 from Alpine to Morenci is a favorite for twisties. So is 89A from Prescott thru Jerome to Cottonwood. Take US 60 to Superior and take 177 and 77 to Winkleman and Globe...it's a nice ride past some copper mines. Google 'az motorcycle rides'. Problem is that it'll be snowy up in the high country pretty soon (already had some but I think it's mostly gone by now). It's a good time to ride some of the desert roads in the southern part of the state now that it's cooled down into the 80's. I don't know if any of these will really challenge your RR, tho. I'm not sure of your location...if you live around here you probably already know about these.

That's pretty much it. If he wants to go down to Mount Lemon, that's a nice ride too. I like taking Lake Mary Rd down from Flag and end up home eventually in FH. Not as quick as the 17, but nicer ride.

Going out to Tortilla Flats stinks and it gets worse after that. I made the mistake of taking that road out to Roosevelt Lake on my RT. Not fun at all.

Agreed...the road to Tortilla Flat is really bad. No way I'd ride my RT from there to Roosevelt, altho the 3 or 4 miles past there that are paved are nice. It's a nice drive to the dam in a (preferably high clearance) car or truck, tho. AZ188 from Globe to where it meets 87 is a nice ride. Goes over Roosevelt Dam...well, over the bridge over the dam anyway. Not particularly challenging, tho. There's also a nicely located potty stop at the Visitor Center...something important for us old guys :).

Thanks. here are the roads I have tried with my descriptors riding a s1000rr

87 from Apache Junction to Tortilla Flats- smooth sweepers for 5 miles THEN rough surface that jars your inners and keeps the rear tire off the asphalt surface ( one 20 year old sport bike rider stopped 3 times for a kidney check then turned around) NOT WORTH THE RIDE SURFACE
177 FROM SUPERIOR TO WINKELMAN starts rough for 4miles then opens up and has a good twisty surface. As you get closer to Winkelman the road surface is rougher. WORTH A RIDE
77 FROM WINKELMAN TO GLOBE the first part is great with long sweepers and a smooth surface. Once you are on the plateau it flattens out but gets better before the junction of 70. DO NOT TURN RIGHT as it is the wrong way to Show Low
60 from Globe to about 20 miles south of Show Lo GREAT SMOOTH SURFACE long sweepers to tighter turns as you reach the Salt River Canyon. One could stay here and play for hours. There is a good clean rest station at the bridge with great picnic facilities and views. I AM GOING BACK TO PLAY HERE AGAIN

My K1300GT will be ready next week ( shock rebuilds) so I will try the above roads and more with a bike with a more forgiving suspension.
RIDE TIME IS BEST from 10am to around 4:30 4:30 till 5:40 the sun stirkes you in the eyes and the shadow areas are hard to see the road when you are going in and out of the sun zones. After 5:40 better riding on the flats home to Mesa. Therefore eat light all day till supper and fuel for the bike at 4:30 till 5:40.
Please add any hints eg heated gear set up for the upcoming lower temperatures

I like to ride in the morning. After living in Iowa for 9 years, it's not cold here, ever, so mornings in December and January are a good time for me to ride.

87 from Apache Junction to Tortilla Flats- smooth sweepers for 5 miles THEN rough surface that jars your inners and keeps the rear tire off the asphalt surface ( one 20 year old sport bike rider stopped 3 times for a kidney check then turned around) NOT WORTH THE RIDE SURFACE

I had forgotton how rough that road is past Tortilla Flats. That is where the side case jumped off my F650 as I was braking into a curve. It is quite a surprise when you see your own sidecase pass you as it slides on the pavement.

That occasioned: note to self, replace the City Case sidecases with Jesse luggage as soon as we get home. :)

And to think I took my RT down that road to the dam. It was an ego thing. I was with a guy that was riding a Nomad and if he could do it with a cruiser, I should be able to do it with a BMW. The funny thing was a couple around 60 years old flew by us on Honda CR250s like we were standing still. If I had a GSA, I'd have been a lot better off.

And to think I took my RT down that road to the dam. It was an ego thing. I was with a guy that was riding a Nomad and if he could do it with a cruiser, I should be able to do it with a BMW. The funny thing was a couple around 60 years old flew by us on Honda CR250s like we were standing still. If I had a GSA, I'd have been a lot better off.

Voni and I rode our Airheads (R80G/S and R80ST) and later our F650s out to the dam and back several times. I particularly "liked" the downhill direction on Fish Creek Hill. I would not particularly like to do it on one of todays big bikes - the middleweights we did it on were big enough.

Did most and the roads were great!!!

I did enjoy these roads as I was in the area for 3 weeks. Thanks

MT Lemmon is great.

That's pretty much it. If he wants to go down to Mount Lemon, that's a nice ride too. I like taking Lake Mary Rd down from Flag and end up home eventually in FH. Not as quick as the 17, but nicer ride.

Arlene and I did this 2 up on the K1300gt and it was a blast. The police have a sign up where the radar will be otherwise it was wide open to enjoy. Snow at the ski resort on the side of the road otherwise perfect. Cars would pull to the side most of the time to allow us to go quick! thanks for the heads up to this road.

Arlene and I did this 2 up on the K1300gt and it was a blast. The police have a sign up where the radar will be otherwise it was wide open to enjoy. Snow at the ski resort on the side of the road otherwise perfect. Cars would pull to the side most of the time to allow us to go quick! thanks for the heads up to this road.

You know folks this time of year love pictures 'cause without pics, it didn't happen:whistle

What time of year you make the run?

Question about 191, do they maintain it during winter around Hannigan Meadows?

Have passed early in Spring with snowdrifts still close to road:dunno

Back