• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1987 K75C 19K Front brake rotor replacement question

pjar

PeteG
My virgin attempt at replacing front brake rotors and am currently reviewing the procedure which seems pretty straightforward.

Clymer instructions state in several places that rotor mounting nuts are on the right side and allen bolt heads are on the left side.

My 1988 and 1987 K75Cs have the exact opposite (bolts going in on the right and nuts on the left). Looking at K75Cs on Google images also shows bolts on right side and nuts on left.

I guess my question is two part; Does it matter which side bolts and nuts go? Is this just a Clymer mistake?

I'm getting new nuts and noticed that they changed style from self-locking nyloc nuts to deformed or distorted thread nuts. I'm assuming the distorted thread nuts will not destroy the bolt threads since there is no warning in the parts fiche.

Thanks in advance,
pete

Just as an update.

One of my rotors was badly distorted with over .030" run-out. I had a low speed run-off-road event that flipped me off the bike. The only damage was to the side case which cracked and has since been patched. I was unharmed (except for my pride because of faulty situational bias decision making). I didn't notice any brake pulsing after getting on my way from the "event". The pulsing was noticed a few months later and the run-out was only on the right front rotor.

Installed two used rotors (.166" thickness) with new distorted nuts torqued to spec. Spun the wheel without calipers and couldn't see any run-out.

Brakes performed perfectly on my test run. I will remain cautious until pads are broken in.

I had reservations about buying used rotors but it appears to be unfounded. Cost was $200 for a pair.

Thanks again Lee for the input and getting me over the hump to feel comfortable taking on the task.

pete

Back