• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BestRest CyclePump 12v Adventure Motorcycle Air Compressor Review

noob75

So I felt I had to write a review on this product. I purchased the air compressor a few weeks ago. After getting it it seemed like a well built pump. So I decided to try to inflate my rear tire on my 2013 1200 GSW and it worked fine. So this is the problem that I had when I tried to inflate my front tire, I wanted to make sure it worked on both before I was stuck out in the middle of no where and get a flat tire and not be able to fix the flat.

So I discover that the chuck that is part of the air hose is just to long to fit over the air stem. So I contacted BestRest Products and they suggested that I purchase their 90 degree value stem adapter at a cost of about $9.00 dollars, so I purchase it. It shows up in the mail and I try to fit it on my the front tire value stem well it doesn't sit correctly and causes all the air to leak out of the tire. I even tried to use a pair of pillars to tighten it down further with no luck. So I believe that the issue is that the value stem threads are just not deep enough for it to fit tight enough to keep air from leaking out. So I tried to use it on my car tire, well it did let some air out while I was tightening it down but it did seal correctly.

value-stem-90.jpg

So in conclusion their is nothing wrong with the quality of the pump, but if you have the same rims that I have on my bike you will not be able to pump up your front tire with the current setup that BestRest is selling. I have to admit I am pretty frustrated and not sure what to do next. Has anyone else had this same issue? What air compressor do you carry with you on your bike in case you get a flat?

Thanks.

What air compressor do you carry with you on your bike in case you get a flat?

I took the guts out of a $10 Walmart pump and use it on day trips.
I have a K1300S.
IMG_0093.jpg

On trips I use a Slime pump. The one I have usually sells for $30.
Here's the model of Slime pump I use.
2000428_700x700.jpg

Both pumps work well.

Lee thanks for the reply. Maybe if I cut the chuck off the current pump and use the same head as the slim has that would work. I was hoping if I purchased the more expensive pump I wouldn't have to worry about this kind of stuff and get something that worked and worked well. I don't mind paying more for a product, but when you have to purchase additional accessories to just be able to pump up a tire and even then it doesn't work well that is just down right frustrating. I can see I am going to have to get creative because I don't want to have to deal with returning the pump. PITA!!!

Lee thanks for the reply. Maybe if I cut the chuck off the current pump and use the same head as the slim has that would work. !!

Yep, see if you can find a right angle chuck. BestRest sells one but it's $20.

384.jpg

Yea, those won't fit it needs more clearance than the spoke wheel will allow but I did come up with a solution. Nothing a belt sander can't fix.. :) Just tested it out after grinding it down and now works great. Also the connection to the tire is much better than just using the chuck compared to the rear wheel. The tire seemed to inflate faster than the rear wheel, of course might be I was just so happy that I am now able to inflate my front tire without having to purchase one more thing.... LOL

90-stem.jpg

I have had a Best Rest pump for over 5 years and the pump it's self is very durable. I had the same problem with the chuck. It wouldn't stay in place and seemed to leak as much or more than the pump output. It sort of worked on the rear rubber valve on my 2006 RT, but the front wheel was a problem. The provided chuck would not lock onto the shallow valve threads. I had the same results with a 2011 RT and 2013 GS. I purchased an angle adapter but that was easily misplaced and was a needless extra step.

I did have an older Walmart pump with the same chuck as pictured above. It has a flip lever and uses a constricting rubber sleeve to hold on to the valve stem. I cut the valve off the old pump and cut off the brass chuck on the best rest pump. Installed the the "cheap" chuck on the Best Rest and everything works on all my bikes and cars. As long as the rubber in the chuck stays intact it is a vastly better design. After use I simply flip the lever and pull off the valve with minimum air loss. I have looked for a replacement chuck of this design and the only result was with a cheap pump attached. If you have a pump that isn't working well, don't throw it away until you cut off the lever style chuck. I don't know how long the rubber seal will last, but my chuck is 7 years old with plenty of use.

Time to do another google hunt for this chuck design:)

Straight to Hardware Store = 90 Deg Chuck

Take the straight chuck apart and go to the hardware store and buy a brass 90 deg fitting (or two fittings @ $5+- to make it up) to make it a 90 deg chuck. I did. $5 +- is a lot cheaper than $20 plus shipping.
It won't solve the short thread problem.
On that matter, if there are enough threads and it is just not seated correctly, you need to make sure it does seat correctly before you lock it on. Push on the top while locking helps. It took me a few times to learn to seat it properly and double check every time.
Charlie

You would think they would have really tested this with their chucks to make sure they fit. There is no way I would believe they tried to fit this on a BMW 1200 GS rims, otherwise they could clearly see it doesn't work. I am just happy that I got the problem resolved.

Back