• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2015: A Final Ride Report

I'm very very sorry I couldn't make this one. I've attended 5 and traveled to 7 before having to turn around for various reasons. The video and pictures are extremely well appreciated. I do truly felt I missed out! Hello to all I've met before and those I should have met!

My new friend Willow, she showed me her sea glass collection after a while ( I had to work at it). I have to remember to send her some sea glass from the Jersey shore:

View attachment 52542

Thanks Harry. I passed that picture of Willow on to her mom. I also sent along the one shown earlier in this report with the two of you (finally!) conversing over the sea glass. You certainly have patience and tenacity!

And I'll second the gentelman from Braintree's comment...

I also would have enjoyed this Fog finale! I am fortunate to have made it to a couple of Salty "expeditions".
And pretty sure I've experienced the weather that resulted in the choice of the aptly named rally!
But when you catch the perfect evening at Meat Cove, with that fire in mogu83's picture... priceless.
The sunrise will also leave a lasting impression, and goes a long way toward keeping your pillion happy!
Happy to have met so many folks, now friends... because of a wonderful idea, perfectly executed by a great couple.
Thank You, Mary & Bob... for the memories.

"travel'n" John & Dara

I'm very very sorry I couldn't make this one. I've attended 5 and traveled to 7 before having to turn around for various reasons. The video and pictures are extremely well appreciated. I do truly felt I missed out! Hello to all I've met before and those I should have met!

Ah, but the nice thing is that you can always visit. You still know where your room is eh?:thumb

I also would have enjoyed this Fog finale! I am fortunate to have made it to a couple of Salty "expeditions".
And pretty sure I've experienced the weather that resulted in the choice of the aptly named rally!
But when you catch the perfect evening at Meat Cove, with that fire in mogu83's picture... priceless.
The sunrise will also leave a lasting impression, and goes a long way toward keeping your pillion happy!
Happy to have met so many folks, now friends... because of a wonderful idea, perfectly executed by a great couple.
Thank You, Mary & Bob... for the memories.

"travel'n" John & Dara

That campfire will certainly go down as one of those iconic items in our rally...... just like that bowl (btw, we are keeping that bowl for you.... could send it...or, you could come and get it:thumb And, regarding those final kind words of yours...:blush...very nice of you to say so. See you at the MOA national in NY in July!

Ah, but the nice thing is that you can always visit. You still know where your room is eh?:thumb

Thanks, Bob, you're a remarkable host, and I will see you and Mary again. The room is in the GPS....

Last edited:
Ok, back to the report:type (now that some kind comments were made and excellent pictures provided.... more on that great campfire later!)...

After a fine supper at Fitzgerald's, we take full advantage of the cabins and a relaxing fire.

SAM_2577_zpswj3k8i3i.jpg

IMG_0147_zpsaqiouhpm.jpg

Stories and 'word wizardry' surrounded the flames that evening. Excellent discussion.

IMG_0142_zpsporzehml.jpg

Tomorrow a fun ride up Kelly's Mountain http://travelingluck.com/North+America/Canada/Nova+Scotia/_5990563_Kellys+Mountain.html, a quick ferry ride and onward to the Cabot Trail and a breakfast at the Clucking Hen http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...Shore_Cape_Breton_Island_Nova_Scotia.html:eat

Thursday morning and tonight's camp is Meat Cove for the Edge of the Earth gathering. The weather promises us fine weather for camping and fire. Again this year, we have been able to reserve space directly in front of the Chowder Hut and next to the cliff. However, coffee is the unanimous prize sought this morning at the Clucking Hen Cafe on the Cabot Trail. Mary's ready for that coffee ("what? No Bailey's?:banghead)

SAM_2580_zpskakyi6pv.jpg

But first, a rapid ascent on the withering snake of a road on Kelly's Mountain.

Kellys%20Mountain%20Sign_zpsbcxd2r5d.jpg

Enjoying the early morning ride into the sky, we coasted down the other side. One piece of advice by one tourism writer cautioned that..."Travelers should be aware of a sharp hairpin turn at the foot of the eastern end of the mountain that switches back greater than 180 degrees after a steep descent." Oh yeah! :dance

The cable ferry at Englishtown quickly pulls us across the narrow but rapidly moving waters.

SAM_2588_zpsutgsv8bo.jpg

IMG_0179_zps7qekcfg2.jpg

IMG_0181_zpspythhhvz.jpg

Coffee and fine food await at the Clucking Hen Cafe...

IMG_2679_zps0vsh1m8i.jpg

SAM_2593_zps3tzi1qmr.jpg

Traveling on into the Cape Breton Highlands National Park we stop at one major scenic turn-off for our traditional Group On The Rocks picture

SAM_2625_zpss9pp3e92.jpg

Back on the road and enjoying the ascending twists and turns of Cape Smokey in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.
All is going fine until half way up we grind behind a loaded truck. Not much opportunity for passing lanes.

SAM_2610_zpsoqaazmdy.jpg

SAM_2612_zpsm2ep6xrm.jpg

SAM_2606_zpsqnhpldek.jpg

NEXT: The more adventuresome path to Meat Cove....and the edge of the earth.

This is where we are heading. After a stop at the co-op in Neil's Harbour for some snacks and adult beverages, we ride north toward Meat Cove. When the tar ends bare earth leads the way... downhill to the edge. This is a map of the path from Louisbourg to KOA in N. Sydney to Meat Cove. Today is Thursday.

DayThree.jpg

P1010448.jpg

Double yellow; two can pass. :D

ya, it can be done but it sure would be handy to have mirrors on the turns to peek around the corners :nod. There was more 'dynamic' action that did happen regarding that truck but it's not my place to be the story teller on that one. Yes, there was a 'pucker moment' for one bike in our group but, being the leader, it did not seem appropriate or prudent for me to initiate a group pass under those conditions. We did, finally, get a short double lane whereby we all could pass safely :thumb - Bob

Into Meat Cove (three archive pictures from Paul and Shorti 2013)...

PaulandShorti18_zpsd9152086.jpg

PaulandShorti19_zps97cd653b.jpg

...and one more of Paul and Shorti's (2013) Meat Cove arrival pictures

PaulandShorti16_zps98a5fa80.jpg

Now to settle in, eat and start building that fire (that Harry posted earlier)

Great stuff, Bob and Mary. :thumb

I definitely need to get back up that way! :dance

Hope to meet you one day.

After a somewhat uncomplicated and unpaved ride down into Meat Cove, we roll in to our camping section on the edge

SAM_2643_zpsnd2m5zss.jpg

SAM_2647_zps3spugjke.jpg

SAM_2650_zps7z7hpdlw.jpg

SAM_2652_zpspshm4owh.jpg

SAM_2653_zpswzgjtdua.jpg

SAM_2657_zpsq8lrazin.jpg

NEXT: With that done, food is (again) becoming the priority

And now...the rest of the story.....and the end

With accommodations raised and pinned, the business of the ceremonial campfire unfolds as our good friends from New Jersey initiate the process with flair and enthusiasm!

SAM_2667_zpsn2d5f0u9.jpg

SAM_2668_zpsmcynwvb1.jpg

SAM_2662_zpsayfstcva.jpg

We didn't know that insect repellant had other uses...

SAM_2671_zps2c2svcyh.jpg

SAM_2664_zpsxkzgxtaw.jpg

And then?

I may be mixing the sequence of events i.e. eating and fire building but that's not particularly important. Suffice to say that a great time was obvious at both activities. So, let's let the fire smolder a bit and take in the activities at the foodfest in the Chowder Hut...and then come back to the fire...

SAM_2661_zps8pc6scvq.jpg

IMG_0195_zps7uebnwdy.jpg

SAM_2688_zpsnfsflwp6.jpg

SAM_2687_zpseuc3nf3u.jpg

What a great place to have a birthday Ken! Kathie leads the chorus to celebrate..

IMG_0202_zpsh9spuaqs.jpg

4061299a-168d-4d9d-963d-3aa49c3da325_zps5yews2qk.jpg

Back to the fire... :lurk

Back