• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RT - Anyone Ever Use the Side Case Extra Large Lids?

detbmw

I'm interested in trying a set of the extra large lids for the side cases as seen here at Bob's. Has anyone here used them? What did you think?

I'd love to find a pair for less than the nearly $200 a piece they sell for new.

I travel two up and I have been using them for years. The biggest problem that I have is clearing them when swinging my leg over the bike to get on. I bought a set of quick change hinges so that I could change the lids for the standard ones easily. It's not that hard to change but I just got to where I just leave the large lids on all the time.

I have them and really like the extra space. Be careful lane splitting tho' :whistle

Boot comment is valid as well.

They come up time to time on the IBMWR and ADV - keep and eye out. $1-150 a set is what I paid for 2 sets.

I have them and really like the extra space. Be careful lane splitting tho' :whistle

Boot comment is valid as well.

They come up time to time on the IBMWR and ADV - keep and eye out. $1-150 a set is what I paid for 2 sets.

How much wider overall do they make the motorcycle ?

I have considered a set myself.

In addition to them being wider they also do not have the slope like the regular lids have on the top. The top is flatter.

In addition to them being wider they also do not have the slope like the regular lids have on the top. The top is flatter.

Need to think about that....it's hard enough sometimes to throw a leg over w/out kicking the right bag as it is.

Size/slope comparison

here

Attachments

• IMGP3599_resize.jpg
    IMGP3599_resize.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMGP3597_resize.jpg
    IMGP3597_resize.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 210
My Disappointment with the Touring Lids

I've had the larger touring lids ever since buying my '98 R1100RT in 2009. Bought them new. The extra space is very convenient and with my 28" inseam and Russell seat, I usually do not hit the panniers with my boots. Of course this requires a concentrated effort to kick my leg high. I do have boot scuffs attesting to my occasional lack of foresight. :banghead

These panniers should come with a cautionary warning. When opening the lids (even when empty), one must lower them with either a hand or a knee. They must not go into free fall. Once I forgot to gently lower an empty lid and the inner plastic bracket where the strap attaches snapped off. I had very limited success with JB Weld (zero actually) and slightly more success reattaching the piece with PVC glue. This repair lasted for awhile but was limited. For a while I did tour with no lowering straps until I found a set of replacement lids from a rider who had damaged his exactly in the same manner that I had. Fortunately the lid I needed was not damaged. :thumb

Three years ago I took both lids to a body shop and they put some magic reinforcement stuff around these brackets. Last spring I once again failed to properly lower a lid and fortunately the body shop work held. :bow

As much as I appreciate the additional luggage space, if I should ever have these lids damaged again, I will simply put the original lids back on the panniers. The plastic brackets that hold the straps are simply poorly constructed since they will snap off from the weight of the lids. :bluduh

Back