• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

S1000s?

Would you be interested in a S1000S to replace the K13S?

• Total voters

RYD1WD

Just a personal curiosity:

With the end coming for the K1300S (limited final production for MY'16), I have visions for a contemporary (yes, I love the K13S, but it has become a bit dated) interpretation of it's concept being revitalized on the 160 HP S1000 platform. I'm curious how this community would react to such an offering?

If it has a driveshaft and hard bags I would be very interested.
The XR fells too big to me.

If it has a driveshaft and hard bags I would be very interested.
The XR fells too big to me.

Too big or too tall? There is a low suspension option... I tested it in VA in August, you still run out of tire before you run out of clearance, and with a lower COG... Liked it a lot, enough to buy one if I could get away with it.

My gut tells me there won't be a shaft drive implementation on that mill, at least not anytime soon. I'm not sure the current design is conducive to it even if there were other significantly compelling reasons.

K16S would be pretty sweet as a replacement. Would think that engine would be used for more than the GT /GTL.

The XR intersts me, but we only have one motorized chain drive, F650 thumper, in the fleet and a little biased to shaft drives now.

Too big or too tall? There is a low suspension option... I tested it in VA in August, you still run out of tire before you run out of clearance, and with a lower COG... Liked it a lot, enough to buy one if I could get away with it.

My gut tells me there won't be a shaft drive implementation on that mill, at least not anytime soon. I'm not sure the current design is conducive to it even if there were other significantly compelling reasons.

When sitting on the XR it just felt massive. A lot of that had to do with the looks of the gas tank cover. After sitting on it at a shop I didn't bother asking for a test ride. Also I'm not a fan of bikes styled like an adventure bike, but is intended for street use.
I think you're right about the chain drive. If BMW comes out with a S1000S or S1000RS it would make more sense for them to keep it a chain drive.
But, I can always wish :)

Our next bikes may be a R1200RS or R1200R, but we're both worried about losing 50 HP. We don't have to have 175 HP, but it sure is fun at times.

When sitting on the XR it just felt massive. A lot of that had to do with the looks of the gas tank cover. After sitting on it at a shop I didn't bother asking for a test ride. Also I'm not a fan of bikes styled like an adventure bike, but is intended for street use.
I think you're right about the chain drive. If BMW comes out with a S1000S or S1000RS it would make more sense for them to keep it a chain drive.
But, I can always wish :)

Our next bikes may be a R1200RS or R1200R, but we're both worried about losing 50 HP. We don't have to have 175 HP, but it sure is fun at times.

The new R and RS are two of the finest bikes I have ever ridden (currently living on my R demo), and make 125 HP in a way that shouldn't leave you wanting much if you are relatively sane on the street... their power to weight ratio is better than the K16, and OH SO MUCH MORE flickable :)

I had a K1200s, not a 1300, but I do miss it and would be very interested in adding one to my garage. The XR is cool but it is not the same thing at all. The K1300s was an elegant brute and with updating, I think it would be a sensation in the market. It would with me anyway.

I had a K1200s, not a 1300, but I do miss it and would be very interested in adding one to my garage. The XR is cool but it is not the same thing at all. The K1300s was an elegant brute and with updating, I think it would be a sensation in the market. It would with me anyway.

I hear ya, one of a few that I will wish that I had owned but never did, but have also kind of fallen off with due to the S platform offerings fitting me a bit better. From a manufacturing standpoint I'm honestly surprised it has been continued this long as the sole build on the K13 platform. I have a black '15 I will go to unusual lengths to find a new home should anyone be interested, BMW has put $1,750 on the tank this month.

K1300s > s1000s

I have a 2009 K1300S that I bought after having ridden a variety of bikes in BMW's stable at the time. I've put nearly 21,000 miles on it (not much compared to many here) and have enjoyed every last one. Like others, I have ridden other modern BMWs including the S1000RR, S1000XR, R1200GS and many more. And after every ride, I get on my K and realize that there just isn't any other bike that provides the same combination of raw power, refinement, style, comfort and features as the 1300S. I've done 550 mile days with relative ease and covered 2,100 miles in 4 1/2 days without requiring a chiropractor. I've enjoyed all the other BMW's that I've ridden but none delivers the goods like the K1300S so, yes, I would like to see BMW provide a spiritual successor to that bike because there isn't anything that they offer right now that fits the bill.

Kent

I have a 2009 K1300S that I bought after having ridden a variety of bikes in BMW's stable at the time. I've put nearly 21,000 miles on it (not much compared to many here) and have enjoyed every last one. Like others, I have ridden other modern BMWs including the S1000RR, S1000XR, R1200GS and many more. And after every ride, I get on my K and realize that there just isn't any other bike that provides the same combination of raw power, refinement, style, comfort and features as the 1300S. I've done 550 mile days with relative ease and covered 2,100 miles in 4 1/2 days without requiring a chiropractor. I've enjoyed all the other BMW's that I've ridden but none delivers the goods like the K1300S so, yes, I would like to see BMW provide a spiritual successor to that bike because there isn't anything that they offer right now that fits the bill.

Kent

I agree, the K13S has a character and charm that is unique and very appealing to me, in an old school way. That said, it has become a bit dated in several key areas (User Definable Ride Modes, Dynamic ESA/Damping, Dynamic Traction Control, ABS Pro, Shift Assist Pro) that have allowed the newer models to surpass it in regards to overall performance and safety. If they can build a new model in the spirit of the K13S, on the S1000R platform, it will sacrifice a little (factoring power/weight if they can keep it under 500 lb wet) of the raw grunt that 30% more displacement is able to produce. In return, it'll offer far superior safety and overall performance package between your butt and contact patches. The tech is trickling down from the RR development, and there is simply no other high performance motorcycle made today that is harder to run out of skill with - I've tried during BMW testing at VIR, and failed! If BMW produces a more traditional S-T model on the S1000R platform, it's quite unlikely that I won't own one. It'll probably triple my annual tire costs, and be worth EVERY penny! :thumb

I am on the far end of the spectrum as I've never owned or rode a k1300. I did go from a 2010 kawasaki concours to the XR as I wanted to down size for trailering.

I've toured and rode many a good roads in NC, TN, GA with the XR and could not be happier.

Back