• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Did you fill up your RT or GS positioned on the side stand or the center stand?

Do you fill your bike well it is positioned on the side stand, or center stand?

• Center stand

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Side stand

Votes: 56 61.5%

• Total voters

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
I have a 2008 RT, and I normally fill up by putting my motorcycle on the center stand. While doing that today, I was wondering whether or not I would get more gas and if it was on the side or the center stand. How do you feel up yours?

I have a 2008 RT, and I normally fill up by putting my motorcycle on the center stand. While doing that today, I was wondering whether or not I would get more gas and if it was on the side or the center stand. How do you feel up yours?

Can't fix spelling on polling question, I bet you "feel" your bike in all positions, so go with the intent, "feel = fill", in this case :wave

Side stand for me and my '09RT. Then peek inside to make sure its filled to just under the bottom edge of the red plastic tube. That's full for me, otherwise pump clicks off at less than a full tank.

What centerstand:scratch...on three bikes, there is no choice for us :D

Since my riding companion is on a 5 gallon bike , I use sidestand on GSA, was same on the RT. Rare day to put any on a centerstand for us. Do try to get max fuel in some situations west of the Big Muddy as fuel opportunities sometimes are far apart for the 5 gallon bikes range if not topped off.

To answer your question, filling on the center stand allows a bit more fuel into the tank.

i drilled a couple of 1/4" holes about 1/2" from the top of the red neck thingy on the right hand side....no need to put the bike on the centerstand to get a "full" full...:)

If you want to know the volume difference there are two approaches. One is to fill it on the sidestand and then put it on the centerstand and see how much more fuel can be added. This is the preferred method.

The other is to fill it on the centerstand and then put it on the sidestand after failing to properly close the cap. This allows you to see how much gas spills out, but is not the preferred method. :)

Some of us have probably tried both methods.

Centerstands are for maintenance only.

Correcting an empty gas tank situation is maintenance.

I've done both, but it's hard to imagine the difference is enough to make a difference, unless like henzilla said you're in a place where you really have to maximize the range.

The other is to fill it on the centerstand and then put it on the sidestand after failing to properly close the cap. This allows you to see how much gas spills out, but is not the preferred method. :)

I tried this, but I had a terrible time collecting it to measure the difference.

Pete

FWIW: Formerly when I was on a long ride ('09 RT) I'd fill way up into the neck (the "red neck thingy" as Wyman so eloquently described it) to try to get myself a bit of a cushion until the next fill. I found that I could get about another half gallon or so into the tank after the pump clicked off.

Recently I've just been filling up to the bottom of the neck, not up into the neck. I've noticed that the fuel sensor strip seems to behave more consistently with this approach. Before the fuel gauge would often indicate anywhere from 250 miles range at full to 350 miles range at full when I filled into the neck. It often got partway there and held, not accounting for fuel burned. Since I've been filling only to the bottom of the neck it seems to have stabilized right about 320 miles at full and counts down in accordance with miles traveled. This seems to be pretty close to theoretical true - 7.1 gal x 46 mpg = 327 miles. But that means that 0 miles means empty, not 0 miles means the start of the one gallon reserve.

Regardless, after four failed fuel strips, I still fill by miles ridden per the trip meter, not by what the fuel gauge says. I typically fill at about 260-270 miles into the tank, and put around 6 gallons in. Again, consistent with ~320 miles range on a full tank.

And I do it on the centerstand, partially because I have to pull the tank bag off, and if I do it on the side stand and put the tank bag on the saddle, the tank bag falls onto the ground.

JayJay

I find I can get a little more in when the bike is upright on the centerstand. I don't bother and actually watch out for a "filled to the brim" condition unless I was headed back on the road. An "over-fill/max-fill on a hot day can foul up the venting system.
YMMV
OM

Neither. I don't get off of the bike when gassing up. Is this odd? I see guys on cruisers off their bikes all the time, but I figured that was so they could polish the chrome if they see a smudge. :hide

At my age, it is a mute point

'Cause I'm gonna have to stop and get off well before the tank is empty regardless of which way I filled it.

Ya'll can surely figure out why...

Regards,

Marty

Neither. I don't get off of the bike when gassing up. Is this odd? I see guys on cruisers off their bikes all the time, but I figured that was so they could polish the chrome if they see a smudge. :hide

Two times filling the tank while sitting on the bike the pump would not shut off. I gave up that practice years ago.

If you want to know the volume difference there are two approaches. One is to fill it on the sidestand and then put it on the centerstand and see how much more fuel can be added. This is the preferred method.

Some of us have probably tried both methods.

You are too funny! And good idea, I will give it a go. I will also try the fill only to the bottom of the vent tube and see what that does for overall mileage. Right now I squeeze in as much as possible at every fill.

Back