• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning Stained Aerostich Yellow Jacket

exgman

I have followed the directions for washing my Aerostich Darien Jacket, using NikWax Tech Wash. I still have some significant staining (despite pre-treating with the NikWax, and wonder if anyone has had any luck with any product? I looked at the Gore-Tex website which does not recommend stain-remover solutions.

I'll use some Revivex spray to attempt to make the jacket as waterproof as possible, but was hoping to clean up some of the stains accumulated in the last few years before I did that.

You could try a spot-treat with Cascade dishwasher product. Gore-tex is kind of iffy new.....IMO, GT gets more iffy with cleaning.
OM

DAWN dishwashing liquid gives good results to heavy stains on riding gear
Wet the stained area with water and apply dawn directly to stained area. I usually let it soak for a couple hours then into the wash with the rest of my clothes

Cleaning Aerostich

I have followed the directions for washing my Aerostich Darien Jacket, using NikWax Tech Wash. I still have some significant staining (despite pre-treating with the NikWax, and wonder if anyone has had any luck with any product? I looked at the Gore-Tex website which does not recommend stain-remover solutions.

I'll use some Revivex spray to attempt to make the jacket as waterproof as possible, but was hoping to clean up some of the stains accumulated in the last few years before I did that.

Have you called the customer service people at Aerostich to get their thoughts on the matter? I think I might trust THEIR feedback about THEIR garment before soliciting advice from the great unwashed. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, had to come clean. OK, OK I'll stop now.

:dunno

Friedle

Have you called the customer service people at Aerostich to get their thoughts on the matter? I think I might trust THEIR feedback about THEIR garment before soliciting advice from the great unwashed. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, had to come clean. OK, OK I'll stop now.

Friedle

Aerostich has an extensive description of how to wash their garments on their website, which I have explicitly followed twice. The stains keep increasing and spreading, and following their directions is resulting in no improvement.

Aerostich has an extensive description of how to wash their garments on their website, which I have explicitly followed twice. The stains keep increasing and spreading, and following their directions is resulting in no improvement.

You could always send it back to them for cleaning.

stained stich

Or CALL them and speak to a PERSON who might be able to present more informed options than just the set of instructions on a website if it really matters to you. Can't hurt to call, might clean up your mess. Stop it, stop it, you're killing me !!:wave

Friedle
riding around in a semi Hi Vis Stich

From the Goretex site:

Before laundering, saturate stained areas with an aerosol pre-wash treatment (Spray & Wash® , Shout® , etc.)
Wash immediately, in warm water with liquid detergent. You may have to repeat this procedure for heavily stained garments.
Tumble dry, medium heat.
Touch up with a warm iron.
For stubborn stains (chair lift grease, tree sap), consult a dry cleaner or call Gore Customer Service at 1-800-431-GORE.

i have seen dozens of riders in the Aerostich HiViz gear. Except for one or two whose gear was new, I have never seen a HyViz suit or jacket look clean. Expecting otherwise seems to me to be a fools errand. Smile upon it proudly, as it imparts street cred. :)

While not Aerostich, Annie has two Olympia HiViz jackets. Both have always been stained since the first months of riding. At the rally she bought a replacement.... a white Klim. Guess how that looks after several thousand miles. Meanwhile, my gray Darien and gray Olympia still look, well, gray.

Cleaning Aerostich YellowJacket

Use Oxi Clean and problem is resolved. I have used this on 3 soiled jackets and it works. 3 scoops and medium hot water, sometimes go through 3 completes cycle and it will look like new.

Use Oxi Clean and problem is resolved. I have used this on 3 soiled jackets and it works. 3 scoops and medium hot water, sometimes go through 3 completes cycle and it will look like new.
Welcome to the forum Chet!
Gary

...wonder if anyone has had any luck with any product?

I have used Shout for almost as long as I have had an Aerostich...since 1992. It is cheap and effective. Other than the usual fading due to the sun, even after 10 years, my red Roadcrafter looks like new.

I looked at the Gore-Tex website which does not recommend stain-remover solutions.

When I checked years ago, Gore-Tex recommended against wash-in treatments.

Friedle

It’s really not RocketSurgery. Mild detergent on a quality synthetic fabric (NO solvents) and elbow grease with diligence and attention to scrub-out/massage-out the stain with a thorough rinse and a lay flat air dry. Repeat as needed. Not so scary. I remain, d

Thanks Altapowder - I was the OP four years ago. I have moved on from that jacket. Aerostich has extensive product-care guidelines on the website.

JG

Back