• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Changing low beam bulbs on a 2008 RT??

moshaffer

Riding in the mountains a few nights ago both of my low beams went out, luckily I have low mounted lights on the forks and the high beam did keep working. The following day I removed the left hand bulb, put an OHM meter on it and it was fine so I put it back in place and it started working again. I was going to take out the right hand bulb but just couldn't get my hand into that small of a space.
I took the bike into the Asheville shop, they changed the right hand bulb that was blown and both work fine now. The mechanic thought when the right hand bulb blew the computer assumed it was a fault with that circuit and shut down the left bulb as well. He also said that cycling the switch a few times, which I did, told the computer to turn the circuit back on. Has anyone else experienced this and also some idea of how to change the right hand bulb would be a big help.

Thanks,
Mo

I have a 2008 RT and had both LB bulbs fail at the same time this year when I hit a monster hole in the pavement (that I did not see) while riding in traffic @110Kph in a deluge near Moncton NS. It sure got dark fast! Continued on as you, with high beam only. The next day prior any removal i put my GS911 on to see what was going on since i felt it suspicious that both went at once.

Diagnosis Results:
1. RH LB Short
2. LH LB Open
3. RH LB Open

So something happened that shorted out the right hand circuit and then both bulbs burned out. Was a wave of water splashing up into the back of the bulbs? Dunno, but did take it all apart to check for any sign water had been there and finding none, replaced both bulbs with spares I had fortunately brought with me since upon examination both bulbs were very much blown.

As to how to: I normally make it easy on myself by removing tupperware and the mirrors to get at everything with no drama. There are a couple of great posts in the Garage Hexheads section of this forum that go into great detail for each and every screw to remove.

IMG_1488.jpg

Thanks'

Thanks for the reply it is most appreciated. I had considered taking the Tupperware off but wasn't sure about it and thanks for the pic. also.
Mo

Thanks for the reply it is most appreciated. I had considered taking the Tupperware off but wasn't sure about it and thanks for the pic. also.
Mo

I do mine by feel. Just be careful and methodical. Turn the handlebars each way to determine which way gives you better access.

I only to remove the right side panel to do the job.

I haven't had to do it since I upgraded to HIDs (25,000 km so far...) :dance

I rode down to my son's base to visit him and arrived at night. Both low beams were working fine. The bike sat for a day and a half and when I started it to head home the left low beam was out and the warning indicator was on. Strange that it was fine and then the next startup was not. I just replaced it, didn't bother checking it waith a meter. Put a little di-electric grease on the terminals. It was the left side so it wasn't too bad.

Back