Thread: Hella turn signal switch

Hella turn signal switch

I have Hella turn signals on my are R50.

They are on the right-hand side but the problem is it seems like they are backwards… When you turn left you have to flip the switch down with your thumb .....when you turn right the switch is flipped up.

I had them on a R27 and I thought they were the other way it makes sense to me to push the switch down to go right and up to go left. Or maybe that is the way my R75/6 was. It just seems backwards.

Is it possible to reverse the switch someway......?..

Thanks for your help......Dave
    1966 R50/2 with Jawa/Velorex sidecar

easy fix for the turn signals

Dave,
    I agree, some one wired it backwards. Remove the headlight reflector out of the headlight. If they wired it in the conventional way. you will find a short two conductor terminal strip in the bucket, that connects the wires from the switch to the wires coming from each signal. Simply swap the wires from the signal on the terminal strip, and then when the switch is pushed down, the right signal will activate... Nothing to it....

Quote Originally Posted by ripperfarms View Post
    I have Hella turn signals on my are R50.

They are on the right-hand side but the problem is it seems like they are backwards… When you turn left you have to flip the switch down with your thumb .....when you turn right the switch is flipped up.

I had them on a R27 and I thought they were the other way it makes sense to me to push the switch down to go right and up to go left. Or maybe that is the way my R75/6 was. It just seems backwards.

Is it possible to reverse the switch someway......?..

Thanks for your help......Dave

Quote Originally Posted by vechbmw View Post
    Dave,
    I agree, some one wired it backwards. Remove the headlight reflector out of the headlight. If they wired it in the conventional way. you will find a short two conductor terminal strip in the bucket, that connects the wires from the switch to the wires coming from each signal. Simply swap the wires from the signal on the terminal strip, and then when the switch is pushed down, the right signal will activate... Nothing to it....

Thanks..........I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by vechbmw View Post
    Dave,
    Well I tried rewiring the block in the headlight.....as always things take longer and cost more but for this one there was no cost except our patience.

Because I have a neck problem I took off the headlight and when I tried to look to a block that was attached to the roof of the bucket I could not bend my neck that way so I got a friend of mine to help me. Before he got here I thought we might as well use a test light to see which screws were holding down the turn signal wires. But as it turns out none of those terminals were it. We finally found a little loose 4screw block that was the connector. but as usual as we tried to loosen two screws on one side to switch the wires we could not get one screw out. So we put them back in and tried the other side.....same problem one of the screws just would not come out. So we noticed both wires had a splice in them so we took the splices apart. As I have a side car on the bike one of the wires has the extra sidecar wire. Well we switched them but when testing the signals we noticed the sidecar light (on the right) came on with the left turn signal. We could only surmise that before I switched the wires the side car turn signal must have been on when the left turn signal was used. So we switched it to the right wire so it would work with the right handle bar turn signal.

It works good now and when you push the lever (switch) down the right turn signal works and the side car right signal works.

I'm really glad I wanted that switch changed....... I think I could have been confusing the cars behind me.

Thanks for everyone's help................dave in central IL