• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shad SH-48 Top Case with Admore Lighting

fordtech50

If you're on the fence about a Shad case I would recommend them highly based on price and quality. Light weight. Rode down highway on a windy day- felt some weaving from bike but no blowing around. Weaving may or may not be related to case. I just never remember feeling it before at speeds over 80. I'm gonna test that out with and without case mounted to see if it is having an effect.
Got the SH-48 in Titanium/Flat black to match the overall flat paint on the bike. They sell top pieces that snap on in different colors too. Had heard horror stories about dealing with the US distributor but they answered my email with a call the next day and assured me they had just received a shipping container full and were fully stocked. Ordered everything and received within a week.
Got the dual backrests for passengers and the Admore light kit for increased visibility in the back. Dual backrest holes need to be drilled but there are dimples inside the case where you drill the holes.
The only beef I have is the RT specific mount kit is expensive for what you get. Install not too bad except for holding the brackets and spacers under the oe luggage rack while you get the bolts started. You can move it forward or rearward to a certain extent but I chose the mounting location in the middle using the slotted holes and the shorter Allen head screws they supply. Seems the more solid way to mount. The other option is their longer bolts and plastic square inserts which go into the square holes in the Mounting plate. Solid mount and doesn't look bad when case is removed. Light kit install fairly easy. Ran the wires under the luggage rack and attached with 2 wire ties- was a little tricky- had to remove black Shad mount cover and use long needle nose pliers. Ran harness behind right side bodywork after removing a couple screws to allow plastic to be pulled back enough to feed harness in. The controller built into the harness is thick. Tapped into the tail-light harness and power point harness for power and ground. The case lights stay on for about a minute or so after key is turned off. No biggie since the leds draw so little. Had some leftover pieces of foam type tape pieces from Sat radio install kits and used to hold harness to inside of case. The stuff sticks good but comes right off and leaves no sticky glue behind.

The lights look great at night! There are 8 leds on each side. The 4 red light up as tail lights and get bright when you hit the brakes. The other 4 are orange and flash with the turn sigs. The reds go out and the oranges come on. They flash at a different rate/time than the stock TS bulbs (not in sync unless by chance at times) so they are real noticeable.

The Shad box key works like a stock case- you don't have to use the key every time- can leave it set to the open position and just push the cylinder to open.

Hopefully these pictures attach. Also added an SW-Motech Ion Tankbag. Quick release with a tank ring adaptor. They said they discontinued the EVO adaptor so the ION bag line is the only option from them for the RT prior to 2014- not sure about the new models. The ION bag top cover plastic map screen is touch screen capable. So you can have a smart phone zipped in there and touch the plastic cover to operate it.

The bright light in front of the bike in garage is the LED parking light bulbs only- no headlights! key on engine off

Attachments

• 2015-10-14 19.44.20.jpg
    2015-10-14 19.44.20.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20151014_170601.jpg
    20151014_170601.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 2015-10-14 19.43.20.jpg
    2015-10-14 19.43.20.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
More Photos

You have to drill a hole for Led strip plugs to go through and I used a very thin round file to elongate the holes and sealed the holes with RTV silicone to keep any water from leaking into the case. They also supply you with a drill bit for the main connector which has a rubber washer to seal out water. This allows you to disconnect to remove top case.

Attachments

• 20151014_170556.jpg
    20151014_170556.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20151014_170656.jpg
    20151014_170656.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20151014_170758.jpg
    20151014_170758.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 91
More Photos

Oh yeah, in the last photo you can see the Avant Rt Machine Moto drilless front fender extender. Here's a shameless plug for Adventure Designs- small family business- great service.

Attachments

• 20151014_170919.jpg
    20151014_170919.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20151014_170606.jpg
    20151014_170606.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20151014_170615.jpg
    20151014_170615.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 92
+1 on the Shad 48. I purchased the same model in late 2011, when that model first came out. It is on the second R1200RT and still working flawlessly. I wouldn't have any other brand. Based upon all that, I just bought another one for my DL650.

Back