Thread: Forum Name Change Suggestion

Forum Name Change Suggestion

It has come to our attention that we're a bit behind the times on the name and description given to this forum for the S1000 model. Admittedly, the forum area was established early on when the only model on the market was the S1000RR. Now there have been some variations. Therefore, the forum description should get a facelift as well.

From some input I've already received, I offer the following as the name of the forum along with the short tag line underneath:

S1000 - The Hothead
    The new 999cc inline-4 engine for the Sport, Roadster, and Adventure models, 2009 - present.

The way I understand it, the S1000RR first came out in 2009 to support the racing scene and then the bike was offered more generally in 2010. I believe that in order for the bike to be raced, it needed to be something someone could order and there was a limited production run in 2009...homologation I think is the term.

I'm not married to my suggestion, but think it covers the basics. We thought we'd get some owner's inputs and see if we can't make it more representative of what you think. After a bit of time, I'll see what I can do to make a change that reflects the general consensus on where we should head.

Thanks for you input!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Looks good to me. It follows the same format as the other sections of the forum.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

Registered User andrewbrandon19's Avatar
    2015 BMW S1000R - The DD
    2014 Toyota Taco - The "guess its raining today"
    2013 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster - SOLD
    2006 Pontiac GTO - SOLD

Nice license plate, Andrew!!
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Nice license plate, Andrew!!
    I had a 2006 Pontiac GTO that I ended up selling last year. That was the plate I ran and since I don't have a good idea for the S1000R yet it seemed like an appropriate avatar to use until I get a good idea lol
    2015 BMW S1000R - The DD
    2006 Pontiac GTO - SOLD

Nice, Andrew! Not to derail things, but I had friends from the '70s that owned a Dodge Charger. They never drove it except when someone would pony up gas money. He's play a game...put $5 on the dash. When he said "GO", you'd try and grad the money when he floored it. Usually, the passenger couldn't overcome the acceleration to reach for the dough.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Nice, Andrew! Not to derail things, but I had friends from the '70s that owned a Dodge Charger. They never drove it except when someone would pony up gas money. He's play a game...put $5 on the dash. When he said "GO", you'd try and grad the money when he floored it. Usually, the passenger couldn't overcome the acceleration to reach for the dough.
    Before the GTO I was driving a 95 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6. All 160hp of it. My plates were SLO V6, and when I first got the goat I ran with them for a year or so with some really amusing looks from drivers behind me. Everyone thought I had some sort of "slow" V6 under the hood. Kept a lot of idiots away that were trying to red light race me which was nice. So in keeping with the spirit, tonight I threw down the ~$40 for Virginia motorcycle tags that say SLO I4
    2015 BMW S1000R - The DD
    2006 Pontiac GTO - SOLD

I like what you propose for the naming;
    S1000 - The Hothead
    The new 999cc inline-4 engine for the Sport, Roadster, and Adventure models, 2009 - present.
    If you need a shorter title possibly
    S1000 - The Hothead
    The new 999cc inline-4 engine for the RR,R,XR 2009 - present.
    2018 R1200RT W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

Hard to understand the need for "hothead."
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Looks like quite a few people stopped by to look and/or provide some input. Thanks!! I went ahead and made the change. Enjoy!!

S series is about sporty, high tech finish to the ground as a platform, regardless of the final build.

From within, we merely refer to as S Series... IMO, that covers it. Less IS more.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    S series is about sporty, high tech finish to the ground as a platform, regardless of the final build.

From within, we merely refer to as S Series... IMO, that covers it. Less IS more.
    Had there been no other S designations it might have worked...but so many other S designations from Boxers to K bikes adding the displacement helps narrow it down.

Recall the huff on both series of K bikes and the F650 confusion as each new series was introed.

When I hear S bike...well, I think about a lot of of other S's . Have a 69S, 11S, R12S and a K12S...I get confused
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

You are reading right to left. The Sub Forums are setup the same way. BMW reads left to right.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/s...tem=node__4499

Brand>Motorcycle>Series(G,F,R,K,S,HP)>Model S1000RR, R, XR)

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Had there been no other S designations it might have worked...but so many other S designations from Boxers to K bikes adding the displacement helps narrow it down.

Recall the huff on both series of K bikes and the F650 confusion as each new series was introed.

When I hear S bike...well, I think about a lot of of other S's . Have a 69S, 11S, R12S and a K12S...I get confused
    There is only 1 S series designation.

The first letter is the engine platform/series. (R)
    The numbers that follow designate the displacement/generation of that engine platform. (1200)
    The letters that follow that designate the build design on top of that platform. (R, RS, RT, GS, GSA)

There have been some variations over time to the second piece (75=750, 100=1000, and of course the "curious" use of 650+700=800...), but the first and third bits have remained consistent.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

I know the different model designations.

Just sayin' standing around the campfire and you say I rode my S today has not inferred a S1000 typically.
    Just as someone saying they ride a F650 often has one asking twin or thumper?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown