• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Forum Name Change Suggestion

Liaison
Staff member
It has come to our attention that we're a bit behind the times on the name and description given to this forum for the S1000 model. Admittedly, the forum area was established early on when the only model on the market was the S1000RR. Now there have been some variations. Therefore, the forum description should get a facelift as well.

From some input I've already received, I offer the following as the name of the forum along with the short tag line underneath:

S1000 - The Hothead
The new 999cc inline-4 engine for the Sport, Roadster, and Adventure models, 2009 - present.

The way I understand it, the S1000RR first came out in 2009 to support the racing scene and then the bike was offered more generally in 2010. I believe that in order for the bike to be raced, it needed to be something someone could order and there was a limited production run in 2009...homologation I think is the term.

I'm not married to my suggestion, but think it covers the basics. We thought we'd get some owner's inputs and see if we can't make it more representative of what you think. After a bit of time, I'll see what I can do to make a change that reflects the general consensus on where we should head.

Thanks for you input!

Nice, Andrew! Not to derail things, but I had friends from the '70s that owned a Dodge Charger. They never drove it except when someone would pony up gas money. He's play a game...put $5 on the dash. When he said "GO", you'd try and grad the money when he floored it. Usually, the passenger couldn't overcome the acceleration to reach for the dough.

Nice, Andrew! Not to derail things, but I had friends from the '70s that owned a Dodge Charger. They never drove it except when someone would pony up gas money. He's play a game...put $5 on the dash. When he said "GO", you'd try and grad the money when he floored it. Usually, the passenger couldn't overcome the acceleration to reach for the dough.

Before the GTO I was driving a 95 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6. All 160hp of it. My plates were SLO V6, and when I first got the goat I ran with them for a year or so with some really amusing looks from drivers behind me. Everyone thought I had some sort of "slow" V6 under the hood. Kept a lot of idiots away that were trying to red light race me which was nice. So in keeping with the spirit, tonight I threw down the ~$40 for Virginia motorcycle tags that say SLO I4 :dance

I like what you propose for the naming;
S1000 - The Hothead
The new 999cc inline-4 engine for the Sport, Roadster, and Adventure models, 2009 - present.
If you need a shorter title possibly
S1000 - The Hothead
The new 999cc inline-4 engine for the RR,R,XR 2009 - present.

Looks like quite a few people stopped by to look and/or provide some input. Thanks!! I went ahead and made the change. Enjoy!!

S series is about sporty, high tech finish to the ground as a platform, regardless of the final build.

From within, we merely refer to as S Series... IMO, that covers it. Less IS more.

S series is about sporty, high tech finish to the ground as a platform, regardless of the final build.

From within, we merely refer to as S Series... IMO, that covers it. Less IS more.

Had there been no other S designations it might have worked...but so many other S designations from Boxers to K bikes adding the displacement helps narrow it down.

Recall the huff on both series of K bikes and the F650 confusion as each new series was introed.

When I hear S bike...well, I think about a lot of of other S's . Have a 69S, 11S, R12S and a K12S...I get confused:hungover :laugh:laugh:laugh

Had there been no other S designations it might have worked...but so many other S designations from Boxers to K bikes adding the displacement helps narrow it down.

Recall the huff on both series of K bikes and the F650 confusion as each new series was introed.

When I hear S bike...well, I think about a lot of of other S's . Have a 69S, 11S, R12S and a K12S...I get confused:hungover :laugh:laugh:laugh

There is only 1 S series designation.

The first letter is the engine platform/series. (R)
The numbers that follow designate the displacement/generation of that engine platform. (1200)
The letters that follow that designate the build design on top of that platform. (R, RS, RT, GS, GSA)

There have been some variations over time to the second piece (75=750, 100=1000, and of course the "curious" use of 650+700=800...), but the first and third bits have remained consistent.

I know the different model designations.

Just sayin' standing around the campfire and you say I rode my S today has not inferred a S1000 typically.
Just as someone saying they ride a F650 often has one asking twin or thumper?

Back