• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200 RT Wunderlich clutch replacement

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Wunderlich clutch parts, or any other aftermarket brand?

If I may be so bold (and not answer your question), why do you need a clutch on a 2011? Seems a bit early to me. In general the dry clutches seem to be pretty robust.

JayJay

If I may be so bold (and not answer your question), why do you need a clutch on a 2011? Seems a bit early to me. In general the dry clutches seem to be pretty robust.

JayJay

Well, it has 80,000 km on it and accelerating hard in 4th, 5th or 6th on the highway at 4000 rpm causes a rise in revs, so something is worn in there. No oil leakage, btw.

Well, it has 80,000 km on it and accelerating hard in 4th, 5th or 6th on the highway at 4000 rpm causes a rise in revs, so something is worn in there. No oil leakage, btw.

I would bet on oil contamination or clutch fluid contamination, but only disassembly will tell for sure.

That sounds like a reasonable excuse to pull it apart to take a look. Thanks.

BTW, I've had good luck, service and very reasonable prices buying parts from Motobins in the UK. Even with currency conversion and shipping, costs for European parts are typically considerably less than buying them in the USA. For example, price for an oilproof (?), heat resistant friction disc for a hex/camhead is 120GBP, which comes to around $185.00 plus shipping. Beemer Boneyard lists it at $259.95.

Those are USD, by the way. Not sure what the conversion to CD is.

JayJay

RT clutch

Well, I guess the mechanic will find out what exactly the issue is. I was just wondering if anyone recommended other-than-BMW parts.

Thanks for the replies.

2011 RT clutch replaced at 80,000 km

Turns out the clutch was worn out. No problems with seals, slave cylinder etc. etc. I had the seals replaced anyway.

On a related point, I was advised that when stopped at a traffic light etc. it is recommended to shift to neutral and release the clutch on the RT.

(I am aware that some say you should keep it in gear for a quick get-away. I think that falls into the same category as wearing hi-viz gear. No conclusive evidence to prove that it helps but might turn out to be a good idea.)

Back