Thread: Archives, no archives

Archives, no archives

I clicked on Archives at the bottom of the forum page and for every "link" I checked, I got "404 Not found".
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

Walter -

Thanks for the heads up...that's something I've not tried very often. I suspect that there's a wrong URL to where the archives are really located. Let me run that up the flagpole and see if I can find out what needs to be done.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

It has taken me a while to track this down. First, the Archive feature was useful a number of years ago when the search spiders needed a simple way to read and catalog a website for content...this was due to the state of the search engines at the time. Now, with better search engine optimization (SEO) techniques, this kind of structure is not necessary anymore.

Second, vBulletin set this up to work on a specific server type (Apache) and when compiled with PHP modules. That is now how we're configured. In fact, when you were to click on the links in the Archive, it mention that "NGINX" was not found...this is an indication of the type of server we're working on.

Third, when such an Archive method worked, it just returned a simple top-down layout of the forum...it's really no different in content then what you see when you're on the regular forum area. So, it was essentially duplicative.

So, since the feature has been overtaken by events, and we're not configured in a way to take advantage of it, it doesn't work for us. Given that, I've removed the link from the forum pages.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!