• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My New to me R80/7

new 80/7

Nice bike, looks great. Take your time getting used to it, don't get a case of the "new bike speedies".

Friedle

Trying to sort out an annoying problem when in 4th or 5th gear at 4-5k RPM has lack of power and a slight bucking. Once past the 5k rpm it pulls strong and smooth. Replaced the things I had not when doing the rebuild. New plug wires and and floats and needles. Sad to say it has not helped :(

How did your carb resynch go? I would certainly do that...plus you might need to think about either changing the needle position to one step richer (this is a coarse change and will result in lower gas mileage) or maybe try a slightly bigger main jet.

How did your carb resynch go? I would certainly do that...plus you might need to think about either changing the needle position to one step richer (this is a coarse change and will result in lower gas mileage) or maybe try a slightly bigger main jet.

Carb synch went well. Got them pretty close. This weekend I am going to check the AFRs using my gauge I use for car tuning. So maybe I will catch something there.

Trying to sort out an annoying problem when in 4th or 5th gear at 4-5k RPM has lack of power and a slight bucking. Once past the 5k rpm it pulls strong and smooth. Replaced the things I had not when doing the rebuild. New plug wires and and floats and needles. Sad to say it has not helped :(

Sounds like you're running okay once you get to the main jet. Do you have the needles set to the right notch? If set too low you'll run lean until the needle is fully lifted and then you'll have switched fueling to the main jet.

Sounds like you're running okay once you get to the main jet. Do you have the needles set to the right notch? If set too low you'll run lean until the needle is fully lifted and then you'll have switched fueling to the main jet.

Can you elaborate on what notch you are talking about? Perhaps a picture would help. Thank you.

JETNEED2.GIF

The attached drawing is the top portion of a carb needle. It regulates the flow of gas through the needle jet. If you have the needle set at position 1 - closest to the top - the needle will be inserted into the jet more than if it was in other positions. Since the needle is deeper into the jet it is restricting the flow of gas MORE, making it run leaner. If you put the needle into position 2, 3 etc. each higher position raises the needle so it's relative position in the jet is higher and it restricts gas flow LESS, making it run richer.

When you twist the throttle you end up raising the needle. By putting the starting point of the needle into the "richer" or higher numbered positions you are effectively raising the needle a little bit.

View attachment 54921

The attached drawing is the top portion of a carb needle. It regulates the flow of gas through the needle jet. If you have the needle set at position 1 - closest to the top - the needle will be inserted into the jet more than if it was in other positions. Since the needle is deeper into the jet it is restricting the flow of gas MORE, making it run leaner. If you put the needle into position 2, 3 etc. each higher position raises the needle so it's relative position in the jet is higher and it restricts gas flow LESS, making it run richer.

When you twist the throttle you end up raising the needle. By putting the starting point of the needle into the "richer" or higher numbered positions you are effectively raising the needle a little bit.

I will check it out when I get a chance. I didn't remove the needles when I cleaned everything. And actually had no idea they had different positions on the needle. Thank you, really appreciate the help.

Probably worth checking snobum's website for recommended needle position for your configuration. I "think" it's second slot. I've got the Bing book out in the shop and can check for you tomorrow. What #'s are on your carb bodies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably worth checking snobum's website for recommended needle position for your configuration. I "think" it's second slot. I've got the Bing book out in the shop and can check for you tomorrow. What #'s are on your carb bodies?

That Bing book is an essential reference for any Airhead. Any one who reads this and wants to have a fighting chance to keep their Airheads running well should spend the money to get a copy.

I'll read through the snowbum again.

The numbers are 64/32/201

Much appreciated. Thank you!!!

I'll read through the snowbum again.

The numbers are 64/32/201

Much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Pretty sure you have a typo there on the third # - should be two different third numbers left/right side and it will be like:

64/32/9 & 64/32/10 or 64/32/11 & 64/32/12

I'll check my book though for 201 as they might have jumped up for the /7's?

The 201 and 202 carbs are listed as belonging to an R80 (also the R45 series but pretty sure it's not that). Also, the carb appears to be the flat top series. The clip position for the jet needle is shown to be the #3 position, as measured from the blunt end of the needle. This would run the carb at the next to highest richest condition for the needle.

Pretty sure you have a typo there on the third # - should be two different third numbers left/right side and it will be like:

64/32/9 & 64/32/10 or 64/32/11 & 64/32/12

I'll check my book though for 201 as they might have jumped up for the /7's?

Left side is 201 and right side is 202

image.jpg

Back