• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where's This?

Visian said:
Bingo. I camped at Rice Tank CG that weekend. :)

See? I said it was easy!

Ian

Yeah Umm Easy, You should have sent me a soil sample to go with the photo. Heheheha

I've never been there, but looks like someday I should.

Thanks Ian, got any more?

I love this thread...

gs_trees.jpg

This was from a previous ride report.... ;)

The trees are darned near a dead giveaway!

Ian

SFDOC said:
Yeah Umm Easy, You should have sent me a soil sample to go with the photo. Heheheha

BTW, SFDOC... the only words dirtier than "soil sample" to an off-road rider are "face plant!" :p

Ian

OK Tough One Here

This one is truly out of this world. Good Luck (There might even be a door prize, to the winner)

Attachments

• Mars Dunes.jpg
    Mars Dunes.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 112
Visian said:
BTW, SFDOC... the only words dirtier than "soil sample" to an off-road rider are "face plant!" :p

Ian

Ian, I didn't mean that kind of sample, but when youÔÇÖre giving me only a one dimensional picture to conduct analysis from it can be pretty hard. Your first tip was ÔÇÿCentral Time ZoneÔÇÖ that excluded the rest of New Mexico. I really thought you were in Death Valley.

For all others, ÔÇÿYes, I'm well traveledÔÇÖ but you cannot show me something man made, or otherwise famous, or area specific, like the Tee-Pees or a bridge over the Mississippi. There arenÔÇÖt that many and each one is its own creation, itÔÇÖs a BIG river.

I've traveled almost all the East-West, West-East Interstates, and some major side roads, those like Route 66 and the Great River Road (HwyÔÇÖs 61/51) as best I could, not all and that means IÔÇÖll go back some day. I've traveled about 80% of the North-South, South-North Interstates with the exception of the areas North of I-76 and East of I-43 (Great Lakes to the New England States) IÔÇÖve visited these locations but not driving.

I really enjoy this page and have tried to give anyone and everyone interested first crack. :lurk

As someone posts a really cool place, I mentally add it to my wish I was there list, so this is a good thread, that should be ÔÇÿSTICKYÔÇÖdÔÇØ for all time use (Scott).

I wasnÔÇÖt ÔÇÿjustÔÇÖ a medic; I have extensive training and useful application in Intelligence Collection, Analysis, and Target Interdiction. No, I donÔÇÖt work for the CIA, they make mistakes that send us to war, and I used to prepare to fight the war.

I still want someone, anyone to guess my desert location posted earlier. (hint it is located off I-40)

Russ

SFDOC said:
This one is truly out of this world. Good Luck (There might even be a door prize, to the winner)

How far off of I-40?

This kinda looks like the Great Sand Dunes NP, but not quite. And that's a fer piece off of I-40.

Ian

Visian said:
How far off of I-40?

This kinda looks like the Great Sand Dunes NP, but not quite. And that's a fer piece off of I-40.

Ian

Ooooo, sorry Ian and others (Post #66 page Five). That's the one off I-40, it's on a service road that comes up from some other place to stop at.

The sand dunes (if you can call it that) is a long way from any Interstates.

Last edited:
SFDOC said:
The sand sunes (if you can call it that) is a long way from any Interstates.

How close is the camera to the subject matter in this picture?

And... where is the road??? ;)

Ian

Visian said:
How close is the camera to the subject matter in this picture?

And... where is the road??? ;)

Ian

Very Close, but wide angle.

Road, I don't believe there are any roads.

SFDOC said:
I don't think he'd go far from home on the R65. I think he's along the Suwannee River?

closer, as far as the location in Florida goes, but that's not a river, at least in the sense that most people think of a river.

And the place is *FAR* more famous than the Suwannee River, at least to motorcyclists. And the road is very, very popular to motorcyclists.

And... the bike was ridden to this location from Atlanta... and back. (my R69S has only 11K miles and is quite reliable for a 35 year-old motorcycle...)

Ian

Ian, I'm not that familiar with that part of FL, I'd say you're in another National Forest (Osceola) but I have no idea if that is popular with MCs.

Daytona Beach is popular with MCs but I don't think you are near there.

It is a very sweet looking R65S, and happy to see that it gets ridden.

I can't help you with the Dunes, so I will leave it up for others.

Any idea where post #66 is at (the one off I-40)?

SFDOC said:
Daytona Beach is popular with MCs but I don't think you are near there.

Oh... I wouldn't be so sure. (dead giveaway...)

It is a very sweet looking R65S, and happy to see that it gets ridden.

I can't help you with the Dunes, so I will leave it up for others.

Any idea where post #66 is at (the one off I-40)?

It's an R69S and it doesn't get ridden nearly enough!

No clue on post #66. I know it isn't my favorite rest stop in OK. :p

Ian

Back