• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

trip to Spokane

I've been wanting to take a trip out west for a long time . This gives me a good reason for a trip(to meet up with 5-6 thousand friends).

its going to be almost as much fun planning this trip as taking it(not really). does anybody have any ideas on the best route out to Spokane from Michigan? Kansas City is as far west as I've ever been on a bike and need a good starting route.

I ussually like to take my trips on secoundary roads (as they are more senic) but may have to mix it up to save time on this one.
I have no idea on how long it is going to take me( I'm thinking 4-5 days each way)
any suggestions would help get me started out on the right foot.

Well Interstate 90 is a good possability. It goes across the top of the US and goes right into Spokane. :dunno

Bill Spurgeon
Cedar Rapids,Iowa

thought about that as a base route , then maybe getting off to go though ppoints of interest.like Mt Rushmore , Grand Tetons, Yellow stone.
thought may take 80 out to like 385 or some thing that cuts up though that way.

zzkvsl said:
I ussually like to take my trips on secoundary roads (as they are more senic) but may have to mix it up to save time on this one.thanks:help :evil

If you are considering a slog across I-90, there are much nicer roads just to the south that you can still make decent time on.

Check out US 18 across South Dakota... it takes you up to Rapid City area, where you can see the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Little Bighorn, Devils Tower...

There is a very nice set of roads in northern Wyoming, US 14 & 16 that take you to Cody. From there, find the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, and US212 into Yellowstone. Or, US 212 takes you over the Beartooth Pass (you can do this as an option off of the Chief Joseph road.)

South of Missoula, Montana, check out US12, which is the Lolo Pass road. Take it to Lewiston, ID, then north on on US95.

There are a TON of other options, but these are a few to get you started.

Keep us posted as you get this going, perhaps a rider from South Bend might want to join up for the ride.

Rte 2

Went to Missoula via Rte 2. It run from St. Ignace to Evertt, WA, passing along the south edge of Glacier National Park. Very little comericial traffic. You could get there in 2 good long days.

Oh Visalia,that sounds like a perfect ride!Now I wish I was an Easterner.Last year when I came home from Trenton I wanted to take the sort of route you described(avoiding the busy season in Sturgis);but I found myself taking the northern route,solo,above the great lakes,country I have never seen before.No regrets,great rides,but that whole stretch between South Dakota,Wyoming,Montana etc,especially the Black Hills,is an unfulfilled dream.
Some day!
Next year or the year after, a MOA rally will bring me that way,after Spokane.:D

US 2 is our plan too. After several trips west we usually blast across the plains in one day on the slab to get it behind us. Our plan for next year (from Cincinnati) is to head north on slab until we hit US 2 and then stay on two to Washington. If you've never been to Glacier you need to ride the road to the summit. Here's a picture of the ride, remember this was the 1st of July last year.

Attachments

• glacier nat park ed through snow.jpg
    glacier nat park ed through snow.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 428
cool pic Ed
I'll have to try to get that in my route

guess that means I'll have to pack cold weather clothes too
Mark

Spokane by Paonia CO

Mark
Before you get to Spokane You have to ride to Paonia Rally in Colorado,date are July 9-12,2004.

We are will be taking from Port Huron roads:
Hwy 69 to Fort Wayne,and rest for night at Lafayette IN,
then 74 west to Springfield IL,
and 36west to Denver,more or less like that.

From Paonia 1000 BMW riders will ride to Spokane!!!:cool:

The Lolo Pass highway South of Missoula, Montana (US12) is easily one of the best roads you will ever ride! I traveled accross it and the "going to the sun" road in Glacier during one trip and I'll take the Lolo Pass road anyday for sheer motorcycling pleasure.

Back