• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600 18,000 mile inspection

keyesjg

My K16 is due for its first 18,000 miles inspection. I have heard a couple horror stories about what this may cost. Apparently checking/adjusting the valves can be a blow-out high $ number. Can anyone tell me what their cost of the 18K inspection was? Or, can anyone tell me what the typical 18K inspection dollar cost is?

My K16 is due for its first 18,000 miles inspection. I have heard a couple horror stories about what this may cost. Apparently checking/adjusting the valves can be a blow-out high $ number. Can anyone tell me what their cost of the 18K inspection was? Or, can anyone tell me what the typical 18K inspection dollar cost is?

I would call my dealer and ask them for an estimate. What you get here might include the $85/hr shop and the $125/hr shop. It is also likely to include the "Oh, I forgot the two tires" reply and other such information.

Did mine this spring.
The only reason I did was to insure there would be no warranty issues.
Shop rate $85 an hour
They sent radiator out for cleaning and pressure testing.
It was surprising how much road tar there was on it.
Out the door it was a little over $1000.
Would I do it again. NO.
Wait till 36k miles

$768 for 18k, $853 for $36k - both were "by the book" with no extras. 36k included two valves having shim adjustments

$768 for 18k, $853 for $36k - both were "by the book" with no extras. 36k included two valves having shim adjustments

That's considerably less than the $1200 I was quoted for the 36k from the barrington dealership. The dealer in countryside wouldn't give me an estimate just saying if any valves were out of spec " it would be a lot more work".

My 30,000km (18,000 mile) service was about $1300 CDN.

It all depends on what you need done on your 18,000 mile service.
Me, I usually do my own maintenance so I just want the valves clearances checked and spark plugs replaced.
I was quoted about $600.00.

Most shop will charge eight hours labor and a little over $300 in parts ($123.30 for six spark plugs!). If you need a valve adjustment allot more. I did mine at home, not that bad of a job took my time. The valves (24) were good, radiator was clean inside but did give the outside a good cleaning (the radiator has to come out to gain access to the valve cover). Refilled the cooling system with BMW coolant and distilled water and bleed the air out through the two bleed screws. But there are allot of small things (clips, brackets, hoses and plastic) to break.

Any Adjustment needed?

For all those who had the 18K service done, was there any adjustment needed? My valves were fine and so were my spark plugs. I wonder if BMW should look into adjusting the scheduled valve checks on this engine

Mine were fine as well as many others I have heard. I;ve also heard of a few who did need minor adjustments, not many, but a few.

Dealers make a lot of money on service, and they quote all different prices because many "add" this or that to the service. I would expect to pay $500-$600 for a valve clearance check. And once you've had one done I'd reconsider having another done until you pile on a lot of miles. 18k interval is a too soon if you ask me.

Dealers make a lot of money on service, and they quote all different prices because many "add" this or that to the service. I would expect to pay $500-$600 for a valve clearance check. And once you've had one done I'd reconsider having another done until you pile on a lot of miles. 18k interval is a too soon if you ask me.

With that engine, you don't want to be wrong.

18,000 mile service

I was quoted $507.66 for the 18K service on a K1600GT...

I asked the dealer I purchased my K1600 B from what the 18,000 mile service would cost. They looked it up and said around $500...... Plus parts! The parts and labor would get the total closer to $800.00 Spark plugs are $26.00 each times 6.

I asked the dealer I purchased my K1600 B from what the 18,000 mile service would cost. They looked it up and said around $500...... Plus parts! The parts and labor would get the total closer to $800.00 Spark plugs are $26.00 each times 6.

Probably more if the valves have to be adjusted. I heard 800 just for that.

Back